Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2011, 05:57 AM   #1

Garage
CEL/Maf Cured

After a month of obsessing over a CEL (code P0102), yesterday the problem was finally remedied . Having ruled out any broken wires or ground problems, to include cleaning the existing sensor, I decided to install a new one. Here's the kicker ! At the urging of the retailer (whom, incidentally, is an authorized Bosch dealer), I decided to opt for their aftermarket clone (by the way it's not a refurbished or remanufactured part) over the oem replacement . Let me pause for a moment and say that I'm not someone who is inclined to skimp on anything when it comes to doing things right with the Dangermobile . However, given the fact that a MAF sensor is nothing more than a 10 cent piece of plastic with a glorified paperclip and piece of film - coupled with the knowledgeable and professional demeanor of the seller, I decided to give their aftermarket sensor a try. Besides, it came with a one year warranty, and if for some reason I was dissatisfied with the way it performed I could return it . So, after installing the part and subsequently clearing the code, I took the Dangermobile out for a 175 mile jaunt, which also included stopping for a yearly emissions/inspection test . The vehicle past with flying colors, and so far there's been no sign of the dreaded CEL. All's well that ends well, especially after having only spent $89 for the sensor .

JD
p.s. I don't know if it's me, but in hindsight there seemed to be a considerable improvement between how the engine felt yesterday and the period even before the CEL came on . That suggests to me that when a MAF sensor is reaching the end of it's life there's a significant decrease in performance . Perhaps, this is a time when the butt dyno and driver intuition comes into play .

Attached Images

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 06-04-2011 at 07:43 AM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:21 AM   #2

Will file that info. away for the future. In the meantime, go Danger GO! Party ON!!!

AKL :dance:
'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:36 AM   #3

Garage
Ah, yellow !!!!!!
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #4

Garage
Congrats, I love to find bargains but this thread is worthless without part numbers and web addresses, do share Dangerman!
Old 06-04-2011, 12:42 PM   #5

Garage
The seller that I purchased the sensor from is Buy Auto Parts . They sell quite a bit on Ebay. In fact, that's how I first came across them. If you know what the oem part number is on your sensor, or the corresponding Bosch number, they will cross reference it for you . Also, as I said before, if your someone who insists on only getting a genuine oem sensor, they're also an authorized Bosch dealer . And, they offer prices that are in keeping with many of the other online discount dealers . The link below is an example of their aftermarket sensor .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300472439656&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT#ht_3173wt_1167

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 06-04-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:33 PM   #6

Dang!!

I wish I had known this a couple weeks ago before I ordered one from Vertex Auto for 2.5 X the price... I may consider sending it back and ordering this one... Will have to call and check their return policy. Thanks for the post Danger
coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:06 PM   #7

Garage
Thanks for the link!

FYI: This is the same MAF sensor used in the Bosch engined Land Rover Discovery II and in many other vehicles I suspect.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:49 PM   #8

Thanks for the tip and sweet ride..not usually a fan of radical body kits, but that looks great. Also wish I knew of this MAF option when I replaced mine 1.5 yrs ago..
Old 06-06-2011, 04:20 PM   #9

Well, as they say, "your car is only as fast as your MAF is clean"

They don't really say that, but for you, it certainly seems to have been the case!
mikstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:11 PM   #10

Garage
Im glad you figured it out! I had a 1500 mi trip to get under way while i was still sorting mine out, so I just did o2 and Maf sensor replacement, either way like you I feel it runs better and no dash lights after 1500 miles... (besides low washer fluid but i feel that might add some HP) anyway congrats on the find!
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:43 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo1186
Im glad you figured it out! I had a 1500 mi trip to get under way while i was still sorting mine out, so I just did o2 and Maf sensor replacement, either way like you I feel it runs better and no dash lights after 1500 miles... (besides low washer fluid but i feel that might add some HP) anyway congrats on the find!

Have you thought of dyno-ing your boxster with and without washer fluid ?
Old 12-30-2011, 06:22 PM   #12

Johnny Danger, six months and x amount of miles since your install, your non-OEM MAF still working out for you?

I'm chasing a very intermittent problem with my Box starting up, revving up to 1,500-2,000 RPM, then RPMs drop off and stall. Checked for codes and received P1126: Oxygen sensing range 1 Cylinder (4-6). I'm not done troubleshooting, but I'm considering it could be the MAF. I took it out and sprayed it down with MAF specific cleaner, but it doesn't seem to have changed the problem. For $89, I just might go the swap-tronics route and replace the MAF.
bar10dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:45 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bar10dah View Post
Johnny Danger, six months and x amount of miles since your install, your non-OEM MAF still working out for you?

I'm chasing a very intermittent problem with my Box starting up, revving up to 1,500-2,000 RPM, then RPMs drop off and stall. Checked for codes and received P1126: Oxygen sensing range 1 Cylinder (4-6). I'm not done troubleshooting, but I'm considering it could be the MAF. I took it out and sprayed it down with MAF specific cleaner, but it doesn't seem to have changed the problem. For $89, I just might go the swap-tronics route and replace the MAF.
No problems thus far .
Old 06-13-2012, 01:46 PM   #14

Garage
not OEM MAF

Johnny Danger, is your non OEM MAF sensor still working well for you?

CEL and p0102. Purchased new non OEM MAF (not from your supplier). Rough idle and dies but when on the room revs fantastic. No hesitation just torque and go power. Once clutch in rough and sometime dies. Second sensor. First one same problem, returned for another.

Unplug MAF and idles smooth.

As you mentioned, hate to spend $200+ for piece of plastic with couple of components if your's is still doing well for you.

thanks!
mrjr1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:28 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjr1000 View Post
Johnny Danger, is your non OEM MAF sensor still working well for you?

CEL and p0102. Purchased new non OEM MAF (not from your supplier). Rough idle and dies but when on the room revs fantastic. No hesitation just torque and go power. Once clutch in rough and sometime dies. Second sensor. First one same problem, returned for another.

Unplug MAF and idles smooth.

As you mentioned, hate to spend $200+ for piece of plastic with couple of components if your's is still doing well for you.

thanks!
I know there are varying degrees of aftermarket maf sensors. However, the one that I picked up was virtually identical to the oem sensor . And, it's performed flawlessly for over a year now .
Old 06-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #16

I purchased the same one as JD, and 5-6 months later it's still working great.

Appears my old OEM MAF was just fine. If you want to borrow it for troubleshooting, I just ask that you pay for shipping both ways.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:29 PM   #17

Garage
bar10dah,

That would be fantastic! Sent you a private message regarding part number and proposed cost.

Many thanks!
Old 06-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #18

Just responded to you, Mrjr1000. I forgot to consider mine's a '99 and yours an '00, so the MAF is not compatible.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:17 PM   #19

Garage
I just got mysel MAF with the housing for BMW 540 for 40$ shipped
I used it in my 3.4 swap
Same connector just remove it from housing and there U go
Works great
Mass air Flow Sensor for BMW 540I, 740I, X5, Range Rover | eBay
golonaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:36 AM   #20

Garage
Thanks, Johnny Danger! Purchased MAF from linked provided, arrived Friday, installed Friday. Plug and play. Idle smooth. Off to KC for visited family and attending wedding.

Over 400 miles. No rough idle. No CEL.

Saved at least $160.

Thanks again JD.