Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #1

Garage
Boxster S brakes?

Because I burnt down a set of brake on my last track day I wanted to install front Boxster S brakes on the car. Installations was easy not any worse than replacing brakes, but here is the question. The car came with Boxster S II 17 " wheels. Which are my daily driving wheels there is 5/16" clearance on the spokes should I add spacesr or let them alone.

* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:23 PM   #2

I have stock brakes on my 2.7 and they work fine on the track with the cheapest Mintex pads. Very good braking, no fade with a good brake fluid flush before the event and GT3 air scoops to cool the brakes. I go through about 1/3 Of the pad in an event. If you are burning up pads, go to a race pad.

S brakes are not going to make any difference.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:15 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
I have stock brakes on my 2.7 and they work fine on the track with the cheapest Mintex pads. Very good braking, no fade with a good brake fluid flush before the event and GT3 air scoops to cool the brakes. I go through about 1/3 Of the pad in an event. If you are burning up pads, go to a race pad.

S brakes are not going to make any difference.
I’m not sure how to answer your comment. Where we run, and our run group vary pretty widely, and my car is highly modified. I Have GT3 brake ducts. I run either EBC Yellow Stuff or Pagid Black pads. Homestead has 40' elevation change. Watkins Glen has 4 down hill high speed brake zone the worst would be 140' downhill to a hairpin. VIR has 230' of elevation change downhill from Maple tree to the front straight. Summit Point has 400' of elevation change. This is a highly suggested conversion in the north east in white black and red run groups.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust

Last edited by jsceash; 01-20-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:18 PM   #4
Track rat

Garage
S brakes will work fine with stock 17" rims as long as the wheels are straight. Get some track-capable pads in there so you don't burn down the "S" brakes next.

Hawk Blue-good
Pagid Orange- better
Raybestos ST-43- best
Old 01-20-2013, 07:27 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
S brakes will work fine with stock 17" rims as long as the wheels are straight. Get some track-capable pads in there so you don't burn down the "S" brakes next.

Hawk Blue-good
Pagid Orange- better
Raybestos ST-43- best
When the outside temp is 80 or lower I use EBC Yellow Stuff ceramic mostly because of cost. When the temp is higher than 80 I use Pagid black RS14 Ceramic. I use Zimmerman rotors. I find in the White solo group with late passing I'm harder on my brakes. A group of about 15 of CPA-PCA run Watkins Glenn about 4 times or more a year. We all carry at least one extra set of pad every weekend we're there. First time at Summit Point We had a multi Group solo track day. I had new pads put on Thursday EBC Yellow Tech and flushed with Blue High temp fluid. Sunday there were 2-1 hour sessions The lap before the Checker would have came out on the first session pedal to the floor and in the gravel turn 1. Pulled the pads had an 1/8" to 3/16" lining left. Just the fronts. I'm thinking a bad set of pad but :ah:
Old 01-20-2013, 08:09 PM   #6
Track rat

Garage
Wow! Maybe a sticking caliper. My brother had problems with crud in the front calipers that were not fully releasing and after several flushes they seem to improve. I typically get 20 track days (2000 track miles) on the ST-43s in front, 40 or more days on the rear. I have used RS-14s and RS-29s but get a lot more life out of the 43s with better modulation.

We do have a couple of hills out here as well.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:55 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
Wow! Maybe a sticking caliper. My brother had problems with crud in the front calipers that were not fully releasing and after several flushes they seem to improve. I typically get 20 track days (2000 track miles) on the ST-43s in front, 40 or more days on the rear. I have used RS-14s and RS-29s but get a lot more life out of the 43s with better modulation.

Awesome picture I'm guessing the downhill complex Luguna Seca. My guess would be that puts a knot in your stomach the first time hit the lefthand at the top and turn blind into that downhill at speed. Thank you for your comments. and advise.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:57 AM   #8

[QUOTE=Topless;324511]Wow! Maybe a sticking caliper. My brother had problems with crud in the front calipers that were not fully releasing and after several flushes they seem to improve. I typically get 20 track days (2000 track miles) on the ST-43s in front, 40 or more days on the rear. I have used RS-14s and RS-29s but get a lot more life out of the 43s with better modulation.

+1, you really shouldn't be burning the pads as quickly as you say.
06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:53 AM   #9
Certified Boxster Addict

I have been using EBC Yellows for my past three brake changes and get about 12-14 track days out of a set. I would say that I am average on the brakes (not particularly hard on them nor particularly easy on them) so you should be seeing somewhat similar wear/life.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #10

Garage
Here is a picture of the pads I put on that same day, at Summit Point for the second run session. I looked at the schedule again. These are EBC Yellow Stuff pads run for 1 hour and 20 minutes between 137 and 40 MPH based on my Track mate recorder. I drove home I think that 96 miles. Total miles 241

Old 01-22-2013, 03:04 AM   #11

Out of curiosity, not having done any track days, how hard do you push the car? 9/10th's, 10/10th's? Are you threshold braking all the time, or not quite pushing that hard?
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:07 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wilson View Post
Out of curiosity, not having done any track days, how hard do you push the car? 9/10th's, 10/10th's? Are you threshold braking all the time, or not quite pushing that hard?
I will push braking about 95% or just below where ABS would cut in. My data recorder show 1.1 to 1.2 G's on the brakes under my maximum braking.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:01 PM   #13
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wilson View Post
First session @ 8/10-9/10's to warm up the car and my brain.

Second session @9/10-10/10's (late in the 2nd session is usually my best time of the day, could just as well go home afterward (based on time alone) but its too much fun!)

Thrid session @ 10/10's (the other session to set a best time of the day)

Fouth session @ 9/10-10/10's (usually working on improving a certain corner and not going for best overall times so I'm hard in some places and slightly easier in others)

Fifth session @ home on the couch. I'm exhausted!

My goal is to brake just under the point where the ABS kicks in.
1979 911 SC

Last edited by thstone; 01-22-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
..... These are EBC Yellow Stuff pads run for 1 hour and 20 minutes between 137 and 40 MPH based on my Track mate recorder. I drove home I think that 96 miles. Total miles 241 .....
As to the original question, 5/16th's clearance is fine.

Regarding the pads pictured, did you bed them before tracking?
Unless they're crumbling, I don't see any big issue.

Maybe my laptop screen lacks resolution?
DFW02S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:14 PM   #15
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
Here is a picture of the pads I put on that same day, at Summit Point for the second run session. I looked at the schedule again. These are EBC Yellow Stuff pads run for 1 hour and 20 minutes between 137 and 40 MPH based on my Track mate recorder. I drove home I think that 96 miles. Total miles 241

I'm not sure what is wrong with the pads in the photo? From what I can see, they seem to have a lot of pad left because they are no where near worn to the holes where the brake sensor plugs in.

Yes, they look a bit "cooked" but that is normal and my pads look exactly the same with the yellow almost completely burned off and they honestly look like they've been baking in a oven! (which I suppose is about what is happening).

Am I missing something like the pad material itself is disintegrating or deteriorating or crumbling? Could it be that they may have been simply overheated and lost friction until they cooled down?
1979 911 SC
Old 01-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #16

Garage
I guess I wanted an opinion about how these compared to what some of the other DE regulars see after a single day. This is not the set that went bad. That set was cut down into the holes and all cracked. They looked like alligator skin. I don't get more than 3 weekend out of a set. By that point they are with in a 1/16" of the holes.