Thread: Exhaust Squeal
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013, 05:41 AM   #11
trimer
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
As of late, I've been dealing with an exhaust squeal on the Dangermobile that's starting to drive me f'in nuts ! Basically, the squealing occurs during start-up/idle, and remains prominent until the vehicle warms up. During warm-up, the squealing is most noticeable during short blips of the throttle and/or with falling RPM's. The squealing never fully goes away even when things are up to temperature. But, it is somewhat mitigated when the vehicle is fully warmed up. Strangely, I can isolate and stop the squealing by simply putting pressure on the exhaust tips or pushing against the right side cat delete pipe. Leading up to this, I've tightened every nut, bolt and clamp, to include the muffler strapping to no avail. Today, I went so far as to try and cold set the position of the muffler by inserting a sturdy wooden dowel into one of the exhaust tips and moving the muffler slightly up ward. And, for a brief period it seemed as though the problem had been solved. However, after a few miles of driving the dreaded squeal was back. Any thoughts ?

p.s. The possibility of a defective cat, resonator, delete pipe or clamp as being the culprit, has pretty much been ruled out at this point. It's like an f'in ghost in the machine ?
For what it is worth - I had a squeal on my fabspeed on my last boxster. I found out after obsessing about it for a month that one of the mufflers had settlesd a bit and it was rubbing the heat shield material in the bumper. It was so hard to find in fact that the only way I could do it was to put my self in danger - no pun - and basically had to have the wife rock the car back and forth clutch in and out while revving) as I laid very close to the back end. finally saw the rubbing happening. Took it back to the shop and they cut some material away and it was gone. The shop even thought I was nuts at first until we saw the scratch marks on the muffler. Passenger side was hanging just slightly lower than driver side muffler.
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote