Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2019, 09:11 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
there is a whole world that exists outside of california.
Fortunately there is. And I live outside CA for much of the year.
But why jeopardize those who are unfortunate enough to labor under the draconian laws in CA and the other 12 states that use CA Smog laws?
There are other states also use Referees. And in Germany we have TuV ! We don't have SAI here but we do have most of the other smog clutter and AOS

asfaik :Known as "Section 177" states, those 13 are: Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington.
Someone else may know what % of all Boxsters still running world-wide are in California
BTW the penalties for companies selling smog defeat devices are significant
https://www.epa.gov/newsreleases/us-epa-settles-three-southern-california-companies-selling-pollution-control-bypass
I urge a low profile.

Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 09:38 AM   #22

well, i agree. it just seems that any time anyone posts about doing something to their engine, someone from california starts with the 'will it pass ca smog' stuff. i understand if a person is selling a product then yes, ask if it is legal in your state. unfortunately, 99% of the time it's just a guy posting about what he's done to his car, and someone from california wants to know if it's legal in his state, or starts going on about how bad it is because it's not legal in ca.

ultimately it's not our job to determine your risk level with respect to the law, to do the research into the legalities of your jurisdiction, or to drive to your state and determine if what we did to our car is allowed there. if you like the idea and want to try it then get out from behind your computer and do your own homework. it's no different that the guy who says i did this or that to my engine and it feels like it made more power, only to have someone demand dyno results. it's not our job to pay hundreds of $ on a dyno to satisfy you - do it yourself. that's what diy stands for.

sorry, this just triggered a bit of a peeve that's been brewing in me.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 01:01 PM   #23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eezz View Post
I know this is an old thread but I am relatively new to owning a Boxster even though it's a '99. I am hoping to get it to pass the DEQ in Washington without spending a ton of money right now because I am pretty sure I want to install a 3.4 or larger (whatever will bolt up to the 5 speed automatic transmission) at a later date but would like to be able to drive it while I am prepping for that project.

Any new developments on this issue since the last comment in 20174?

Thanks
We always appreciate readers who do a proper search before posting questions that have been discussed before, also makes it easier to find answers in the future by minimizing duplicates.

You should carefully review what will be tested at the DEQ prior to the test & address any issues 1st.
Any non-Turbo M96 engine will bolt up to your 5-speed Tiptronic & it is stronger than a manual trans. The 99-2001 3.4 engine is the most prone to premature wear so it is very hard to find a engine that doesen't need a complete rebuild. For the best trans info call California Motorsports for their input for what ever engine you will install with your 5-Speed. I have a built 3.6 engine that will fit just like your 2.5 but you would probably want to modify the cam timing for max performance & get the full 310 HP.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:04 PM   #24

Garage
Quote:

For many years 1/5th of all Porsches were sold in California

May still be true if you ignore China.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:13 PM   #25
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
There are eight (!) Porsche dealers in LA and OC plus the new Porsche Experience Center. Just sayin'.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 05:53 PM   #26

and that actually crossed my mind as i was typing out my rant - the cali car culture. but even if every diy post is prefaced with "for offroad use only", someone is gonna ask about smog. perhaps it's tied to the quest to own a unicorn - the ultimate street/track car. everybody wants to put race car parts on street cars. you wanna go fast? get a race licence and get a race car. you wanna drive on the street and obey the law? keep the car like the good doctor made it - it goes quick enough right out of the box, thank you very much. there's some hypocracy there - you want to go faster, but you want to be legal. can't have both. i mean, what the heck is 'canyon carving' or 'spirited driving'? sounds like exceeding the speed limit to me. as i guy who just forked over $3300 for 170 in a 100 i understand, but don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

ultimately, if you want to build the fastest machine you can, and are genuinely motivated to keep it street legal, then cool. but when some garage diy'er spends days and days trial and erroring, scraping knuckles, and ordering the wrong parts in an effort to try something new and innovative, and then takes the time to share it, only to have some internet mechanic take 15 seconds out of his day to type "post a dyno" or "will it meet smog" then i kinda get cranky.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 07:58 PM   #27
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Gotta love the rant!
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:24 PM   #28
Certified Boxster Addict

I hear you and you make several very good points! California is very self-centered. We probably don't even realize how much.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 09:05 PM   #29

Quote:
Thank God....
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:35 PM   #30
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
Thank God....
Amen to that.

I lived in San Diego for a while in the mid 90's...couldn't pay me to live there now.

particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote