Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2018, 06:31 PM   #61

Thank you.

Even though I'm in NW FL, the weather has been unseasonably cold the last few days, with lows in the 20's and high in the ~40 degree range, I know lots of folks have it much worse.

I've lived with crappy heat in the car for many years. I just put up with it as the car is not a daily driver anymore (retirement) and we just don't have many extended cold snaps. Usually, we'd get a cold snap, i'd think about this repair and then procrastinate and put it off for no good reason.

With holiday company gone, I decided this afternoon to find this thread and seal up the holes in the deflection panels. I've replaced my radio and had my dash and console parts apart in the past so I wasn't too worried about completing the repair.

Needless to say, I was blown away with the 'after' heat performance...simply night and day difference. I followed 87F350's direction and was able to duct tape all the holes. I was even able to reach the two inner panels without too much difficulty. I can't claim all my tape pieces are perfect and without wrinkles but all the holes are covered and the ductwork is taped back up and looks no worse for wear (thank you black duct tape).

Should have done this years ago! BTW, there was no sign of foam on any of the panels anymore...
Thanks again for the great write up!

dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:39 PM   #62
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
Thank you.

Even though I'm in NW FL, the weather has been unseasonably cold the last few days, with lows in the 20's and high in the ~40 degree range, I know lots of folks have it much worse.

I've lived with crappy heat in the car for many years. I just put up with it as the car is not a daily driver anymore (retirement) and we just don't have many extended cold snaps. Usually, we'd get a cold snap, i'd think about this repair and then procrastinate and put it off for no good reason.

With holiday company gone, I decided this afternoon to find this thread and seal up the holes in the deflection panels. I've replaced my radio and had my dash and console parts apart in the past so I wasn't too worried about completing the repair.

Needless to say, I was blown away with the 'after' heat performance...simply night and day difference. I followed 87F350's direction and was able to duct tape all the holes. I was even able to reach the two inner panels without too much difficulty. I can't claim all my tape pieces are perfect and without wrinkles but all the holes are covered and the ductwork is taped back up and looks no worse for wear (thank you black duct tape).

Should have done this years ago! BTW, there was no sign of foam on any of the panels anymore...
Thanks again for the great write up!
Here in Houston where it has been 31 F and 26 F in the morning respectively. GIVE ME HEAT! Oy Vey! After doing the full up fanatical Meir repair for the AC, I ALSO HAVE HEAT! I agree, so nice to have actual heat when it's freezing!
Old 01-06-2018, 09:19 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
Here in Houston where it has been 31 F and 26 F in the morning respectively. GIVE ME HEAT! Oy Vey! After doing the full up fanatical Meir repair for the AC, I ALSO HAVE HEAT! I agree, so nice to have actual heat when it's freezing!
So glad that I taped up my blend doors with more holes than Swiss cheese. It has been brutally cold here, down to -5F, but the heater keeps cabin warm and comfy!!! Great winter driver actually, with a set of snow tires and a hardtop!
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:43 PM   #64

Mine blows the same flakes and not so hot air when using heater. The current random cold weather has me wishing it did blow way hotter.

I'll look into fixing it soon.
aviorperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 10:25 PM   #65

When the blower box is in Swiss cheese mode the heat doesn’t really work. But, when the blower box is correct the freakin’ heat in these things is a blast furnace. Very nice for those super chilly days. I’m getting foam, but haven’t lost enough yet to do the fix.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:14 PM   #66
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Question for the collective.....

....Does this foam deterioration affect ALL 986 model years, or did they make a running change in say....2003, for example, to fix the issue?
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:54 PM   #67
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
....Does this foam deterioration affect ALL 986 model years, or did they make a running change in say....2003, for example, to fix the issue?
...all 986 and beyond: Cayman foam being blown out of the vents
Old 05-21-2018, 08:47 PM   #68

Mine started doing this last year, I thought it was just a filter causing it. So something new to add to the fix list.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:50 PM   #69
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Foam drain trays and foam covered heater flaps, what was Porsche thinking? Why not at least plastic? Can't be that much difference in weight.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:55 PM   #70

Probably sound attenuation?
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:49 PM   #71

Was chatting with a friend who has an old ferrari and does quite a bit of wrenching. He suggested spraying some clear paint into the vent hole before it gets to bad to strengthen the foam bond as a temp fix. Not sure it would work, the idea sounds plausible.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:00 PM   #72
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
Was chatting with a friend who has an old ferrari and does quite a bit of wrenching. He suggested spraying some clear paint into the vent hole before it gets to bad to strengthen the foam bond as a temp fix. Not sure it would work, the idea sounds plausible.
That sounds awful. Smelly and could cause moving parts to bind or lock up. Just fix it right.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 12:53 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
That sounds awful. Smelly and could cause moving parts to bind or lock up. Just fix it right.
Yeah was pretty much my thought on that idea as well. That's why he is driving an Italian car and not a German car! Haha
Old 05-29-2018, 08:54 AM   #74
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Yeah was pretty much my thought on that idea as well. That's why he is driving an Italian car and not a German car! Haha
That guy sounds like a nutbar!
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:25 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
That guy sounds like a nutbar!
He is actually a pretty good mechanic, just some of his ideas kinda seem strange. He is our entomlogist. He Used to be a guzzi mechanic, likes to tinker on voltswagen buses, has an old gts ferrari i think it is its the one from that old tv show. I drove it, definately too small for me. Anyway he likes everything stock as possible. Good guy but you really have to talk to him will make you laugh.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:30 AM   #76

Need Better Taping Ideas Please
I did this repair last Fall and must have a stuck blend door now. Before I dig back into the dash, I am looking for a better option for taping up the holes in the doors. Like most of you, I used multiple pieces of strong duck tape. Hard to get the tape lined up and stuck to the doors.

I think a better solution would be cut ONE piece of tape the width of the door, something with a removable sticky back. That way you can place the tape inside, stick an edge and peel off the removable backing. Ideas?
ExplorerLyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:17 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExplorerLyon View Post
I did this repair last Fall and must have a stuck blend door now. Before I dig back into the dash, I am looking for a better option for taping up the holes in the doors. Like most of you, I used multiple pieces of strong duck tape. Hard to get the tape lined up and stuck to the doors.

I think a better solution would be cut ONE piece of tape the width of the door, something with a removable sticky back. That way you can place the tape inside, stick an edge and peel off the removable backing. Ideas?
What about some dynamat? Sticky on one side, and kid of rubberyish. Could trim to exact fit.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:31 AM   #78

Quote:
What about some dynamat? Sticky on one side, and kid of rubberyish. Could trim to exact fit.
Good idea. Would it be too think or heavy for the doors to operate property?
ExplorerLyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 12:39 PM   #79

Quote:
Good idea. Would it be too think or heavy for the doors to operate property?
Do know wouldnt think so small square.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:06 PM   #80

Quote:

I used aluminum tape with waterproof adhesive, sold at Home Depot. Very sticky and easy to work with, used several horizontal strips to cover top to bottom of the doors. I think one big piece would be very difficult to place it, unless the whole HVAC assay is torn apart.

1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foam , vent