Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 07:08 AM   #1
Newb

Convertable Top Light on Switch Stays On

Ok I did do a search this time before posting this.... I only found three threads but not enough info. As I read it, there are three switches that trigger this light. One at the latch and one each at the motors. So where do I access the switches at the motors? I recently did a major detailing and that is when this light staying on stuff started happening. Is it possible that I got my fingers in some where that disconnected or disturbed something? I did have the roof half open so that I could get into all the nooks and crannies. The top goes up and down perfectly and the windows perform their functions during this process perfectly as well.

2008 Land Rover LR3 Alaska White/Alpaca
2012 Honda Odyssey Touring Dk Grey/Lt Grey
V-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:29 AM   #2
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Rod View Post
Ok I did do a search this time before posting this.... I only found three threads but not enough info. As I read it, there are three switches that trigger this light. One at the latch and one each at the motors. So where do I access the switches at the motors? I recently did a major detailing and that is when this light staying on stuff started happening. Is it possible that I got my fingers in some where that disconnected or disturbed something? I did have the roof half open so that I could get into all the nooks and crannies. The top goes up and down perfectly and the windows perform their functions during this process perfectly as well.
this is very strange.
first, there are only 2 switches in the 97-99 boxster, and only one motor.
switch number one is located at the latch, and the second is located on top of the motor.
the third switch is the e brake switch, but it will not cause the top light to go on.
what is strange to me , is the fact that in most cases if one of those switches is defected, the top will not work properly.
the light indicates that the top is not fully closed.
so that could indicate two things.
1. top is not adjusted.
2. the latch switch is defected in only one circuit.
most chances its number 2. this switch is known to fail.
it is very difficult to check that switch. it has 3 wires going in it, and it activate two circuits.
to exclude adjustment issue, put the top in service mod and press both switches at the same time when the ignition is on (you will need someone to help you obviously). if the light stays on, most likely is the switch.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:18 PM   #3

I have an '01. The only time that the light comes on is when the top is not fully up or fully down. The latch or the hand brake switches do not trigger the top light.
Do not know if the switch on the motor is a multiple pole switch, but when you raise or lower the top, does the motor automatically stop when the top gets to fully up or fully down position?
If the motor stops on it's own, maybe the "brain" is confused,
. Might just disconnect the battery and reconnect.
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:05 PM   #4
Newb

I have been away for the last 10 days on business and today went to fiddle with this conv top light problem. I was greeted with a seemingly almost dead battery. (See new thread) The rear trunk would not open and the doors would not unlock. So, I headed off to purchase a new battery instead. Tomorrow I will tackle replacing it.

I have been trying to recall when the light problem started and I think I failed to mention something that happened that same day that the problem started. While driving with the top up, I was feeling along the window seals to make sure that they were tight and draft free. When my fingers touched the hinged area of the top at the top of the drivers door window, both windows lowered themselves as if I were going to lower the top. I could not raise the windows simply with the switches. So I proceeded to go through the full cycle of lowering the top and then putting it fully back up. The windows operated fine after that. I think it maybe after that cycle that the light staying on was a problem. I have tried lowering the top fully again but that did not help. Anyway, just a bit more information for all of you that know a whole lot more than I.

Thanks for all your help!
Old 12-24-2012, 05:48 AM   #5
Newb

Mike Focke was right on! Sure enough when I did it today I held the button until the light went off then I latched it. No lights on the dash.