986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   turbo 986? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/47527-turbo-986-a.html)

troop1 08-04-2013 11:54 AM

turbo 986?

hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has installed a TPC stage 1 turbo kit in a 986 located in Ca.

If so, were there any emission related issues?

Thanks.

'02 Boxster S 6 sp silver w/ black leather
low temp thermo
under drive pulley
de-snorkeled

Kenny Boxster 08-04-2013 02:58 PM

A handful of folks in the past did turbo their car. One guy that sticks in my head is Gary; he had two turbos on his car. I don't know if he sold the car or simply left the forum, some of his posts indicated he had an electrical problem unrelated to the turbochargers.

Jaxonalden 08-04-2013 08:24 PM

I think the compression ratio is way too high for forced induction.

Kenny Boxster 08-04-2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaxonalden (Post 355653)
I think the compression ratio is way too high for forced induction.

Adds another challenge to forced induction. Most of the people that did any forced induction ran 4-6 psi.

reiver 08-05-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny Boxster (Post 355655)
Adds another challenge to forced induction. Most of the people that did any forced induction ran 4-6 psi.

Why not change compression ratio? I am not looking at it due to possible heat and space issues in the Boxster.

BYprodriver 08-05-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reiver (Post 355719)
Why not change compression ratio? I am not looking at it due to possible heat and space issues in the Boxster.

The proper way to add forced induction is to 1STinstall cylinder sleeves & stronger pistons that also lower compression. This requires total engine disassembly, so basically you need to rebuild the engine, while you are "in there". This will cost $10,K+. Naturally you will want to start with a 3.2L+ engine for max power, so now you have 300+HP & 280+ ft/lbs torque with is plenty for any 3000lb street driven car.
Now if you want to add power,complexity,heat,cost & lower reliability to your car forced induction is the next step.

JFP in PA 08-05-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYprodriver (Post 355726)
The proper way to add forced induction is to 1STinstall cylinder sleeves & stronger pistons that also lower compression. This requires total engine disassembly, so basically you need to rebuild the engine, while you are "in there". This will cost $10,K+. Naturally you will want to start with a 3.2L+ engine for max power, so now you have 300+HP & 280+ ft/lbs torque with is plenty for any 3000lb street driven car.
Now if you want to add power,complexity,heat,cost & lower reliability to your car forced induction is the next step.

Plus you are going to need cams ground to a lobe profile designed for forced induction, and a reprogrammed DME for the same reasons.

The OEM engines are not designed for the kind of cylinder pressures that either a blower or a turbo create, even at low boost levels.

reiver 08-05-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYprodriver (Post 355726)

It's not this complicated in the 350Z (needs forged/built internals for 500+ WHP) or BMW (up to 350WHP on a 325Ci). Neither requires internal work until that point. I am not familiar with the boxster enough to attempt it and worry enough about IMS failure as it is without pushing my luck. The engines for the other 2 are probably a lot cheaper to replace without going to a junk yard/part out resource. If I was going for pure power, I would have bought something else. The Boxster has the fun factor and I'm ok with the lower amount of power until I get used to having the engine behind me. I've only owned mine for a month and have little experience with Porsche, but have worked with the 4 cyl flat engines out of the Subbies that have lower compression.

Glasgow 911SC 08-05-2013 01:34 PM

This has go to be the proper way to do it!

Porsche 996 3.6 Twin Turbo Engined Boxster Race / Track Day Car - 625 BHP | eBay

black_box 08-05-2013 02:22 PM

it's tempting.... I considered it, but our factory compression is really high. I'd plan to put in different pistons if I were to do it and thus would want to start with a blown motor car for cheap. You can find them.

RandallNeighbour 08-05-2013 02:43 PM

I rode in a boxster that was supercharged and it had strong pull from 0-100. He sold it for a 911 about a year after doing the SC kit, which is no longer sold.

Gary did a TT on his car and still has it and enjoys it, so saying that it crater's ones motor for sure is not a totally true statement. Induction certainly diminishes motor life though.

Emissions issues? Gary lives in Louisiana, where for $20 in the palm of a tech, they'll slap a emissions/safety inspection sticker on an alligator!

reiver 08-05-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour (Post 355776)
I rode in a boxster that was supercharged and it had strong pull from 0-100. He sold it for a 911 about a year after doing the SC kit, which is no longer sold.

Gary did a TT on his car and still has it and enjoys it, so saying that it crater's ones motor for sure is not a totally true statement. Induction certainly diminishes motor life though.

Emissions issues? Gary lives in Louisiana, where for $20 in the palm of a tech, they'll slap a emissions/safety inspection sticker on an alligator!

My Parents live in SouthEast Texas and they have no emissions requirements in their county. It's different from county to county in Texas, but you have to meet the requirements of the county you live in...:(

reiver 08-05-2013 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glasgow 911SC (Post 355755)

No pics of snails and engine make me angry. I just broke and ate my keyboard over this travesty...

Kenny Boxster 08-05-2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour (Post 355776)

Huh, any reason he left the forum? Haven't seen him on. Would be very cool if he frequented.

Perfectlap 08-09-2013 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 355727)

The OEM engines are not designed for the kind of cylinder pressures that either a blower or a turbo create, even at low boost levels.

Is this true of all m96/97 non-GT3 engines?

BYprodriver 08-09-2013 08:08 AM

Yes all M96 are at least 11:1 & a engine designed for forced induction like a 996tt has 9.6:1 or less.

reiver 08-09-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYprodriver (Post 356493)
Yes all M96 are at least 11:1 & a engine designed for forced induction like a 996tt has 9.6:1 or less.

Why not just change the pistons for a different lower compression ratio? I've seen this done many times. I dropped mine down to 8.5:1 for more boost in the past (in other vehicles - don't want to turbo the boxster, personally)