Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2014, 04:59 PM   #1

Unhappy Weird Issue: Not turning over... Tried everything

As the title states wont start but here's the details.

So i bought a 98 with a bad motor and swapped a good one in (both 2.5 ect). Everything worked fine for a few weeks while in the garage but after pulling it forward and back a few times it wont start at all now. I replaced my ignition switch (the mechanical and electrical) with a known working one out of my old wrecked car. I can jump the starter and it turns over (doesnt fire) and sparks so its not the starter.

Is there a fuse or relay for the starter? would it be the clutch sensor not working (meaning it thinks the clutch isnt engaged?). I just dont understand how everything works fine then nothing.

Interior lights all work, headlights ect, the battery is charged. snt

Any ideas on what to check? it started easy before and now jumping the starter isnt starting so im thinking the fuel pump ect isnt kicking on. I never replaced the black electrical box on the ignition, i think its the immobilizer. Could that be the issue as its the same original one.

Thanks guys and if you can help and need parts let me know i have a wrecked one i parted out that id be willing to help you out in return.

Thanks Brian

Brian0icu812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:10 PM   #2
Beginner

Garage
Do you have fuel pressure? You can pull the fuel QD at the lower left firewall and you should get squirted with gas, if you don't you have a bad fuel pump.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:13 PM   #3
Beginner

Garage
And the title says it wont turn over, but the post says it does. That is a little confusing.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:36 PM   #4

So the starter turns when 'jumped' but not when you turn the key?
Fuel pump- you should hear it start after turning key on and there's a Schrader valve fitting on the right fuel rail for a pressure tester.
The main DME relay is in the trunk and I think this can cause 'silence' with key-on.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:42 PM   #5

Can you change the clutch interlock with another?
Often the first think to let us down is the last thing we fixed. IE- a loose ground or other wire/ connector.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:37 PM   #6

Yes correct it only turns over when jumped

Yes i hear a humming when the key is to the ignition on selection
and I dont have a clutch interlock as the wrecked one was triptronic

Other thought: it seems like a anti theft or kill switch b/c everything worked (approx 10 starts over 2 weeks) and did nothing different or changed anything to make it not start. Everything seems correct except it does not turn over. I have to double check the fuel pump though as the humming noise could be something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
Can you change the clutch interlock with another?
Often the first think to let us down is the last thing we fixed. IE- a loose ground or other wire/ connector.

Last edited by Brian0icu812; 02-08-2014 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:21 PM   #7

I did close the top from the service position before it quit starting but i then tried it with it back in the service position, up down and all positions out of desperation but still no click or noise from the starter.

Also this may help, when it was starting it had a bad mechanical ignition switch and didnt spring back once started so the starter was still engaged while it was running. Would this of fried a relay? It was never running more than 5 minutes.

Tomorrow morning i will bridge the clutch micro switch to see if thats the problem. Does anyone have a relay diagram so i can check the starter relay

Last edited by Brian0icu812; 02-08-2014 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:06 AM   #8
Custom User Title Here

Garage
My guess would be the clutch switch. This happened to me once and it was just the floor mat stuck under the pedal.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:07 AM   #9

Just tried the micro switch. 1 holding it down... nothing, and then i used a wire to jump the two posts and still nothing so this seems to be good.

So Summary:
- Doesnt start, no click or noise what so ever, all interior/dash lights work fine
- If the starter is jumped it will attempt to start but wont fire (acts like dosent get gas)
- Ruled out ignition switch (mechanical and electrical), battery and clutch microswitch

Possibilities:
Immobilizer, key?, ground wire? (although i checked all the ones i could find),

Prior to problem:
-Engine was replaced, then worked fine for a few weeks after new engine was put in(started first time everytime)
-Ignition mechanical switch was bad, wouldnt spring back after started
-Before the engine replacement everything worked as should with the starter just didnt fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
My guess would be the clutch switch. This happened to me once and it was just the floor mat stuck under the pedal.

Last edited by Brian0icu812; 02-09-2014 at 10:03 AM.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:49 AM   #10

Sounds similar to my issue only mine is intermittent. When my problem occurs I am able to roll the car and pop start it in second gear.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
kcld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:02 AM   #11

Update: replaced the fuel pump relay (13 in foot compartment), dme relay and the start lock relay (1,7 in trunk)
Still nothing, I also checked for any error codes with my obdII and nothing

Also the fuel pump is not kicking on (why i changed the relay)

Does yours start after the initial rolling start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcld View Post
Sounds similar to my issue only mine is intermittent. When my problem occurs I am able to roll the car and pop start it in second gear.

Last edited by Brian0icu812; 02-09-2014 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:01 AM   #12

Yes mine starts when push started then subsequently starts with the key fine until it decides not to.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:24 PM   #13
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
What method did you use to "jump" the starter?
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:44 PM   #14

I actually connected wires to the positive and solenoid, ran them into the cabin with a momentary switch. Works well to crank the starter over but when my car is experiencing the condition the starter spins but it still won't fire. But the car will still roll start.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:06 PM   #15

I used a screw driver to make sure it was getting juice and worked.
Its not getting fuel as well though b/c it fired 1st time every time before that, jumping it doesnt even try to fire other then turning over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
What method did you use to "jump" the starter?
Old 02-10-2014, 01:55 PM   #16

got schematics and a voltmeter?
Old 04-01-2014, 04:09 PM   #17

I know its been awhile but it was a rough winter here and didnt get much time to get to the garage.
Yes i have a voltmeter but i dont know where to start.

If the immobilizer when bad what would happen? I'm thinking this is what went bad, or the ecu itself. The person i bought it off of said it was rechipped with a performance chip but i find it odd why it worked fine for a couple weeks. Changing the original trans from this engine from auto to manual shouldn't of made a difference since the engine part#'s are the same.

This weekend i'll try the rolling/pop the clutch to see if that starts it but i kinda doubt it since the fuel pump didnt seem to be kicking on either with the starter
Old 04-01-2014, 05:09 PM   #18
Beginner

Garage
When you swapped ignition switches, did you swap keys as well? If so, did you swap the innards of the keys?
Old 04-01-2014, 05:43 PM   #19
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
If you changed the entire ignition switch (not just the electrical part) and the keys, you need to remove the metal key from the fob and install the metal key in your old fob (remote control).
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.

Last edited by Paul; 04-01-2014 at 05:45 PM.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:18 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
If you changed the entire ignition switch (not just the electrical part) and the keys, you need to remove the metal key from the fob and install the metal key in your old fob (remote control).
I kept everything original in the car except the engine, after that it started and ran fine for a couple weeks and now nothing