Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2013, 01:46 AM   #41
2004 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts View Post
Before you let the delivery guy walk away.. open the box and put your hand on the face of the new flywheel, twist it. Make sure the bottom half of the flywheel stay's stationary. They arrive crank side down in the box, clutch disc face up. New ones move about 10minutes (think 12o'clock to 2o'clock position)

Bad ones don't move

I gather the check will be the same for the old one while its still bolted up, no 10 minutes of movement = DMF is done? Anything else? Obviously my tech should know but I'm a control freak, so I'll want to make sure. First time with this car to a shop, first time to this shop.

evan9eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:20 AM   #42

Don't assume the tech knows!!

The old ones I see typically move 20-30minutes (from 12-2/3 if not more) or no movement.
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:59 PM   #43
2004 Boxster S

Quote:
Don't assume the tech knows!!

The old ones I see typically move 20-30minutes (from 12-2/3 if not more) or no movement.
More noob questions. I have a vauge idea how a DMF is put together and functions, but am curious what it is that fails on these and the various behaviors exhibited-- both while driving and with the part in hand.

As you say, don't trust the tech. Though its a challenge to be there to look over his shoulder since the shop is 45 min away from my vacation house... in Spain... and did I mention I don't speak Spanish. Good thing the manager speaks good English and he's been great so far.

Last edited by evan9eleven; 07-27-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:50 PM   #44

I haven't taken the time to pull one apart to see what fails

The shop owner will typically be the one "accepting" the delivery. Be clear with him, you want him to check the face of the flywheel prior to install. Just ask him to twist it.

I have a group of business owners looking at purchasing property in Greece and Spain!

Get out of this place..
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:07 PM   #45
2004 Boxster S

Quote:
I haven't taken the time to pull one apart to see what fails

The shop owner will typically be the one "accepting" the delivery. Be clear with him, you want him to check the face of the flywheel prior to install. Just ask him to twist it.

I have a group of business owners looking at purchasing property in Greece and Spain!

Get out of this place..
I know what you mean. I gave up Cali for Norway belive it or not and keep my sanity by escaping to Spain where cars are half price compared to up here. So I justified an old box... needed a roadster where the sun shines. I like the indi shop as they are super customer-oriented so bit by bit I'll go through the list of parts. Thanks for the input!
Old 07-27-2013, 02:14 PM   #46

Very cool! Congrats!! Lots of people talking about leaving or complain how bad it is here.. but very few actually leave!

Costa Rica is the place I'm looking at. They have a free trade zone that Dell and many other large US based companies are using to do business. Plus they have a FIA approved track
Old 07-30-2013, 11:54 PM   #47

Hi Brad, what 5-speed variant has the most optimal ratios for a base 986 running a 997S 3.8L engine in your opinion? I'm installing the Guard LSD, so I have an opportunity to swap the trans as well (currently running stock 2001 base 5-speed trans).
Old 07-31-2013, 06:15 AM   #48

Hey tight!!

None of the 5 speeds will last. Sorry You need to go to at least the 987 BoxsterS tranny (it has shorter ratio's than the CaymanS 6speed)

We blow up 5 speeds in the 194rwhp Boxsters..

I ran upwards of 340hp through *your* 5 speed for awhile. We broke it.

Texas? and NorCal?
Old 07-31-2013, 11:54 AM   #49

but am curious what it is that fails on these and the various behaviors exhibited-- both while driving and with the part in hand.

... I felt a little bump, occasionally, after shifting, as if I had mismatched the revs badly.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:56 AM   #50

hi, thought that i'd resurrect this old gem. wondering what I'm getting into with a 987 6-speed tranny swap into a 99 with a 5-speed BUT the car has 996 wheel carriers already. what axles - 987? same transmission mounts? new cables? clutch MC? any help appreciated.

The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote