Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 11:54 AM   #1

turbo 986?

hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has installed a TPC stage 1 turbo kit in a 986 located in Ca.

If so, were there any emission related issues?

Thanks.

'02 Boxster S 6 sp silver w/ black leather
low temp thermo
under drive pulley
de-snorkeled

troop1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:58 PM   #2

Garage
A handful of folks in the past did turbo their car. One guy that sticks in my head is Gary; he had two turbos on his car. I don't know if he sold the car or simply left the forum, some of his posts indicated he had an electrical problem unrelated to the turbochargers.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:24 PM   #3

Garage
I think the compression ratio is way too high for forced induction.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:05 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden View Post
I think the compression ratio is way too high for forced induction.
Adds another challenge to forced induction. Most of the people that did any forced induction ran 4-6 psi.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:08 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Boxster View Post
Adds another challenge to forced induction. Most of the people that did any forced induction ran 4-6 psi.
Why not change compression ratio? I am not looking at it due to possible heat and space issues in the Boxster.
reiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:44 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by reiver View Post
Why not change compression ratio? I am not looking at it due to possible heat and space issues in the Boxster.
The proper way to add forced induction is to 1STinstall cylinder sleeves & stronger pistons that also lower compression. This requires total engine disassembly, so basically you need to rebuild the engine, while you are "in there". This will cost $10,K+. Naturally you will want to start with a 3.2L+ engine for max power, so now you have 300+HP & 280+ ft/lbs torque with is plenty for any 3000lb street driven car.
Now if you want to add power,complexity,heat,cost & lower reliability to your car forced induction is the next step.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
The proper way to add forced induction is to 1STinstall cylinder sleeves & stronger pistons that also lower compression. This requires total engine disassembly, so basically you need to rebuild the engine, while you are "in there". This will cost $10,K+. Naturally you will want to start with a 3.2L+ engine for max power, so now you have 300+HP & 280+ ft/lbs torque with is plenty for any 3000lb street driven car.
Now if you want to add power,complexity,heat,cost & lower reliability to your car forced induction is the next step.
Plus you are going to need cams ground to a lobe profile designed for forced induction, and a reprogrammed DME for the same reasons.

The OEM engines are not designed for the kind of cylinder pressures that either a blower or a turbo create, even at low boost levels.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:47 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
It's not this complicated in the 350Z (needs forged/built internals for 500+ WHP) or BMW (up to 350WHP on a 325Ci). Neither requires internal work until that point. I am not familiar with the boxster enough to attempt it and worry enough about IMS failure as it is without pushing my luck. The engines for the other 2 are probably a lot cheaper to replace without going to a junk yard/part out resource. If I was going for pure power, I would have bought something else. The Boxster has the fun factor and I'm ok with the lower amount of power until I get used to having the engine behind me. I've only owned mine for a month and have little experience with Porsche, but have worked with the 4 cyl flat engines out of the Subbies that have lower compression.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:34 PM   #9

This has go to be the proper way to do it!

Porsche 996 3.6 Twin Turbo Engined Boxster Race / Track Day Car - 625 BHP | eBay
Glasgow 911SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #10
DIY extremist

it's tempting.... I considered it, but our factory compression is really high. I'd plan to put in different pistons if I were to do it and thus would want to start with a blown motor car for cheap. You can find them.
black_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #11

I rode in a boxster that was supercharged and it had strong pull from 0-100. He sold it for a 911 about a year after doing the SC kit, which is no longer sold.

Gary did a TT on his car and still has it and enjoys it, so saying that it crater's ones motor for sure is not a totally true statement. Induction certainly diminishes motor life though.

Emissions issues? Gary lives in Louisiana, where for $20 in the palm of a tech, they'll slap a emissions/safety inspection sticker on an alligator!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
I rode in a boxster that was supercharged and it had strong pull from 0-100. He sold it for a 911 about a year after doing the SC kit, which is no longer sold.

Gary did a TT on his car and still has it and enjoys it, so saying that it crater's ones motor for sure is not a totally true statement. Induction certainly diminishes motor life though.

Emissions issues? Gary lives in Louisiana, where for $20 in the palm of a tech, they'll slap a emissions/safety inspection sticker on an alligator!
My Parents live in SouthEast Texas and they have no emissions requirements in their county. It's different from county to county in Texas, but you have to meet the requirements of the county you live in...
Old 08-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasgow 911SC View Post
No pics of snails and engine make me angry. I just broke and ate my keyboard over this travesty...
Old 08-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post

Huh, any reason he left the forum? Haven't seen him on. Would be very cool if he frequented.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:48 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post

The OEM engines are not designed for the kind of cylinder pressures that either a blower or a turbo create, even at low boost levels.
Is this true of all m96/97 non-GT3 engines?
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:08 AM   #16

Garage
Yes all M96 are at least 11:1 & a engine designed for forced induction like a 996tt has 9.6:1 or less.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Yes all M96 are at least 11:1 & a engine designed for forced induction like a 996tt has 9.6:1 or less.
Why not just change the pistons for a different lower compression ratio? I've seen this done many times. I dropped mine down to 8.5:1 for more boost in the past (in other vehicles - don't want to turbo the boxster, personally)