986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Exhaust Squeal (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/48186-exhaust-squeal.html)

Johnny Danger 09-03-2013 06:55 PM

Exhaust Squeal

As of late, I've been dealing with an exhaust squeal on the Dangermobile that's starting to drive me f'in nuts ! Basically, the squealing occurs during start-up/idle, and remains prominent until the vehicle warms up. During warm-up, the squealing is most noticeable during short blips of the throttle and/or with falling RPM's. The squealing never fully goes away even when things are up to temperature. But, it is somewhat mitigated when the vehicle is fully warmed up. Strangely, I can isolate and stop the squealing by simply putting pressure on the exhaust tips or pushing against the right side cat delete pipe. Leading up to this, I've tightened every nut, bolt and clamp, to include the muffler strapping to no avail. Today, I went so far as to try and cold set the position of the muffler by inserting a sturdy wooden dowel into one of the exhaust tips and moving the muffler slightly up ward. And, for a brief period it seemed as though the problem had been solved. However, after a few miles of driving the dreaded squeal was back. Any thoughts ?

p.s. The possibility of a defective cat, resonator, delete pipe or clamp as being the culprit, has pretty much been ruled out at this point. It's like an f'in ghost in the machine ?

Ian c 09-03-2013 07:13 PM

Did you check the seal on the lambdas ?

Johnny Danger 09-03-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian c (Post 361226)
Did you check the seal on the lambdas ?

The pre-cats are fine. I have no secondaries to check.

Ian c 09-03-2013 07:35 PM

The thread on the o2 sensors ....

Johnny Danger 09-03-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian c (Post 361229)
The thread on the o2 sensors ....

Yes, I know what you're referring to. The 02 sensors on the pre-cats are fine, and I have no secondary cats, and therefore no 02 to sensors to check on them. Thanks for the thought though.

Ian c 09-03-2013 07:43 PM

It's probably a werewolf in the muffler then ....

Johnny Danger 09-03-2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian c (Post 361231)
It's probably a werewolf in the muffler then ....

I was thinking maybe a Wolverine ?

Vista glass 09-03-2013 08:09 PM

JD
Just a swing in the dark. I have read of these symptoms being a loose spark plug squealing on cold startup. Anyone been in that area lately?

Johnny Danger 09-03-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vista glass (Post 361237)
JD
Just a swing in the dark. I have read of these symptoms being a loose spark plug squealing on cold startup. Anyone been in that area lately?

Since I can isolate and stop the squeal by putting pressure on the exhaust, I don't think it would have anything to do with the spark plugs.

Nine8Six 09-04-2013 01:37 AM

Johnny, if you can stop it by putting pressure on the tailpipe then simply take the car to a welder, add that same pressure you are talking about, and get him to do small welds around the connecting pipes at the same time you are pressing on it. That should be enough to retain the tension.

A temp fix yes but maybe you'll be lucky and it will last eternally!

trimer 09-04-2013 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Danger (Post 361223)
As of late, I've been dealing with an exhaust squeal on the Dangermobile that's starting to drive me f'in nuts ! Basically, the squealing occurs during start-up/idle, and remains prominent until the vehicle warms up. During warm-up, the squealing is most noticeable during short blips of the throttle and/or with falling RPM's. The squealing never fully goes away even when things are up to temperature. But, it is somewhat mitigated when the vehicle is fully warmed up. Strangely, I can isolate and stop the squealing by simply putting pressure on the exhaust tips or pushing against the right side cat delete pipe. Leading up to this, I've tightened every nut, bolt and clamp, to include the muffler strapping to no avail. Today, I went so far as to try and cold set the position of the muffler by inserting a sturdy wooden dowel into one of the exhaust tips and moving the muffler slightly up ward. And, for a brief period it seemed as though the problem had been solved. However, after a few miles of driving the dreaded squeal was back. Any thoughts ?

p.s. The possibility of a defective cat, resonator, delete pipe or clamp as being the culprit, has pretty much been ruled out at this point. It's like an f'in ghost in the machine ?

For what it is worth - I had a squeal on my fabspeed on my last boxster. I found out after obsessing about it for a month that one of the mufflers had settlesd a bit and it was rubbing the heat shield material in the bumper. It was so hard to find in fact that the only way I could do it was to put my self in danger - no pun - and basically had to have the wife rock the car back and forth clutch in and out while revving) as I laid very close to the back end. finally saw the rubbing happening. Took it back to the shop and they cut some material away and it was gone. The shop even thought I was nuts at first until we saw the scratch marks on the muffler. Passenger side was hanging just slightly lower than driver side muffler.

Johnny Danger 09-04-2013 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trimer (Post 361280)
For what it is worth - I had a squeal on my fabspeed on my last boxster. I found out after obsessing about it for a month that one of the mufflers had settlesd a bit and it was rubbing the heat shield material in the bumper. It was so hard to find in fact that the only way I could do it was to put my self in danger - no pun - and basically had to have the wife rock the car back and forth clutch in and out while revving) as I laid very close to the back end. finally saw the rubbing happening. Took it back to the shop and they cut some material away and it was gone. The shop even thought I was nuts at first until we saw the scratch marks on the muffler. Passenger side was hanging just slightly lower than driver side muffler.

Thanks for the advice, but I already checked for rubbing against the heat shield - nothing.

Ian c 09-04-2013 08:10 AM

I have a cunning plan ....

Get it squealing , then hold a rag over all the joints one at a time listening for a difference .
a welding gauntlet could be used if you have one ..

woodsman 09-04-2013 09:44 AM

sounds like a drone...

Johnny Danger 09-04-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodsman (Post 361332)
sounds like a drone...

Drone ? What would make you think that ?

HAUSIDMT 09-04-2013 10:19 AM

Cold be the Chinese bugging device, are there any new "diaper service" vans in your neighborhood parked for extended periods?

Nine8Six 09-04-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Danger (Post 361333)
Drone ? What would make you think that ?

I think what he meant is he can hear it, the drone sound, you know

Nine8Six 09-04-2013 11:32 AM

- cut/weld a small 1" V shaped fin under the tailpipe
- Pressure on that tailpipe, to your sweet spot
- tak the fin to the muffler
- you are done (for two months anyway lol)

If you can't find the bug then its happening inside the can. You'll have to slice it open. You'r screwed in other words. A quick and dirty weld might save your arse if lucky

jb92563 09-04-2013 09:38 PM

Does the squeal sound like a kid letting air out of a balloon while pinching the orfice?

Youve got a loose orfice then. No need to fret just excuse yourself, turn up the music and lay off the prunes for a while. :p

Johnny Danger 09-05-2013 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb92563 (Post 361464)
Does the squeal sound like a kid letting air out of a balloon while pinching the orfice?

Youve got a loose orfice then. No need to fret just excuse yourself, turn up the music and lay off the prunes for a while. :p

I've become a victim of my own sarcasm and loquacity :(