Thread: turbo 986?
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2013, 10:47 AM   #8
reiver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
The proper way to add forced induction is to 1STinstall cylinder sleeves & stronger pistons that also lower compression. This requires total engine disassembly, so basically you need to rebuild the engine, while you are "in there". This will cost $10,K+. Naturally you will want to start with a 3.2L+ engine for max power, so now you have 300+HP & 280+ ft/lbs torque with is plenty for any 3000lb street driven car.
Now if you want to add power,complexity,heat,cost & lower reliability to your car forced induction is the next step.
It's not this complicated in the 350Z (needs forged/built internals for 500+ WHP) or BMW (up to 350WHP on a 325Ci). Neither requires internal work until that point. I am not familiar with the boxster enough to attempt it and worry enough about IMS failure as it is without pushing my luck. The engines for the other 2 are probably a lot cheaper to replace without going to a junk yard/part out resource. If I was going for pure power, I would have bought something else. The Boxster has the fun factor and I'm ok with the lower amount of power until I get used to having the engine behind me. I've only owned mine for a month and have little experience with Porsche, but have worked with the 4 cyl flat engines out of the Subbies that have lower compression.
reiver is offline   Reply With Quote