Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2014, 10:05 AM   #21

Anyone ever try welding a balancer pipe to these TopSpeed mufflers? That might bring the drone down a bit.

Top_Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:23 AM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by all_mota View Post
Anyone ever try welding a balancer pipe to these TopSpeed mufflers? That might bring the drone down a bit.
Just use the easy seal clamps, simpler and made a big difference for me.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:56 AM   #23

I mean something like this(sorry for the poor illustration). A pipe maybe half the diameter or even a little smaller than half connecting the outlet pipes together. You'll notice on the more expensive brand exhausts, they tend to have balancer pipes.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:50 PM   #24

Garage
I installed the Top Speed test pipes and the same type exhaust as Top Speed but different manufacturer this afternoon. HOLLY S__T!!!!! Love the result. The sound is incredible! Now I just hope the cops feel just as positive about it as I do.
Secondary Cat delete
Top Speed Test pipes and Exhaust
NJBoxster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:54 AM   #25

Garage
Are you getting any drone at all? I've heard that installing the test pipes removes the drone altogether, I might consider a set to go with the exhaust.
1977 Lotus Esprit
Honey it's an investment!
Box4two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:07 AM   #26

Garage
Can you post a sound clip? I know there are some on youtube, but I'm not satisfied.

Maybe someone can record a few drive-bys? I can't really gauge how it sounds on the car at a distance from the youtube vids
epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:20 PM   #27

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box4two View Post
Are you getting any drone at all? I've heard that installing the test pipes removes the drone altogether, I might consider a set to go with the exhaust.
No, there is virtually no drone at all. I'm not sure how the exhaust sounds without the test pipes since I had both items installed at the same time following some comments on this board. One thing I will say is that it is loud!

Just uploaded a short vid. Took this with my IPhone. the live sound is deeper.

http://youtu.be/UKGSxRLJ1wU
Secondary Cat delete
Top Speed Test pipes and Exhaust

Last edited by NJBoxster2000; 07-16-2014 at 11:20 PM. Reason: updated with Youtube link to vid
NJBoxster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:29 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoxster2000 View Post
No, there is virtually no drone at all. I'm not sure how the exhaust sounds without the test pipes since I had both items installed at the same time following some comments on this board. One thing I will say is that it is loud!

Just uploaded a short vid. Took this with my IPhone. the live sound is deeper.

My Boxster exhaust - YouTube
Sounds good...
rijc99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:27 PM   #29

Quote:
I mean something like this(sorry for the poor illustration). A pipe maybe half the diameter or even a little smaller than half connecting the outlet pipes together. You'll notice on the more expensive brand exhausts, they tend to have balancer pipes.

I welded a pipe in just like this to attempt to cancel out some drone (the theory was that the sides would help balance each other out by being out of phase) and it made very little difference in the drone unfortunately. It did change the sound a little bit I believe which I like more, but the drone is still quite obnoxious. I'm currently debating trying the 2nd cat bypass pipes or building a quarter wave resonator to lesson the drone.
baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:32 AM   #30

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by baker View Post
I welded a pipe in just like this to attempt to cancel out some drone (the theory was that the sides would help balance each other out by being out of phase) and it made very little difference in the drone unfortunately. It did change the sound a little bit I believe which I like more, but the drone is still quite obnoxious. I'm currently debating trying the 2nd cat bypass pipes or building a quarter wave resonator to lesson the drone.
Get the cat bypass pipes and use the easy seal clamps. No drone for me.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:57 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by baker View Post
srry it didn't help . any vids of the new exhaust sound though? Very cuious to hear how it came out.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:03 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Get the cat bypass pipes and use the easy seal clamps. No drone for me.
Ditto what Bruce said
Old 07-21-2014, 10:00 PM   #33

Quote:
srry it didn't help . any vids of the new exhaust sound though? Very cuious to hear how it came out.
No big deal, I actually welded it in a week or two back and then I just saw this thread - what a coincidence. I already had a piece of stainless that would work, so net cost: whatever power the welder drew while welding and a couple hours of my time. I'll most likely try the cat bypass pipes and let everyone know how that goes, but it's probably going to be a little while before I get that done - I'm a bit stickler about my budgets and have some more pressing items I need to buy.
baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:42 AM   #34

the cat bypass pipes really do cut down on the drone. what is even better is while cruising around, you have an appreciable throaty note coming from the exhaust. there is nothing obnoxious, but a nice deep note. as an added bonus, I also get a bit of a gurgle upon lifting throttle at about 4k and above. before the deletes were installed, I was just running an obx muffler. the muffler alone was a bit louder, but the note was just lacking.

rdass623 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
986 muffler , boxster exhaust , ebay muffler