Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 08:48 PM   #81

Just ordered a set and they are back in stock. I have a NHP exhaust so looking forward to see any additional gains and sound.:dance::dance:

jrcui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #82

Excuse my ignorance, but catless cars are legals or not ?
Old 08-02-2013, 07:36 PM   #83

Di?n dÃ****n nÃ****y hay quá, Mình lÃ**** thÃ****nh viên m?i, m?i ngu?i giúp d? nhi?u nha
Old 08-03-2013, 11:50 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by The French Dude View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but catless cars are legals or not ?
Most of these cars have 4 cats and the computer only monitors 2 of them. I don't know if you can legally remove 2 but the odds of someone noticing are next to slim.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #85

Thanks Woodsman !
I'll consider the mods so...
Old 08-03-2013, 04:51 PM   #86
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
In the UK we only have the 2 main cats, none in the manifold unless you have a 987.
Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #87

And this is what I thought about doing ...
Race headers and bypasses with a race-cat and threadolets welded in , and the euro wiring harness to connect the sensors .

Maybe a project for a future car ...
Ian c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:30 AM   #88

Garage
Thanks edc. I was going to crawl under the car today and check - saved me a job. Looks like I will only be buying the cat back box afterall. Think I might do the Crios mod on the tail pipes in the meantime - seems to provide some good results from what I have read
Old 08-04-2013, 03:44 PM   #89

Any before/after videos or sound clips so we can see what they're like?
Old 08-05-2013, 12:52 AM   #90
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmunk View Post
Thanks edc. I was going to crawl under the car today and check - saved me a job. Looks like I will only be buying the cat back box afterall. Think I might do the Crios mod on the tail pipes in the meantime - seems to provide some good results from what I have read
Try the CRIOS first perhaps. Depending on how loud you like it you might not like the silencer on its own. The US guys on here effectively have another set of cats to dampen the sound. My recommendation for your UK car would be to do the silencer and manifolds together. The sound is better and so is the power.

The other thing to consider is a balance pipe between the 2 boxes.
Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
Old 08-05-2013, 11:34 PM   #91

Garage
edc - are you saying that using the Top Speed catback box may be a bit loud due to not having the second cat? I had thought about replacing the branches as a full system will always provide better performance but had been put off by the cost. The Fabspeed seems quite popular but from what I can see that will set you back a couple of thousand pounds. Hence my interest in something like the Top Speed catback. I did check whether they also supplied branches but from what I could see they didn’t for a 986.

Why do you need a balance pipe between the boxes? I assume here you mean the two separate boxes that the Top Speed catback unit has?

I see from your signature that you have a stainless steel exhaust and manifold – what did you fit?
Old 08-06-2013, 02:59 AM   #92
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
chipmunk - have a look here Tuned/modified 2000 Boxster S or on boxa.net http://www.boxa.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=53075
Old 08-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #93

Just put mine on today. Everything came off easy, but putting on the driver's side delete pipe took a bit of fiddling till I finally got everything to line up. Pax side was 10 times easier. I'm a super novice, so if I can do it anyone can. Only drive a few miles but feels like she's breathing easier and the growl comes on sooner. Guys at Topspeed were great at shipping it quickly and responding to emails.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:09 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcui View Post
Just put mine on today. Everything came off easy, but putting on the driver's side delete pipe took a bit of fiddling till I finally got everything to line up. Pax side was 10 times easier. I'm a super novice, so if I can do it anyone can. Only drive a few miles but feels like she's breathing easier and the growl comes on sooner. Guys at Topspeed were great at shipping it quickly and responding to emails.
Any "drone" around 3000 rpm...?
OHBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:23 PM   #95

I've only put a few miles on it. Did a short drive on the freeway and didn't hear any drone. It isn't very loud when you're cruising, but makes my NHP sound more aggressive when I stomp down. I am one of those that like it loud. My Durango sounds like a NASCAR.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:05 PM   #96

i just did a custom straight pipe from headers

i kept the headers cats, the rest is a straight exhaust...

hopefully, it wont be too loud..

db limit is 92 db,

Paseb is offline   Reply With Quote