986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   The Snorkle - why? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/51014-snorkle-why.html)

Ranfurly66 03-03-2014 11:04 AM

The Snorkle - why?

Hi

I know the 'to' or 'not to' desnorkle the car has been done to death, but I have a question which in reading many posts here and on other sites I haven't really seen an answer for.

What is the engineering or design principle Porsche had when designing and manufacturing the snorkel.

I have read lots of desnorkle discussion on slightly more power (marginal) better induction noise (good), to not to desnorkle because of slight mid range torque/power loss and it came from Porsche like that so why change.

I had a look at my car (MY2004 S) last night and gave the snorkel a wiggle and a good pull - wouldn't budge! They have obviously inserted it so that it can be kept in there for good or you break something (not good as I only want to do things that can be changed back).

I've had a 993 before and its air box was a box with a hole in it in the engine bay so obviously Porsche has previously thought a simple hole was okay at the start of the induction system.

I looking at the snorkle, it occurred to me it looked a lot like an airflow restrictor you have on racing cars to restrict power to a given level which made me wonder if it is:

- just an air restrictor - the external evidence of Porsche restricting the engine system (intake and exhaust) to keep power within a given level
- is it designed to pull in air from closer to the grill
- purely to manage induction noise

There must have been a good reasons for them to have done what they did, they did put it there because they had a good reason....?

JFP in PA 03-03-2014 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranfurly66 (Post 389356)
Hi

I know the 'to' or 'not to' desnorkle the car has been done to death, but I have a question which in reading many posts here and on other sites I haven't really seen an answer for.

What is the engineering or design principle Porsche had when designing and manufacturing the snorkel.

I have read lots of desnorkle discussion on slightly more power (marginal) better induction noise (good), to not to desnorkle because of slight mid range torque/power loss and it came from Porsche like that so why change.

I had a look at my car (MY2004 S) last night and gave the snorkel a wiggle and a good pull - wouldn't budge! They have obviously inserted it so that it can be kept in there for good or you break something (not good as I only want to do things that can be changed back).

I've had a 993 before and its air box was a box with a hole in it in the engine bay so obviously Porsche has previously thought a simple hole was okay at the start of the induction system.

I looking at the snorkle, it occurred to me it looked a lot like an airflow restrictor you have on racing cars to restrict power to a given level which made me wonder if it is:

- just an air restrictor - the external evidence of Porsche restricting the engine system (intake and exhaust) to keep power within a given level
- is it designed to pull in air from closer to the grill
- purely to manage induction noise

There must have been a good reasons for them to have done what they did, they did put it there because they had a good reason....?

Anyone that sells cars in Europe is required to meet the EU sound generation limits (based upon the ultra conservative Swiss model), which is why the intake has sound baffle,s and cars with factory PSE have valves that silence the exhaust under certain conditions.

As far as more power, pulling it on a dyno showed exactly no improvement, so there is not real reason to remove it, other than to make noise.

Dlirium 03-03-2014 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 389359)
Anyone that sells cars in Europe is required to meet the EU sound generation limits (based upon the ultra conservative Swiss model), which is why the intake has sound baffle,s and cars with factory PSE have valves that silence the exhaust under certain conditions.

As far as more power, pulling it on a dyno showed exactly no improvement, [U]so there is not real reason to remove it, other than to make noise[/U].

Which, btw, is a fine reason...

JFP in PA 03-03-2014 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dlirium (Post 389375)
Which, btw, is a fine reason...

If you say so............................

Dlirium 03-03-2014 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 389378)
If you say so............................

Is it not generally accepted that this mod is a "personal preference", some like the sound and some don't?

Are you suggesting that there is good reason NOT to remove it?

JFP in PA 03-03-2014 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dlirium (Post 389379)
Is it not generally accepted that this mod is a "personal preference", some like the sound and some don't?

Are you suggesting that there is good reason NOT to remove it?

I'm saying that the effort is a waste of time. But it's your time, so waste it however you please...................

litespeedp 03-03-2014 03:51 PM

I'm very glad that my new to me 2000 S came desnorkeled.The response to throttle positions during the different RPM ranges is vocalized.

This is part 1 of 3 of the brilliant intake/power engineering of the engine.

(FIRST) movement- Variable induction sounds

(SECOND) movement-The mechanical processing of the induction with the valve train

(THIRD) movement-The rise of the exhaust note as it reports

All of this is placed at the driver's left ear on left hand drive cars.Tremendous!

rick3000 03-03-2014 04:01 PM

I don't claim to know the snorkels purpose, however in the past it has been mentioned that it was there to help keep water and other debris out of the intake, in addition to helping reduce engine noise.

Dlirium 03-03-2014 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by litespeedp (Post 389392)
I'm very glad that my new to me 2000 S came desnorkeled.The response to throttle positions during the different RPM ranges is vocalized.

This is part 1 of 3 of the brilliant intake/power engineering of the engine.

(FIRST) movement- Variable induction sounds

(SECOND) movement-The mechanical processing of the induction with the valve train

(THIRD) movement-The rise of the exhaust note as it reports

All of this is placed at the driver's left ear on left hand drive cars.Tremendous!

:( Unfortunately you are incorrect. According to JFP below, you have completely waisted your time.

RawleyD 03-04-2014 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dlirium (Post 389425)
:( Unfortunately you are incorrect. According to JFP below, you have completely waisted your time.

He didn't waste his time, the previous owner did. :chicken:

And if your car came desnorkled, you wouldn't have any basis of comparison. Maybe lightspeed would have liked the sound better with the snorkel on?

:dance:

Slate 01 03-04-2014 07:39 AM

I sense some bitterness. Crazy. Maybe some people like the sound better with it removed, to each his own. :cool:

JFP in PA 03-04-2014 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dlirium (Post 389425)

Kind of reminds me of when kids put baseball cards in the spokes of their bikes to make noise..............

http://www.hometownflashback.com/sit...s-4_3_r560.jpg

Nine8Six 03-04-2014 10:09 AM

Sound is VERY important... for sport & super cars anyway. Desnokle, add a aftermarket exhaust.... at least (min) drill some huge holes somewhere/anywhere to make it better than what a Porsche Boxster sounds original

(like an electric vehicle?!)

JFP in PA 03-04-2014 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nine8Six (Post 389494)
Sound is VERY important... for sport & super cars anyway. Desnokle, add a aftermarket exhaust.... at least (min) drill some huge holes somewhere/anywhere to make it better than what a Porsche Boxster sounds original

(like an electric vehicle?!)

No, consistently lower lap times, reproducible and statistically significant improvements in horsepower and/or torque in a usable RPM range, or improvements in the engine's ability to survive are very important; sound is pure fluff.........

Mark_T 03-04-2014 12:31 PM

It may be fluff, and I totally agree with what you're saying about it being a useless mod, but it puts a smile on my face. That's gotta be worth something.

And yes, I used to put baseball cards in my spokes, so I guess the die was already cast long ago. :p

dghii 03-04-2014 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 389489)
Kind of reminds me of when kids put baseball cards in the spokes of their bikes to make noise..............

http://www.hometownflashback.com/sit...s-4_3_r560.jpg

Looks like he's trying to give his bike more Agusto.

Slate 01 03-04-2014 01:26 PM

Please remove stick out of your arse. YOu don't like it cause you are hardcore track dude, great, we bow to your prowess, you are the most awesome boxster owner, we aren't worthy to be in your awesome trackdude presence. There you happy? Dang, some people are tight@$$.:chicken:

j.fro 03-04-2014 01:59 PM

I thought that somewhere somebody had posted Dyno results showing 5hp on the top end for de-snorked cars.

Slate 01 03-04-2014 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j.fro (Post 389535)
I thought that somewhere somebody had posted Dyno results showing 5hp on the top end for de-snorked cars.

Don't screw up PF Flyers jag with dyno facts.

black_box 03-11-2014 09:13 PM

I love the sound of low rpm / WOT acceleration with the snorkel pulled. Sounds like serious business.