Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical chat

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Johnny Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,809
Garage
Exhaust Squeal

As of late, I've been dealing with an exhaust squeal on the Dangermobile that's starting to drive me f'in nuts ! Basically, the squealing occurs during start-up/idle, and remains prominent until the vehicle warms up. During warm-up, the squealing is most noticeable during short blips of the throttle and/or with falling RPM's. The squealing never fully goes away even when things are up to temperature. But, it is somewhat mitigated when the vehicle is fully warmed up. Strangely, I can isolate and stop the squealing by simply putting pressure on the exhaust tips or pushing against the right side cat delete pipe. Leading up to this, I've tightened every nut, bolt and clamp, to include the muffler strapping to no avail. Today, I went so far as to try and cold set the position of the muffler by inserting a sturdy wooden dowel into one of the exhaust tips and moving the muffler slightly up ward. And, for a brief period it seemed as though the problem had been solved. However, after a few miles of driving the dreaded squeal was back. Any thoughts ?

p.s. The possibility of a defective cat, resonator, delete pipe or clamp as being the culprit, has pretty much been ruled out at this point. It's like an f'in ghost in the machine ?
__________________
Don't worry I've got the microfilm.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Socal
Posts: 560
Did you check the seal on the lambdas ?
Ian c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Johnny Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,809
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian c View Post
Did you check the seal on the lambdas ?
The pre-cats are fine. I have no secondaries to check.
__________________
Don't worry I've got the microfilm.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:35 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Socal
Posts: 560
The thread on the o2 sensors ....
Ian c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:38 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Johnny Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,809
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian c View Post
The thread on the o2 sensors ....
Yes, I know what you're referring to. The 02 sensors on the pre-cats are fine, and I have no secondary cats, and therefore no 02 to sensors to check on them. Thanks for the thought though.
__________________
Don't worry I've got the microfilm.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:43 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Socal
Posts: 560
It's probably a werewolf in the muffler then ....
Ian c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Johnny Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,809
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian c View Post
It's probably a werewolf in the muffler then ....
I was thinking maybe a Wolverine ?
__________________
Don't worry I've got the microfilm.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:09 PM   #8
Vista glass
 
Vista glass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 87
Garage
JD
Just a swing in the dark. I have read of these symptoms being a loose spark plug squealing on cold startup. Anyone been in that area lately?
Vista glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Johnny Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,809
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vista glass View Post
JD
Just a swing in the dark. I have read of these symptoms being a loose spark plug squealing on cold startup. Anyone been in that area lately?
Since I can isolate and stop the squeal by putting pressure on the exhaust, I don't think it would have anything to do with the spark plugs.
__________________
Don't worry I've got the microfilm.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:37 AM   #10
Registered User
 
Nine8Six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Montreal, QC. (currently expat to Shanghai)
Posts: 3,085
Johnny, if you can stop it by putting pressure on the tailpipe then simply take the car to a welder, add that same pressure you are talking about, and get him to do small welds around the connecting pipes at the same time you are pressing on it. That should be enough to retain the tension.

A temp fix yes but maybe you'll be lucky and it will last eternally!
__________________
______________________________
'97 Boxster base model 2.5L, Guards Red/Tan leather, with a new but old Alpine am/fm radio.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:41 AM   #11
jakesbox
 
trimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
As of late, I've been dealing with an exhaust squeal on the Dangermobile that's starting to drive me f'in nuts ! Basically, the squealing occurs during start-up/idle, and remains prominent until the vehicle warms up. During warm-up, the squealing is most noticeable during short blips of the throttle and/or with falling RPM's. The squealing never fully goes away even when things are up to temperature. But, it is somewhat mitigated when the vehicle is fully warmed up. Strangely, I can isolate and stop the squealing by simply putting pressure on the exhaust tips or pushing against the right side cat delete pipe. Leading up to this, I've tightened every nut, bolt and clamp, to include the muffler strapping to no avail. Today, I went so far as to try and cold set the position of the muffler by inserting a sturdy wooden dowel into one of the exhaust tips and moving the muffler slightly up ward. And, for a brief period it seemed as though the problem had been solved. However, after a few miles of driving the dreaded squeal was back. Any thoughts ?

p.s. The possibility of a defective cat, resonator, delete pipe or clamp as being the culprit, has pretty much been ruled out at this point. It's like an f'in ghost in the machine ?
For what it is worth - I had a squeal on my fabspeed on my last boxster. I found out after obsessing about it for a month that one of the mufflers had settlesd a bit and it was rubbing the heat shield material in the bumper. It was so hard to find in fact that the only way I could do it was to put my self in danger - no pun - and basically had to have the wife rock the car back and forth clutch in and out while revving) as I laid very close to the back end. finally saw the rubbing happening. Took it back to the shop and they cut some material away and it was gone. The shop even thought I was nuts at first until we saw the scratch marks on the muffler. Passenger side was hanging just slightly lower than driver side muffler.
__________________
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:43 AM   #12
Registered User
 
Johnny Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,809
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trimer View Post
For what it is worth - I had a squeal on my fabspeed on my last boxster. I found out after obsessing about it for a month that one of the mufflers had settlesd a bit and it was rubbing the heat shield material in the bumper. It was so hard to find in fact that the only way I could do it was to put my self in danger - no pun - and basically had to have the wife rock the car back and forth clutch in and out while revving) as I laid very close to the back end. finally saw the rubbing happening. Took it back to the shop and they cut some material away and it was gone. The shop even thought I was nuts at first until we saw the scratch marks on the muffler. Passenger side was hanging just slightly lower than driver side muffler.
Thanks for the advice, but I already checked for rubbing against the heat shield - nothing.
__________________
Don't worry I've got the microfilm.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:10 AM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Socal
Posts: 560
I have a cunning plan ....

Get it squealing , then hold a rag over all the joints one at a time listening for a difference .
a welding gauntlet could be used if you have one ..
Ian c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #14
Registered User
 
woodsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Land of naught
Posts: 1,302
sounds like a drone...
__________________
Death is certain, life is not.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:47 AM   #15
Registered User
 
Johnny Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,809
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
sounds like a drone...
Drone ? What would make you think that ?
__________________
Don't worry I've got the microfilm.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:19 AM   #16
Registered User
 
HAUSIDMT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 143
Garage
Cold be the Chinese bugging device, are there any new "diaper service" vans in your neighborhood parked for extended periods?
__________________
2002 Boxster S with a few goodies, my 2nd Porsche.
1st was a 1966 912 hand me down from pops
HAUSIDMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #17
Registered User
 
Nine8Six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Montreal, QC. (currently expat to Shanghai)
Posts: 3,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
Drone ? What would make you think that ?
I think what he meant is he can hear it, the drone sound, you know
__________________
______________________________
'97 Boxster base model 2.5L, Guards Red/Tan leather, with a new but old Alpine am/fm radio.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:32 AM   #18
Registered User
 
Nine8Six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Montreal, QC. (currently expat to Shanghai)
Posts: 3,085
- cut/weld a small 1" V shaped fin under the tailpipe
- Pressure on that tailpipe, to your sweet spot
- tak the fin to the muffler
- you are done (for two months anyway lol)

If you can't find the bug then its happening inside the can. You'll have to slice it open. You'r screwed in other words. A quick and dirty weld might save your arse if lucky
__________________
______________________________
'97 Boxster base model 2.5L, Guards Red/Tan leather, with a new but old Alpine am/fm radio.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:38 PM   #19
Registered User
 
jb92563's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 1,663
Does the squeal sound like a kid letting air out of a balloon while pinching the orfice?

Youve got a loose orfice then. No need to fret just excuse yourself, turn up the music and lay off the prunes for a while.
__________________
"It broke because it wants to be Upgraded "
2012 Porsche Performance Driving School - SanDiego region
2001 Boxster S, Top Speed muffler, (Fred's) Mini Morimotto Projectors, Tarret UDP,
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:22 AM   #20
Registered User
 
Johnny Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,809
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
Does the squeal sound like a kid letting air out of a balloon while pinching the orfice?

Youve got a loose orfice then. No need to fret just excuse yourself, turn up the music and lay off the prunes for a while.
I've become a victim of my own sarcasm and loquacity
__________________
Don't worry I've got the microfilm.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page