Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 10:33 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000boxster986 View Post
Received a left and right pipes from Top-Speed with no issues. Overall quality appears to be good. However like others mine did not fit as well as I was hoping. I had to do some mods. Some of the proper fitment was hampered by the exhaust modes already done to the car before I bought it. I think it's called a Pedro exhaust mod etc... The Pedro mod has the 1" pipes welded to the U tubes and not the muffler inlet. So, they were unmovable, otherwise I might have been able to tilt the U tubes down for a better fit with the hardware received in the pipe kit.
I wound up using 1 3/4" ID x 2" OD reducers and 2" stainless flexible muffler pipe to get everything to work and to assure nothing was overstressed. I don't particularly like muffler clamps and bendable pipe for exhaust mods but check out the pics below. It's a solid fit and there are no leaks. I'm running stock manifolds with pre-cats.
I don't have the car off the rack as yet but did start it up and it sounds good.
I had the same problem with fitment on my stock muffler. The U-pipe did not connect with the TS pipes. I used all the strength I had to force it in place. I had to loosen the catback exhaust as well to move it back an inch. The problem I have now is an exhaust leak. The TS mid pipe end diameters were much smaller than the factory OEM U-pipe. Not even the clamps are enough to close the gap.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #42

Garage
Oops, I also had the small pipe diameter issue. Sorry, I had forgotten to mention that in the post. This was another reason the flex pipe seems to work well. Guess time will tell but it's pretty solid. I'm also thinking about adding a small bracket between the muffler and cross member just to assure the muffler doesn't move around on rougher than normal roads.
2000boxster986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:46 AM   #43

Garage
I'm not sure I follow what you are talking about for a bracket.

Remember that the muffler is mounted to the gearbox and engine as one unit with the rubber damper on the top side of the muffler.

What I am saying is the muffler and gearbox move as one unit you don't want to place a bracket from the muffler to a ridged cross-member. You will break something and have a lot of vibration.

I do like the way the flex pipes came out I did more forcing on mine then I was happy about.

Burning smell went away after about 200 miles. At first you would think the car was going to catch fire it smelled so bad.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:33 PM   #44

Garage
Thanks Dagdisco03, I copy. Very good point. The bracket I'm thinking of making would have a rubber section in the middle that would absorb small impacts. I understand what you are saying. There is movement from the engine/trans so locking it ridged to the cross member isn't a good idea. Sorry I didn't really expand on it in the original post. Glad you're keeping me honest. Pic attached is a small rubber shock absorber. I have a couple of these I was considering using. But now that I think about it... It's prob overkill. Maybe I should just run with it and see how it does. If I hear thumping I'll consider a custom shock bracket then. Thanks
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #45
Carnut

I followed this thread 'cause I have the Fabspeed pipes. I know they are way more expensive but the installation took maybe 30 - 40 minutes with no issues whatsoever. Just sayin'
Old 10-02-2012, 07:32 AM   #46
Homeboy981

Garage
I installed Top Speed's Cat Delete this weekend and IT IS butt dyno APPROVED! I love 'em! They give you a low growl at idle and seem to make the exhaust less restrictive. Can't wait to get the Full Cat Back Exhaust system now!

I understand a few members got sent TWO OF THE SAME SIDE, here's is the definitive way to tell the difference (just in case it happens again)…

This pic shows all the parts the Top Speed Cat Delets come with (the exhaust tubes are facing the wrong side - see how easy it is to do).

When you have the CORRECT PIPES…they will look like this when you rotate ONE OF THEM 180 degrees. Notice that the 3-bolt flanges DO NOT line up! That is how you know you have 2 DIFFERENT PIPES and they ARE CORRECT.

Here is a close up shot of the CORRECT PIPES with ONE ROTATED:

And here is 30 pounds of garbage….(but I'll sell them to pay for Cat Deletes - if anyone needs them)

Make sure you do a "dry fitting". Kenny rightly advised me to loosen the U-Bolts near the back muffler (hit them with PB Blaster FIRST).

Lightly connect the 3-bolt flange, loosen, and then work on getting the back to fit. It was a little off at the muffler but once worked in to place, it bolts up without a problem.

You know how when you blow your nose when you have a cold? For the first minute afterwards you can breathe….that is how my car seems to feel now, "uncongested".
Seems like my Box got rid of the "cold" and CAN BREATHE AGAIN!

My car is 30 lbs. lighter and more responsive at higher RPMs!
Old 10-02-2012, 09:04 AM   #47

Garage

Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #48

Garage
Not so happy....

Glad your fit worked out well Kenny.... This thread is sort of turning into a catch all for these pipes. Hopefully that is ok with everyone. So, after all of the fitting and communications on these pipes I'm not so thrilled with the outcome. I just took the box for a run and at idle and low rpm is sounds good So, I put my foot in it a bit... Not sure what I was expecting but it sounds like a pumped up 4 banger. Loud, and not even a pleasant loud, just loud! I'm guessing it's the Pedro mod on my exhaust so I'm going to plug those 1" pipes and see how it sounds. The Pedro mod has its place with a stock setup just not with these pipes installed. Anyone else care to comment on their overall impression of the exhaust note's of these pipes?
Old 10-02-2012, 04:25 PM   #49

Quote:
Glad your fit worked out well Kenny.... This thread is sort of turning into a catch all for these pipes. Hopefully that is ok with everyone. So, after all of the fitting and communications on these pipes I'm not so thrilled with the outcome. I just took the box for a run and at idle and low rpm is sounds good So, I put my foot in it a bit... Not sure what I was expecting but it sounds like a pumped up 4 banger. Loud, and not even a pleasant loud, just loud! I'm guessing it's the Pedro mod on my exhaust so I'm going to plug those 1" pipes and see how it sounds. The Pedro mod has its place with a stock setup just not with these pipes installed. Anyone else care to comment on their overall impression of the exhaust note's of these pipes?
it is after all just a straight pipe. I would suspect that you would get the same "sound" with secondary pipes from other mfgs.
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:05 PM   #50

Garage
Quote:
All mid pipes will do this- it is just a hollow metal tube. I am almost at a loss of words loud when you complain of it being loud when you put your foot on pedal! I am not trying to sound harsh but perhaps you should drive a hybrid if you want something not loud.

Last edited by Kenny Boxster; 10-02-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:41 PM   #51

Garage
Thanks Kenny for the hybrid suggestion. I'm not quite at that point as yet. Maybe next year . Maybe 'loud' was the wrong word. Maybe I should have said 'noisy'. Not a nice noisy more like just a blowing noise. I've had plenty of V8's with headers and nice exhaust so no I'm not hybrid ready. Yes, this is a straight pipe situation for the 1" muffler bypass but the muffler should be picking up most of it. It just wasn't want I expected. So that's what I shared. I'm after a subtle sports car sound, which is prob something I won't get with the boxster flat six. But, I'm learning here. this is my first Porsche. I posted my thoughts and experience only because this topic is open and the pipes everyone wanted are now available. I shared my install hoping someone with similar fitment issues would benefit from it. So in the same light I shared my disappointment as well. but, you learn and move on. That's a good thing. Sorry if my post offends anyone but it was just that, a post expressing an experience. I'll think twice next time and stick to solid issues. Cheers
Old 10-02-2012, 06:59 PM   #52

Quote:
I'm after a subtle sports car sound, which is prob something I won't get with the boxster flat six. Cheers
Really? What did you drive before? 6cyl engines have about the sweetest song this side of a V12. The straight and flat 6's are the best of the breed. With the flat having the most unique engine notes of all IMNSHO... If you are not happy with sound of your flat 6, it is a failure to mod properly or a failure of personal taste. Even a box stock Boxster has a pleasing if not understated exhaust note. I am a fan of Pedro, but not his exhaust mod. It seems pointless and is essentially a self inflicted exhaust leak. I would expect it in the world of fart can Hondas, but not on a Porsche (I know you bought it that way). Keep the bypass pipes and try fitting a standard 986 exhaust or attempt to plug the "leaks" in yours. I think you'll like that much better.

Last edited by shadrach74; 10-03-2012 at 06:23 AM.
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:33 AM   #53

Garage
Thanks Shasdrach74, I think you're right on. I'm sure it's the Pedro Mod. I'll pull the muffler this weekend and plug the 1" pipes. I agree, this little six can sound great. Just have to get the right combo. Thanks again,
Old 10-03-2012, 07:36 AM   #54
Carnut

Quote:
Thanks Shasdrach74, I think you're right on. I'm sure it's the Pedro Mod. I'll pull the muffler this weekend and plug the 1" pipes. I agree, this little six can sound great. Just have to get the right combo. Thanks again,
Plugging will do the trick. It will sound very nice, fo sho.....

I drilled my exhaust a little right where the tailpipe is, made a nice and subtle difference as well. Search for the thread called "10HP gain" or something.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:55 AM   #55
Homeboy981

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Boxster View Post
All mid pipes will do this- it is just a hollow metal tube. I am almost at a loss of words loud when you complain of it being loud when you put your foot on pedal! I am not trying to sound harsh but perhaps you should drive a hybrid if you want something not loud.
I did the Crios mod a.k.a drilling a ¾" hole in through the back of the muffler and with the Top Speed Cat Deletes - it sounds G-r-r-reat! Not too loud! Is there such a thing? Harleys and other "road furniture" go around without being muffled but IF a car or sportbike tries that it's too loud? O.K. maybe that is a bit too much…but short of that, as long as there is performance to be gained!!!

Now this has me thinking about headers and a cat back systems so my box can GROWL on the PROWL…as we are hunting down F-150s!
Old 10-03-2012, 08:51 AM   #56
DIY extremist

Still waiting on my replacement test pipes to come in (they did ship ASAP when I called to let them know there was a mixup on the packaged order).

I did want to say that John (Che) was super cool about it and let me keep the gaskets from the old set free of charge so I could swap the pipes around in the future without getting an exhaust leak from reused gaskets.

Still planning to do 3.8 swap, which is sitting in the garage, but will be taking a 700 mile RT with the 3.2 this weekend, so I'd like to swap in the headers and midpipes just to try them out since I have the extra gaskets. Hopefully the exhaust manifolds will come off easily -- I know they were removed 25k miles ago, so they should.

Looking forward to doing the job tomorrow.
black_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:03 PM   #57

black box...
If you are planning to fit John's (Che) headers, here's a tip which I learnt when I fitted mine last year. Before installing the headers, slightly enlarge the bolt holes as the originals line up with the head OK but I found that it left no room for slight adjustment to fit the bolts. One header was good, but the other required the slight movement to fit.
Installing the Top Speed headers & cat delete pipes coupled to the original Porsche S muffler certainly sounds good without the dreaded 3000 rpm drone. But here in Australia we don't have the primary cats in the headers (ROW specs) so it may be a different story your side of the ditch....
Old 10-03-2012, 05:02 PM   #58

Steve - are you running without cats at all? I have been for the last couple of weeks whilst I was waiting for some 200cell cats to arrive to install in my bypass pipes.

Seems when I ordered my bypass pipes, I didn't get those slip in reducer parts so had to make my own. As a result, there are some small leaks adding to the already loud noise. Looking forward to this weekend when the cats will be installed and the leaks fixed!

Sam
Old 10-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #59

Yes - running without cats at the moment - I was taking the car to a Porsche hill climb event in a couple of weeks ago but my wife broke her hand so new I can't go so I will probably put the cats back to be legal.
Shame really as the sound over 4,000 rpm is intoxicating........
Old 10-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #60

Garage
Blowing noise update

For anyone interested that's been following this thread. I plugged the Pedro mod exhaust tubes with super results. Now the TS bypass pipes are doing their job. Sound is nice and crisp without that straight pipe blow. Running the car up to about 4k makes a very sweet purr that a sports car should. Thanks Andy and Shadrach, you guys were right on.