Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2014, 11:48 PM   #1

Garage
another happy ebay muffler customer

I bit the bullet and bought an ebay muffler. I got the job done in about 2 hours. I have never done any exhaust work and i was able to do this job. Keep in mind my boxster only has 3000 miles so no rust frozen or broken parts.

The muffler says beluga racing however it looks just like the rest of the ebay muffs and it was $255 free shipping. It was a direct replacement and reused the stock clamps. It bolted up ok and is driveable, however the tips arent centered. Im going to have to take a bar to em. They dont hang out past the bumper anymore than the stock tip did.

The sound is much more aggressive than stock however is still quite tame. It definitly growls. I think it has what you all call "drone" a deep somewhat vibration growl at around 2500 rpms, however its not unbarable and i typically dont drive much at that speed.

jimmythemufflers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:24 AM   #2

Same color of your car as mine?
And how's the sound?
HolmaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:43 AM   #3

Garage
Hi there, the sound is very fitting for a porsche. Its not too quiet but not too loud. It does not sound like a rice burner or muscle car. Its unlikely i gained any power but worth the price for the added sound.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:49 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolmaN View Post
Same color of your car as mine?
And how's the sound?
Lapis blue with grey and black interior.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:33 PM   #5

Garage
Sound clipppppp!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by epapp View Post
Sound clipppppp!!!!
Check this out: muffler sound

Raise your volume to its MAX... the sound is very weak
Old 05-03-2014, 05:51 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Check this out: muffler sound

Raise your volume to its MAX... the sound is very weak
That funny
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythemufflers View Post
I bit the bullet and bought an ebay muffler. I got the job done in about 2 hours. I have never done any exhaust work and i was able to do this job. Keep in mind my boxster only has 3000 miles so no rust frozen or broken parts.

The muffler says beluga racing however it looks just like the rest of the ebay muffs and it was $255 free shipping. It was a direct replacement and reused the stock clamps. It bolted up ok and is driveable, however the tips arent centered. Im going to have to take a bar to em. They dont hang out past the bumper anymore than the stock tip did.

The sound is much more aggressive than stock however is still quite tame. It definitly growls. I think it has what you all call "drone" a deep somewhat vibration growl at around 2500 rpms, however its not unbarable and i typically dont drive much at that speed.
Looks just like the one I installed from Top Speed?? Way better pricing though. lol. I had to tweak mine a bit to center it as well. I think the "drone" is nothing big and will probably settle out once I've ran it for a while. Gotta break them in a bit to get their true resonance. I believe that all mufflers are this way.
JBoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:31 PM   #9

The way to eliminate the drone is to get the 2ndary cat bypass as well from top speed and then you will realize the full benefit without the drone.

however thats only possible if you have 4 cats total, 2 in the headers with all the o2 sensors and the 2nd cats with NO sensors.

removing the 2nd non sensored cats makes a big difference in throttle response with my 01 S with egas. The throttle response is awesome now and the sound is pure sports car music.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 05-03-2014 at 08:33 PM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
The way to eliminate the drone is to get the 2ndary cat bypass as well from top speed and then you will realize the full benefit without the drone.

however thats only possible if you have 4 cats total, 2 in the headers with all the o2 sensors and the 2nd cats with NO sensors.

removing the 2nd non sensored cats makes a big difference in throttle response with my 01 S with egas. The throttle response is awesome now and the sound is pure sports car music.
My test pipes are ordered and I'm anxiously awaiting them. I've read this info before and that's why I decided to order both from Top Speed. Good guys thus far and I even ended up getting the front strut bar from them also.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:58 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post

Ill have to climb back under the car and check. Do you bypass the cats on the headers or the ones right behind the mufflers? The only after market headers ive found all have no cats, but a hole for an o2 sensor.

I only meantion the drone as an informational tid bit in case anybody is interested in the same muffler. I barely notice it.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:12 AM   #12

Sound-wise all you need to agree with is "it can't be worst than the stock boxster sound"

I won't lie I kinda like the drone resonance/effect, or sound whatever you call it. Maybe not appropriate if you plan a long road trip vacation with your partner and need a true in-car conversation, but for the fun of it, I think drone (resonance) is priceless lol

Go-Go eBay muffler! Nice addition and well done mate
Old 05-04-2014, 07:43 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythemufflers View Post
Ill have to climb back under the car and check. Do you bypass the cats on the headers or the ones right behind the mufflers? The only after market headers ive found all have no cats, but a hole for an o2 sensor.

I only meantion the drone as an informational tid bit in case anybody is interested in the same muffler. I barely notice it.
The cats on the headers have the O2 sensors. You are getting rid of the secondary cats which do not have sensors. Here is a link to Top Speed's cat bypass pipes:

Porsche 986 Boxster 2.7L & 3.2L Including Boxster S 2000-2004 50mm Bolt-on Cats Test Pipes
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
The cats on the headers have the O2 sensors. You are getting rid of the secondary cats which do not have sensors. Here is a link to Top Speed's cat bypass pipes:

Porsche 986 Boxster 2.7L & 3.2L Including Boxster S 2000-2004 50mm Bolt-on Cats Test Pipes
The website does say "will not pass emissions" but everything I've read here insists as long as you don't mess with the first set of cats you are fine (which makes sense given the location of the O2 sensors). For around $500 the pipes and the muffler seem like a great deal and an excellent way to beef up the otherwise tame sound, also $1000 less than the Fabspeed system.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:21 AM   #15

Garage
Mine passes emissions testing without any problems.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:59 AM   #16

I had the same exhaust on my boxster (it's a good entry level aftermarket). I've since gotten a stebro exhaust which is my throatier and louder. I can sell my old one to anyone who is interested for cheap. It's been sitting in my garage. PM if interested.
19" MHT Rims
Evo Intake, De-Snorkeled
CVstarBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:01 PM   #17

At least in CA and AZ it may pass the sniff test but it would fail the visual.

By the way Top Speed still does not have the cat by pass pipe in stock. I am on the waiting list and have been told late May.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:40 PM   #18

The induction sound from the side air scoop is enough for me.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
At least in CA and AZ it may pass the sniff test but it would fail the visual.

By the way Top Speed still does not have the cat by pass pipe in stock. I am on the waiting list and have been told late May.
I've had many highly modified vehicles that pass the sniff test, but shouldn't pass the visual. Somehow they pass. I think a lot of guys running the stations are car guys too. If it passes the sniff they just accept it. When it doesn't, then they look. Just my .02.

I'm on the waiting list as well and have been for well over a month now...
Old 07-09-2014, 09:22 AM   #20

Garage
I just installed the same exhaust this morning. Sounds great, and yes definitely drone between 2500-3000, but doesn't bother me....( for now)
Overall it was an easy in and out job and perfect fit.

1977 Lotus Esprit
Honey it's an investment!
Box4two is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
986 muffler , boxster exhaust , ebay muffler