Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical chat

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2014, 11:04 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 16
The Snorkle - why?

Hi

I know the 'to' or 'not to' desnorkle the car has been done to death, but I have a question which in reading many posts here and on other sites I haven't really seen an answer for.

What is the engineering or design principle Porsche had when designing and manufacturing the snorkel.

I have read lots of desnorkle discussion on slightly more power (marginal) better induction noise (good), to not to desnorkle because of slight mid range torque/power loss and it came from Porsche like that so why change.

I had a look at my car (MY2004 S) last night and gave the snorkel a wiggle and a good pull - wouldn't budge! They have obviously inserted it so that it can be kept in there for good or you break something (not good as I only want to do things that can be changed back).

I've had a 993 before and its air box was a box with a hole in it in the engine bay so obviously Porsche has previously thought a simple hole was okay at the start of the induction system.

I looking at the snorkle, it occurred to me it looked a lot like an airflow restrictor you have on racing cars to restrict power to a given level which made me wonder if it is:

- just an air restrictor - the external evidence of Porsche restricting the engine system (intake and exhaust) to keep power within a given level
- is it designed to pull in air from closer to the grill
- purely to manage induction noise

There must have been a good reasons for them to have done what they did, they did put it there because they had a good reason....?
Ranfurly66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:27 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranfurly66 View Post
Hi

I know the 'to' or 'not to' desnorkle the car has been done to death, but I have a question which in reading many posts here and on other sites I haven't really seen an answer for.

What is the engineering or design principle Porsche had when designing and manufacturing the snorkel.

I have read lots of desnorkle discussion on slightly more power (marginal) better induction noise (good), to not to desnorkle because of slight mid range torque/power loss and it came from Porsche like that so why change.

I had a look at my car (MY2004 S) last night and gave the snorkel a wiggle and a good pull - wouldn't budge! They have obviously inserted it so that it can be kept in there for good or you break something (not good as I only want to do things that can be changed back).

I've had a 993 before and its air box was a box with a hole in it in the engine bay so obviously Porsche has previously thought a simple hole was okay at the start of the induction system.

I looking at the snorkle, it occurred to me it looked a lot like an airflow restrictor you have on racing cars to restrict power to a given level which made me wonder if it is:

- just an air restrictor - the external evidence of Porsche restricting the engine system (intake and exhaust) to keep power within a given level
- is it designed to pull in air from closer to the grill
- purely to manage induction noise

There must have been a good reasons for them to have done what they did, they did put it there because they had a good reason....?
Anyone that sells cars in Europe is required to meet the EU sound generation limits (based upon the ultra conservative Swiss model), which is why the intake has sound baffle,s and cars with factory PSE have valves that silence the exhaust under certain conditions.

As far as more power, pulling it on a dyno showed exactly no improvement, so there is not real reason to remove it, other than to make noise.
__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein

Last edited by JFP in PA; 03-03-2014 at 11:32 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:16 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Dlirium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 583
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Anyone that sells cars in Europe is required to meet the EU sound generation limits (based upon the ultra conservative Swiss model), which is why the intake has sound baffle,s and cars with factory PSE have valves that silence the exhaust under certain conditions.

As far as more power, pulling it on a dyno showed exactly no improvement, [U]so there is not real reason to remove it, other than to make noise[/U].
Which, btw, is a fine reason...
__________________
2000 S - Borla Exhaust, TS Cat Deletes, RSS UDP, B&M Short Shift, T96 Steering Wheel, Potenza RE-71R's,
Mantis 2.0L Deep Sump, de-snorkeled, Bilstein PSS9 Coil-Overs, Rennline lug studs, and auto crossed regularly
.
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:38 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlirium View Post
Which, btw, is a fine reason...
If you say so............................
__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:41 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Dlirium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 583
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
If you say so............................
Is it not generally accepted that this mod is a "personal preference", some like the sound and some don't?

Are you suggesting that there is good reason NOT to remove it?
__________________
2000 S - Borla Exhaust, TS Cat Deletes, RSS UDP, B&M Short Shift, T96 Steering Wheel, Potenza RE-71R's,
Mantis 2.0L Deep Sump, de-snorkeled, Bilstein PSS9 Coil-Overs, Rennline lug studs, and auto crossed regularly
.
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:31 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlirium View Post
Is it not generally accepted that this mod is a "personal preference", some like the sound and some don't?

Are you suggesting that there is good reason NOT to remove it?
I'm saying that the effort is a waste of time. But it's your time, so waste it however you please...................
__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:51 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Little Rock,Ar
Posts: 357
I'm very glad that my new to me 2000 S came desnorkeled.The response to throttle positions during the different RPM ranges is vocalized.

This is part 1 of 3 of the brilliant intake/power engineering of the engine.



(FIRST) movement- Variable induction sounds

(SECOND) movement-The mechanical processing of the induction with the valve train

(THIRD) movement-The rise of the exhaust note as it reports

All of this is placed at the driver's left ear on left hand drive cars.Tremendous!
litespeedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:01 PM   #8
There Is No Substitute.
 
rick3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: West Coast
Posts: 3,066
Garage
I don't claim to know the snorkels purpose, however in the past it has been mentioned that it was there to help keep water and other debris out of the intake, in addition to helping reduce engine noise.
__________________
1999 Ocean Blue Metallic Boxster - blueboxster.com
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:54 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Dlirium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 583
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by litespeedp View Post
I'm very glad that my new to me 2000 S came desnorkeled.The response to throttle positions during the different RPM ranges is vocalized.

This is part 1 of 3 of the brilliant intake/power engineering of the engine.



(FIRST) movement- Variable induction sounds

(SECOND) movement-The mechanical processing of the induction with the valve train

(THIRD) movement-The rise of the exhaust note as it reports

All of this is placed at the driver's left ear on left hand drive cars.Tremendous!
Unfortunately you are incorrect. According to JFP below, you have completely waisted your time.
__________________
2000 S - Borla Exhaust, TS Cat Deletes, RSS UDP, B&M Short Shift, T96 Steering Wheel, Potenza RE-71R's,
Mantis 2.0L Deep Sump, de-snorkeled, Bilstein PSS9 Coil-Overs, Rennline lug studs, and auto crossed regularly
.
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:26 AM   #10
Registered User
 
RawleyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlirium View Post
Unfortunately you are incorrect. According to JFP below, you have completely waisted your time.
He didn't waste his time, the previous owner did.

And if your car came desnorkled, you wouldn't have any basis of comparison. Maybe lightspeed would have liked the sound better with the snorkel on?

__________________
RawleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:39 AM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: California
Posts: 466
I sense some bitterness. Crazy. Maybe some people like the sound better with it removed, to each his own.
__________________
"Blind acceptance is a sign, of stupid fools who stand in line."
Slate 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:48 AM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlirium View Post
Unfortunately you are incorrect. According to JFP below, you have completely waisted your time.
Kind of reminds me of when kids put baseball cards in the spokes of their bikes to make noise..............

__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:09 AM   #13
Registered User
 
Nine8Six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Montreal, QC. (currently expat to Shanghai)
Posts: 3,085
Sound is VERY important... for sport & super cars anyway. Desnokle, add a aftermarket exhaust.... at least (min) drill some huge holes somewhere/anywhere to make it better than what a Porsche Boxster sounds original

(like an electric vehicle?!)
__________________
______________________________
'97 Boxster base model 2.5L, Guards Red/Tan leather, with a new but old Alpine am/fm radio.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:34 AM   #14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Sound is VERY important... for sport & super cars anyway. Desnokle, add a aftermarket exhaust.... at least (min) drill some huge holes somewhere/anywhere to make it better than what a Porsche Boxster sounds original

(like an electric vehicle?!)
No, consistently lower lap times, reproducible and statistically significant improvements in horsepower and/or torque in a usable RPM range, or improvements in the engine's ability to survive are very important; sound is pure fluff.........
__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:31 PM   #15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Winnipeg MB
Posts: 2,486
It may be fluff, and I totally agree with what you're saying about it being a useless mod, but it puts a smile on my face. That's gotta be worth something.

And yes, I used to put baseball cards in my spokes, so I guess the die was already cast long ago.
__________________
'99 black 986
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:59 PM   #16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Kind of reminds me of when kids put baseball cards in the spokes of their bikes to make noise..............

Looks like he's trying to give his bike more Agusto.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:26 PM   #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: California
Posts: 466
Please remove stick out of your arse. YOu don't like it cause you are hardcore track dude, great, we bow to your prowess, you are the most awesome boxster owner, we aren't worthy to be in your awesome trackdude presence. There you happy? Dang, some people are tight@$$.
__________________
"Blind acceptance is a sign, of stupid fools who stand in line."

Last edited by Slate 01; 03-05-2014 at 04:03 AM.
Slate 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:59 PM   #18
Rennzenn
 
j.fro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,355
Garage
I thought that somewhere somebody had posted Dyno results showing 5hp on the top end for de-snorked cars.
__________________
Rennzenn
Jfro@rennzenn.com
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:57 PM   #19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: California
Posts: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro View Post
I thought that somewhere somebody had posted Dyno results showing 5hp on the top end for de-snorked cars.
Don't screw up PF Flyers jag with dyno facts.
__________________
"Blind acceptance is a sign, of stupid fools who stand in line."
Slate 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:13 PM   #20
DIY extremist
 
black_box's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 348
I love the sound of low rpm / WOT acceleration with the snorkel pulled. Sounds like serious business.
__________________
"Betty" -- 2000 Boxster S, Triple Black, loaded except PSM (sold to a good home)
"Veronica" -- 2008 Boxster S, Arctic Silver on Blue
"Maleficent" -- 2007 Cayman S, Red and Black, TPC Turbo 3.6L 460 RWHP, H&R RSS Coilover / TPC stage 2 suspension
black_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page