Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2014, 10:41 AM   #1

Garage
Running into issues with an IMS bearing Change

So, I'm at the point of setting up for the IMS change. I have the tool kit, with the cam lock tools, I've read everything I could find on the subject ( which could be the issue). One article states to lock everything down at TDC with the cam tools and r&r the bearing I bought the Pelican kit, which comes with set screws to pinch lock the
Sprocket according to Wayne's 101 project book. I've spent an hour trying to find an area where all three set screws will bottom on the sprocket. The best I get are 2 out of 3. So does just two work, that being said I can't use he cam locks because I'm no where near TDC.

What's the better method? I see value in both, locking everything makes the most sense, but stabilizing the sprocket at the bearing end has value as well.

Last edited by RayW; 07-20-2014 at 10:58 AM.
RayW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:16 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayW View Post
So, I'm at the point of setting up for the IMS change. I have the tool kit, with the cam lock tools, I've read everything I could find on the subject ( which could be the issue). One article states to lock everything down at TDC with the cam tools and r&r the bearing I bought the Pelican kit, which comes with set screws to pinch lock the
Sprocket according to Wayne's 101 project book. I've spent an hour trying to find an area where all three set screws will bottom on the sprocket. The best I get are 2 out of 3. So does just two work, that being said I can't use he cam locks because I'm no where near TDC.

What's the better method? I see value in both, locking everything makes the most sense, but stabilizing the sprocket at the bearing end has value as well.
Do not use the set screws. Do not follow Wayne's directions. Get a copy of the LN Engineering installation instructions and follow them to the letter.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:23 AM   #3

Garage
Thanks, I'm not always a fan of "shortcuts", but stabilizing the bearing end of the shaft made some sense. I'll try to find the LN instructions.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayW View Post
Thanks, I'm not always a fan of "shortcuts", but stabilizing the bearing end of the shaft made some sense. I'll try to find the LN instructions.
You need to understand that the rear gear on the IMS shaft is pressed on, so pushing on it with set screws is a really bad idea.

Do a Google search for the LN instructions, they are online as a PDF file.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:58 PM   #5

Garage
Yep, if that's pressed I can see why you wouldn't want to use the set screws. Great advise, thanks.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:04 PM   #6

Links to the LN instructions here: IMS Retrofit & Procedure Overview

Link to Bentley video here: Porsche 911 Carrera (996) 1999-2005 - Intermediate shaft (IMS) bearing DIY, how to replace - YouTube
Old 07-21-2014, 03:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Do not follow Wayne's directions
This actually made me laugh out loud.. LOL I should have stopped in and said **hello** on my multiple trips through PA this year

We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote