Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #21

Jaay,

I ran a 340hp 3.4 against the 2.7 5 speed with great success. The gear ratio's for the torque made it feel like a true close ratio racing trans!!

We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:56 AM   #22

Cancelled. HOLY ****************!!!!!!! that was close. I owe you all a beer and dinner and lunch and a stay at my vacations homes.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #23

You have the right idea, but the shear number of parts to do it correctly? Is enormous.

Do like we do and look for a BoxsterS with a popped motor for 5k.

You get:

3rd radiator
GT3 size water lines front to rear
6 speed
Bigger brakes
Bigger wheel bearings
Bigger CV's/Axles
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:03 PM   #24

What do you think could possibly be rattling in my tranny at idle, out of gear foot off the clutch. When rolling in 1st and 2nd foot on the clutch there is a whining whiring noise but not if in fifth and rolling. It shifts perfect, the clutch grabs hard and the gear oil I just pulled out look great minus a tiny bit of metal shaving.

Flywheel shot?
Disc Shot?
Throw out bearing?

It has been ratting for over a year now and the rolling noises are now new.

Again thank you soooooooooooooooo. Much for saving my ass on this one.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:08 PM   #25

Little secret?

Run thicker gear lube.

I have several 5 speeds apart right now. The biggest issue we see is the two T60 torx screw back out and need to be checked for torque.

If they come loose, it effect the 3-4 upshift (the most)

well beside the fact we are ripping the teeth off of 3rd gear and wiping out the 3-4 slider.. LOL
Old 07-25-2013, 12:09 PM   #26

If the flywheel goes 1-1 (the face is supposed to rotate X number of degrees) then yes, you will hear the rattling you are describing.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #27

I will update later. it's 4pm here have to get the jerk chicken on the grill. After diner I am going to go over all the external bolts like axle bolts, bell housing, linkages etc. Maybe something is off. I can't see how but it's worth a shot. I'll try thicker fluid. I just put in 75/90 royal purple but I have no problem pulling it out to try something else. Thanks again. I will check back with my findings.

Jason
Old 07-25-2013, 12:14 PM   #28

FYI:

start the car (warm it up) and stick a long screw driver against the CAT on each side. Listen for a rattle.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:18 PM   #29

Theres only one set of cats, high flo fabspeed cats on the car. I doubt there shot, but I'll take a listen. still doesnt change my noises. Clutch in at idle no noise, foot off the clutch at idle rattle. Clutch in or out rolling 1st and second there is noise.

I'll take an ear to it after diner. Thanks again for all the advice and you really just saved me thousands.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #30

It will be the flywheel.. and *if* it is the flywheel.. you need to get it out of the car quickly before it ruins the rear main bearing, then takes out the no. 6 rod bearing
Old 07-25-2013, 12:23 PM   #31

Fly wheel is an easy fix. I may drop the tranny for fun. Takes about an hour and than I'll have more answers. It's nice an cool out tonight here so I may just do that.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:24 PM   #32

I know there is a plenty to talk about the aasco fly wheels but any thoughts as I trust your opinion.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #33

I personally stand in front of Randy Aase and discuss the amount of bull_**************** surrounding them.

I have ran them since 2004. I have had engines fail shortly after installing them.

You know why the engine failed? Because the previous dual mass flywheel was bad causing a vibration. When it failed, we went back in with a light one. The engine failed a few 100miles later.

Now, you tell me. Did the alum flywheel cause the issue? No.

If the people who are spewing the sh-it about the light flywheels would open up to speaking with factory trained Porsche techs (Gold Meister badasses) they would learn what the techs see at the dealerships about failed engines with bad flywheels.

I personally experienced an engine failure with a bad dual mass. It was BAD out of the box (I made a HUGE mistake) by not checking it prior to install. Called on 6 different Gold Meister techs to ask them "Do you see bad dual mass flywheels out of the box/new"?? The answer: 2-3 a week and SIX different dealerships. They are lucky, they know to check. I was in a hurry and slammed one together without checking it.

I ate that engine build.. that sh_it sadnwhich did not taste good..
Old 07-25-2013, 07:05 PM   #34

Brad, your awesome. I have a 5 speed on the way 600.00 bux! 15k on the odometer from a known porsche buddy. Once I get my other tranny out I will see if a new flywheel is in order or not. Needless to say it didn't come out tonight. My wife challenged my old school skills in doctor mario so my time was taken. Maybe tomorrow morning I'll yank it. rotate my flywheel and wiggle my ims bearing. Thanks again.

Jason
Old 07-25-2013, 08:05 PM   #35

That is a smoking deal!!

I buy them out here for $600-800 depending on mileage.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #36
Boxster Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts View Post
The biggest issue we see is the two T60 torx screw back out and need to be checked for torque.

If they come loose, it effect the 3-4 upshift (the most)

well beside the fact we are ripping the teeth off of 3rd gear and wiping out the 3-4 slider.. LOL
story of my 5 speed using life. I owned 4 of them in various forms of repair during my seasons in Boxster Spec. Getting a 6 speed was one of the best upgrades made to that car, but it was ridiculously expensive.
A complete S car with a blown motor would have been cheaper, both times I've done it...
4.0L Dry Sump Boxster GT race car - HRG #23
2005 Cayenne S - DD
Eric523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:32 PM   #37

Painful part of Eric's post?

"Both times"
Old 07-26-2013, 12:26 PM   #38
2004 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts View Post

I personally experienced an engine failure with a bad dual mass. It was BAD out of the box (I made a HUGE mistake) by not checking it prior to install. Called on 6 different Gold Meister techs to ask them "Do you see bad dual mass flywheels out of the box/new"?? The answer: 2-3 a week and SIX different dealerships. They are lucky, they know to check. I was in a hurry and slammed one together without checking it.
Brad, forgive the noob question, but what is the routine for checking these DMFs? I'm about to do IMS and clutch among other things and want to make sure the techs check both the old one, and the new one if replacement is deemed necessary. I have some driveline clunks especially noticeable on 1-2 low speed shifts. Thinking front motor mount or DMF, or...
evan9eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:31 PM   #39

Before you let the delivery guy walk away.. open the box and put your hand on the face of the new flywheel, twist it. Make sure the bottom half of the flywheel stay's stationary. They arrive crank side down in the box, clutch disc face up. New ones move about 10minutes (think 12o'clock to 2o'clock position)

Bad ones don't move
Old 07-26-2013, 03:39 PM   #40

Jaay, what kind of groaning sound? My '06 5-spd. just started "groaning" ( no rattle ). I only hear it in first gear, while turning, with even light throttle application. At first I thought is was power steering noise, but it sounds more like gear whine.

stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote