Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2014, 11:04 AM   #1

The Snorkle - why?

Hi

I know the 'to' or 'not to' desnorkle the car has been done to death, but I have a question which in reading many posts here and on other sites I haven't really seen an answer for.

What is the engineering or design principle Porsche had when designing and manufacturing the snorkel.

I have read lots of desnorkle discussion on slightly more power (marginal) better induction noise (good), to not to desnorkle because of slight mid range torque/power loss and it came from Porsche like that so why change.

I had a look at my car (MY2004 S) last night and gave the snorkel a wiggle and a good pull - wouldn't budge! They have obviously inserted it so that it can be kept in there for good or you break something (not good as I only want to do things that can be changed back).

I've had a 993 before and its air box was a box with a hole in it in the engine bay so obviously Porsche has previously thought a simple hole was okay at the start of the induction system.

I looking at the snorkle, it occurred to me it looked a lot like an airflow restrictor you have on racing cars to restrict power to a given level which made me wonder if it is:

- just an air restrictor - the external evidence of Porsche restricting the engine system (intake and exhaust) to keep power within a given level
- is it designed to pull in air from closer to the grill
- purely to manage induction noise

There must have been a good reasons for them to have done what they did, they did put it there because they had a good reason....?

Ranfurly66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:27 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranfurly66 View Post
Hi

I know the 'to' or 'not to' desnorkle the car has been done to death, but I have a question which in reading many posts here and on other sites I haven't really seen an answer for.

What is the engineering or design principle Porsche had when designing and manufacturing the snorkel.

I have read lots of desnorkle discussion on slightly more power (marginal) better induction noise (good), to not to desnorkle because of slight mid range torque/power loss and it came from Porsche like that so why change.

I had a look at my car (MY2004 S) last night and gave the snorkel a wiggle and a good pull - wouldn't budge! They have obviously inserted it so that it can be kept in there for good or you break something (not good as I only want to do things that can be changed back).

I've had a 993 before and its air box was a box with a hole in it in the engine bay so obviously Porsche has previously thought a simple hole was okay at the start of the induction system.

I looking at the snorkle, it occurred to me it looked a lot like an airflow restrictor you have on racing cars to restrict power to a given level which made me wonder if it is:

- just an air restrictor - the external evidence of Porsche restricting the engine system (intake and exhaust) to keep power within a given level
- is it designed to pull in air from closer to the grill
- purely to manage induction noise

There must have been a good reasons for them to have done what they did, they did put it there because they had a good reason....?
Anyone that sells cars in Europe is required to meet the EU sound generation limits (based upon the ultra conservative Swiss model), which is why the intake has sound baffle,s and cars with factory PSE have valves that silence the exhaust under certain conditions.

As far as more power, pulling it on a dyno showed exactly no improvement, so there is not real reason to remove it, other than to make noise.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 03-03-2014 at 11:32 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:16 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Anyone that sells cars in Europe is required to meet the EU sound generation limits (based upon the ultra conservative Swiss model), which is why the intake has sound baffle,s and cars with factory PSE have valves that silence the exhaust under certain conditions.

As far as more power, pulling it on a dyno showed exactly no improvement, [U]so there is not real reason to remove it, other than to make noise[/U].
Which, btw, is a fine reason...
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlirium View Post
Which, btw, is a fine reason...
If you say so............................
Old 03-03-2014, 01:41 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
If you say so............................
Is it not generally accepted that this mod is a "personal preference", some like the sound and some don't?

Are you suggesting that there is good reason NOT to remove it?
Old 03-03-2014, 02:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Is it not generally accepted that this mod is a "personal preference", some like the sound and some don't?

Are you suggesting that there is good reason NOT to remove it?
I'm saying that the effort is a waste of time. But it's your time, so waste it however you please...................
Old 03-03-2014, 03:51 PM   #7

I'm very glad that my new to me 2000 S came desnorkeled.The response to throttle positions during the different RPM ranges is vocalized.

This is part 1 of 3 of the brilliant intake/power engineering of the engine.

(FIRST) movement- Variable induction sounds

(SECOND) movement-The mechanical processing of the induction with the valve train

(THIRD) movement-The rise of the exhaust note as it reports

All of this is placed at the driver's left ear on left hand drive cars.Tremendous!
litespeedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:01 PM   #8
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I don't claim to know the snorkels purpose, however in the past it has been mentioned that it was there to help keep water and other debris out of the intake, in addition to helping reduce engine noise.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:54 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by litespeedp View Post
I'm very glad that my new to me 2000 S came desnorkeled.The response to throttle positions during the different RPM ranges is vocalized.

This is part 1 of 3 of the brilliant intake/power engineering of the engine.

(FIRST) movement- Variable induction sounds

(SECOND) movement-The mechanical processing of the induction with the valve train

(THIRD) movement-The rise of the exhaust note as it reports

All of this is placed at the driver's left ear on left hand drive cars.Tremendous!
Unfortunately you are incorrect. According to JFP below, you have completely waisted your time.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Unfortunately you are incorrect. According to JFP below, you have completely waisted your time.
He didn't waste his time, the previous owner did. :chicken:

And if your car came desnorkled, you wouldn't have any basis of comparison. Maybe lightspeed would have liked the sound better with the snorkel on?

:dance:
Old 03-04-2014, 07:39 AM   #11

I sense some bitterness. Crazy. Maybe some people like the sound better with it removed, to each his own.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Kind of reminds me of when kids put baseball cards in the spokes of their bikes to make noise..............

Old 03-04-2014, 10:09 AM   #13

Sound is VERY important... for sport & super cars anyway. Desnokle, add a aftermarket exhaust.... at least (min) drill some huge holes somewhere/anywhere to make it better than what a Porsche Boxster sounds original

(like an electric vehicle?!)
Old 03-04-2014, 11:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Sound is VERY important... for sport & super cars anyway. Desnokle, add a aftermarket exhaust.... at least (min) drill some huge holes somewhere/anywhere to make it better than what a Porsche Boxster sounds original

(like an electric vehicle?!)
No, consistently lower lap times, reproducible and statistically significant improvements in horsepower and/or torque in a usable RPM range, or improvements in the engine's ability to survive are very important; sound is pure fluff.........
Old 03-04-2014, 12:31 PM   #15

It may be fluff, and I totally agree with what you're saying about it being a useless mod, but it puts a smile on my face. That's gotta be worth something.

And yes, I used to put baseball cards in my spokes, so I guess the die was already cast long ago.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Kind of reminds me of when kids put baseball cards in the spokes of their bikes to make noise..............

Looks like he's trying to give his bike more Agusto.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:26 PM   #17

Please remove stick out of your arse. YOu don't like it cause you are hardcore track dude, great, we bow to your prowess, you are the most awesome boxster owner, we aren't worthy to be in your awesome trackdude presence. There you happy? Dang, some people are tight@$$.:chicken:

Last edited by Slate 01; 03-05-2014 at 04:03 AM.
Slate 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:59 PM   #18
Rennzenn

Garage
I thought that somewhere somebody had posted Dyno results showing 5hp on the top end for de-snorked cars.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro View Post
I thought that somewhere somebody had posted Dyno results showing 5hp on the top end for de-snorked cars.
Don't screw up PF Flyers jag with dyno facts.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:13 PM   #20
DIY extremist

I love the sound of low rpm / WOT acceleration with the snorkel pulled. Sounds like serious business.

black_box is offline   Reply With Quote