View Single Post
Old 03-03-2014, 11:27 AM   #2
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranfurly66 View Post
Hi

I know the 'to' or 'not to' desnorkle the car has been done to death, but I have a question which in reading many posts here and on other sites I haven't really seen an answer for.

What is the engineering or design principle Porsche had when designing and manufacturing the snorkel.

I have read lots of desnorkle discussion on slightly more power (marginal) better induction noise (good), to not to desnorkle because of slight mid range torque/power loss and it came from Porsche like that so why change.

I had a look at my car (MY2004 S) last night and gave the snorkel a wiggle and a good pull - wouldn't budge! They have obviously inserted it so that it can be kept in there for good or you break something (not good as I only want to do things that can be changed back).

I've had a 993 before and its air box was a box with a hole in it in the engine bay so obviously Porsche has previously thought a simple hole was okay at the start of the induction system.

I looking at the snorkle, it occurred to me it looked a lot like an airflow restrictor you have on racing cars to restrict power to a given level which made me wonder if it is:

- just an air restrictor - the external evidence of Porsche restricting the engine system (intake and exhaust) to keep power within a given level
- is it designed to pull in air from closer to the grill
- purely to manage induction noise

There must have been a good reasons for them to have done what they did, they did put it there because they had a good reason....?
Anyone that sells cars in Europe is required to meet the EU sound generation limits (based upon the ultra conservative Swiss model), which is why the intake has sound baffle,s and cars with factory PSE have valves that silence the exhaust under certain conditions.

As far as more power, pulling it on a dyno showed exactly no improvement, so there is not real reason to remove it, other than to make noise.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 03-03-2014 at 11:32 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote