Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2014, 10:13 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_box View Post
I love the sound of low rpm / WOT acceleration with the snorkel pulled. Sounds like serious business.
According to PF Flyer you are an idiot and no where near as awesome as he is. LMAOROF

Old 03-12-2014, 10:53 AM   #22
DIY extremist

In his defense, I have been know to be an idiot at times. My mother and mechanic can both provide specific references.
black_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:22 AM   #23

"I'm saying that the effort is a waste of time. But it's your time, so waste it however you please................... "

"Kind of reminds me of when kids put baseball cards in the spokes of their bikes to make noise.............."

"No, consistently lower lap times, reproducible and statistically significant improvements in horsepower and/or torque in a usable RPM range, or improvements in the engine's ability to survive are very important; sound is pure fluff........."

-PF Flyer of PA

These are the posts I was referencing. PF was giving his arrogant reply to the idea of people liking the way the Boxster sounded when de-snorkeled. I wasn't calling you an idiot by any means. I'm giving PF Flyer the Wayne's World treatment "We're not worthy!"

Last edited by Slate 01; 03-12-2014 at 11:26 AM.
Slate 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:02 PM   #24

And perhaps someone as new to the forum as yourself shouldn't be quite so rude and disrespectful to one of the most knowledgeable and helpful people on this forum, especially considering that in all of your 157 posts to date you have contributed absolutely nothing of value.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:13 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
And perhaps someone as new to the forum as yourself shouldn't be quite so rude and disrespectful to one of the most knowledgeable and helpful people on this forum, especially considering that in all of your 157 posts to date you have contributed absolutely nothing of value.
Yeah arrogant crap don't fly with me, just the way it is, deal with it. 1 post or 1 million posts doesn't allow for anyone to pull that "nose in the air" stuff. Rudeness will get matched with rudeness in return.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:55 PM   #26
DIY extremist

Hey! Let's stop all this. JFP knows a lot about engines besides how they sound and I'm sure he's not implying that anyone's an idiot. We all have our preferences as far as our cars go.

I wish I had someone with his demonstrated level of knowledge to help with my car habit, especially now that I've taken the plunge on a custom turbo beast.

To the OP:

I've desnorked both of the Boxsters I've owned, a 2000 and a 2008, and both came out with very little effort and produced a beautiful throttle melody. Maybe yours is stuck, or there is some fastener holding it in. If you can get it loose, see how you like it. No one has seen any real change in engine performance either way. You can always put it back in.

Enough said, and I think I speak for everyone on this! Let's drop this guys.

We all love Porsches
black_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:07 PM   #27

Quote:
I'm with slate...he had it coming. Why would someone even bother responding just to instigate and denigrate someone over something as trivial as desnorkeling their car. Maybe he just had a bad day or something.
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:10 PM   #28

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro View Post
I thought that somewhere somebody had posted Dyno results showing 5hp on the top end for de-snorked cars.
Yep.
Finally: Dyno charts of de-snorked 986S!!!

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:56 PM   #29

Hi

Thank you for the info everyone. I've kept my head down as I didn't intend to cause an 'issue', I just didn't see the point of the thing.

May well try again to get it out. The car is going into the shop tomorrow for a 997 shift kit and SpeedTech exhaust installation. Very excited to feel and hear the change. I'm in the enjoy the noise camp, I appreciate that the car won't be faster but I'll get the aural sesations I'm after.

I dropped back from a 996 Turbo because I realised that to get the sensation I wanted from driving the car I'd lose my licence, the Boxster gives me the outcome at legal speeds. I'd just like a bit more drama getting to a 100 kmh.

I'll introduce the car by way of a photo after tomorrows work is completed.

Cheers
Ranfurly66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:23 AM   #30

Mine was incredibly difficult to remove, but it didn't need any tools to do so, just an insane amount of wiggling and force. Sadly the intake is on the other side of the car to the driver in Australia, but it still sounds pretty decent to me!
Squozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:54 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
Perhaps the most interesting, and as well as humorus point is that it was one run, under questionable conditions (a mobile dyno setup), and even many of the posters in this long thread questioned the validity of the data. One poster summed the data perfectly:
"Dyno results can be funny and not always verifiable or repeatable. The Lister must admit this if he's the kind of engineer, he seems to be.

So many variables must be exactly the same on each run for any results to be meaningful, especially since you're claiming a very small % gain of overall power (1.9%). Some, but not all include: Ambient Temp, Barometric pressure, Fuel flow, Octane, Alternator Output, each line of code in the DME operating w/o fault on each run, Engine Temp, Tranny Temp, Bearing Temp, and on and on.

For example, an Alternator (whose power draw is variable and not constant) alone can draw as much as 4-30 crank HP because of the inefficiencies in a Belt & Pulley system, so if it was filling demand on the 1st run, but not the 2nd, this alone could account for the variance seen.

The best method is to do multiple runs exactly duplicating the conditions of all previous runs and then averaging the results. Then, you reverse it, put the snorkel back on and see if you consistently achieve the previous Baseline numbers over an average of multiple runs. If these results aren't duplicated to within a pretty narrow degree, there is some variable not being accounted for.

Just because you get a graph from a single run which supports your theory, isn't in, and of, itself proof of anything..."

Rule number one on dyno data: If it isn't reproducible, it isn't..............

Last edited by JFP in PA; 03-13-2014 at 10:17 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:18 AM   #32

Garage
Quote:
Slate o1 wasn't singling out JFP, posting rude comments is his only "contribution" to the forum. I think he is past due for a warning from a moderator.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:42 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Slate o1 wasn't singling out JFP, posting rude comments is his only "contribution" to the forum. I think he is past due for a warning from a moderator.
Give it a rest, "I think he is past due for a warning from a moderator". Really, are you going to call your mommy next, come on grow up!
Old 03-16-2014, 10:48 AM   #34

Garage
Everyone please keep it civil, thanks.

Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote