Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 12:05 PM   #1

1997 boxster 2.5 wheel question

Hi all, please excuse me if this is a dumb question, but.... On my Boxster the front tyres are 205/55/16 and the rears are 225/50/16. I have a spacesaver spare at the moment.
My question is... If I want to replace the spacesaver spare with a full size alloy and regular tyre.

a. will a full size wheel / tyre combo fit in the spare wheelwell?
b. Are the front and rear wheels exactly the same?
c. presuming the answer to (a.) is Yes what tyre size should I choose?

Thanks in advance for your interest and help, Peter.

peterzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:29 PM   #2

The front and rears wheels and tires are different (see the owner's manual section on tech data) for a reason...handling. And the spare is a spacesaver for a reason...you wouldn't want to be running any distance or at speed with a potentially mismatched tire. So they save weight and trunk space by using a spacesaver to allow/require you to limp to a tire place to order the correct size. Even getting the one you pulled off home is going to be a challenge...most just put it in the passenger seat. I used to carry an old shower curtain just to prevent the dirt on the tire from staining the interior.

Recall that the recent Porsches don't have a spare at all.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
Track rat

Garage
To your question:
The 16" wheels are 6" & 7" and yes a full size wheel and tire will fit in the front trunk if you lean it back.

Recommendation from an experienced owner:
Save the full sized spare idea for your Range Rover. It will consume the entire front trunk and put unnecessary weight on the nose of a fine German sports car. In 7 years of ownership and 40k miles I have never needed a spare at all. Mine is now removed and replaced with a small lightweight roadside tire flat-fix and 12v compressor.

Old 12-22-2012, 03:54 AM   #4

Thanks for the quick replies. A couple of cans of Tyreweld are going to be the best option I think!

peterzoom is offline   Reply With Quote