View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 08:29 AM   #2
Meir
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Rod View Post
Ok I did do a search this time before posting this.... I only found three threads but not enough info. As I read it, there are three switches that trigger this light. One at the latch and one each at the motors. So where do I access the switches at the motors? I recently did a major detailing and that is when this light staying on stuff started happening. Is it possible that I got my fingers in some where that disconnected or disturbed something? I did have the roof half open so that I could get into all the nooks and crannies. The top goes up and down perfectly and the windows perform their functions during this process perfectly as well.
this is very strange.
first, there are only 2 switches in the 97-99 boxster, and only one motor.
switch number one is located at the latch, and the second is located on top of the motor.
the third switch is the e brake switch, but it will not cause the top light to go on.
what is strange to me , is the fact that in most cases if one of those switches is defected, the top will not work properly.
the light indicates that the top is not fully closed.
so that could indicate two things.
1. top is not adjusted.
2. the latch switch is defected in only one circuit.
most chances its number 2. this switch is known to fail.
it is very difficult to check that switch. it has 3 wires going in it, and it activate two circuits.
to exclude adjustment issue, put the top in service mod and press both switches at the same time when the ignition is on (you will need someone to help you obviously). if the light stays on, most likely is the switch.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote