Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 10:42 AM   #1

6 Speed Conversion.

I am going to be swapping in a 6 speed. The 3.4 in my car should work well with it. I am going to be pulling my tranny tonight to just get the ball rolling. The new tranny will be here next week and I am sure I am going to have a long list of parts for my dealer. Pics to come. Let me know if you want any specific pics while I'm in there.

P.S. I'm hoping there is no play in my dual row IMS bearing. I want to leave the stocker in. Knock on wood.

Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #2

Most guys love the 3.4 with a 5 speed. What's driving your decision to go with a 6 speed?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:22 AM   #3

um.. have you actually spoken to someone who has physically done this?

The parts list is very deep to pull this off *without* custom built axles.

I'm going to test you here:

List off the parts needed for the clutch

We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts View Post
um.. have you actually spoken to someone who has physically done this?

The parts list is very deep to pull this off *without* custom built axles.

I'm going to test you here:

List off the parts needed for the clutch

Second this.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #5

I have done several.

The 987 cars are MUCH easier. The 986? not so much.
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #6

I asked the clutch question because I made a huge MISTAKE that cost us a top 10 finish at Daytona. I will never forget *exactly* what clutch parts need to be changed out!!
Old 07-25-2013, 11:42 AM   #7

Don't scare me here. My one question is, why do I need custom built axles?

Parts list.

All S parts.

throw out bearing and tube
Clutch kit
flywheel
I have the updated lever already
slave cylinder
new flywheel bolts
don't care about exhaust hanger stuff - easy enough to fabricate

I was going 6 speed because this is the second 5 speed that I've had that now rattles and moans while rolling in first and second gear. Am I missing something here? Brad you probably have the most knowledge - why do I keep having all these 5 speed tranny issues. Right now i'm on a cayman 5 speed. I dont miss shifts or grind gears and am running royal purple. It works perfect but is just noisy as hell. I may pull it tonight just to re install it if I find something that is rattling or loose.

Any info that i may not be aware of please help me out. I can cancel my tranny order if you give me good reason.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:42 AM   #8

and the part I *needed* to change? required a custom piece to work in the 986 non-s
Old 07-25-2013, 11:43 AM   #9

Does it have the light flywheel in it now?
Old 07-25-2013, 11:44 AM   #10

Solid center stock disc? or spring centered sport disc?
Old 07-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #11

Nope stocker for a 5 speed cayman

What was the one piece?
Old 07-25-2013, 11:46 AM   #12

Solid is in there now with 2 piece flywheel
Old 07-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #13

The BoxsterS axles are completely different from the nonS axles (length/width)

Plus.. the S axles do not pass through the nonS upright correctly.

The S runs a wider wheel bearing than the nonS so the stub axles (that don't come off) are longer for the wider wheel bearing in the S upright.

That is just the *tip* of the iceberg
Old 07-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #14

shift cables and clips are different, transmission mounting brackets are different, and the 6 speed is longer than the 5-speed so your current axles won't work. you can get the longer 6-speed axles, but then I think you need s or 996 wheel carriers as well. or custom axles. good opportunity to upgrade to 996 brakes. I could be wrong of course.

Last edited by The Radium King; 07-25-2013 at 11:48 AM. Reason: beaten by the faster typing of mr roberts.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #15

It shouldn't rattle with a stock dual mass flywheel and stock disc.

I **promise** the 6 speed WILL rattle (when warm) with the light flywheel and stock solid center disc (the spring centered disc helps) *some* but not enough to justify it's double the stock price.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:49 AM   #16

So, 5 speed axles won't mount up your saying? I understand all the S axle issues. If the 5 speed axles don't mount up, I have to make a $2k phone call right now
Old 07-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #17

Shift cables are MUCH shorter!!

Clutch: The slave cylinder is incorrect.

Change it to the S slave? No problem except Porsche changed the hard line fitting.

Replace the hard line front to rear? or have a new hydraulic line made to go from solid chassis line to soft line to slave.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:52 AM   #18

The 5 speed axles wont work at all.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:53 AM   #19

OK, OK OK OK OK OK.... FML I have to call the place now and cancel. Time to look for a new 5 speed tranny then. I'm guessing. The only plus is there cheap as poop.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:54 AM   #20

Jaay?

The real solution here? CaymanS 6 speed. It's identical in shape/size to the 5 speed.

and.. want to be really sneaky? Find the 987 BoxsterS 6 speed. It has lower ratio's than the CaymanS 6 speed.