Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 11:00 AM   #21

Just ordered mine. Will take about a week to get here. $50 for shipping tho which is outrageous even for Canada.

It is still about half the price of anywhere else though which is nice

Last edited by coolbreeze551; 06-25-2012 at 01:31 PM.
coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:02 PM   #22

Garage
Do I complete you guys or what !!
Old 06-26-2012, 02:30 AM   #23
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
Do I complete you guys or what !!

Something about this post makes me want to put an entire box of testosterone patches in the mail to you.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:35 AM   #24

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
Something about this post makes me want to put an entire box of testosterone patches in the mail to you.
Leave my testicles out of it !
Old 06-27-2012, 10:56 AM   #25

Got the sensor next day which was surprising and it did level out the RPM's however I am still getting the idle hunt for a few seconds when I come to a stop. I am not sure if that's the sensor or something else with the engine. Will be investigating through the forum. Thanks again for the link Johnny
Old 06-27-2012, 10:58 AM   #26

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze551 View Post
Got the sensor next day which was surprising and it did level out the RPM's however I am still getting the idle hunt for a few seconds when I come to a stop. I am not sure if that's the sensor or something else with the engine. Will be investigating through the forum. Thanks again for the link Johnny
Sometimes it can take a little time for the ecu to re-adapt .
Old 06-27-2012, 05:00 PM   #27

Garage
JD to the rescue! JD to the rescue! Go Johnny Danger! Go Johnny Danger!

Sung, of course, to the tune of Jim Dandy.
mrjr1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:08 PM   #28

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjr1000 View Post
JD to the rescue! JD to the rescue! Go Johnny Danger! Go Johnny Danger!

Sung, of course, to the tune of Jim Dandy.
Just think of me as being a life force !
Old 06-28-2012, 07:26 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
Sometimes it can take a little time for the ecu to re-adapt .
Noticed when I was in there doing the MAF that the oil filler tube is leaking oil on the engine. Wiped the source of the leak with a paper towel and sure enough, fresh oil. Looks like that leak could be the source of my persisting fluctuation. It did get better with the new MAF that your link took me to. In the shop today getting Low temp thermostat, fuel filter and now oil filler tube done. Should be running like a dream after that.:dance:
Old 09-07-2012, 09:13 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze551 View Post
Noticed when I was in there doing the MAF that the oil filler tube is leaking oil on the engine. Wiped the source of the leak with a paper towel and sure enough, fresh oil. Looks like that leak could be the source of my persisting fluctuation. It did get better with the new MAF that your link took me to. In the shop today getting Low temp thermostat, fuel filter and now oil filler tube done. Should be running like a dream after that.:dance:
Still having issues and the oil filler tube that was replaced is still leaking but the source is where the two tubes come together. I tried taking off the clip and moving them closer together but I don't want to risk pulling it out of where each tube is seated. I will be taking it back to the shop, once again , to be fixed. I am getting so tired of this **********
Old 09-13-2012, 03:08 PM   #31

How often have you guys had to replace your MAF? I just replaced mine about a year and a half ago and I'm throwing the 1128/1130 combo again. After I replaced it the first time, these codes were nonexistent. Now they're creeping up again every other drive.

I read somewhere that the TIP Boxsters use a different battery than the Group 48 that is listed for the car. Another forumer said this was causing low voltage readings which would cause those two codes? Does this sound accurate? I just replaced my battery last week with an Interstate Group 48, and was just curious.

Would really like to know how often I can expect to be replacing this damn MAF...
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:33 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofidleness View Post
How often have you guys had to replace your MAF? I just replaced mine about a year and a half ago and I'm throwing the 1128/1130 combo again. After I replaced it the first time, these codes were nonexistent. Now they're creeping up again every other drive.

I read somewhere that the TIP Boxsters use a different battery than the Group 48 that is listed for the car. Another forumer said this was causing low voltage readings which would cause those two codes? Does this sound accurate? I just replaced my battery last week with an Interstate Group 48, and was just curious.

Would really like to know how often I can expect to be replacing this damn MAF...
Tip must use Group 94R. It may or may not clear the codes.

2010 Ford F150 FX4 Luxury

Retired after 38 years with the same company.
Jaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:06 PM   #33

Jaak I just saw your other thread on the battery issue for TIPs. I actually just replaced the battery 3 weeks ago with a 48 and just got off the phone with the place. They said they'd swap it out for free if I could bring in paperwork that showed that my car calls for a 94R instead (their system shows the 48). Is this documented anywhere that the Tip uses the 94?
Old 09-15-2012, 11:26 PM   #34

JD, would this one work?
Shows the right part number, but my '00 non-S isn't listed as compatible:

PORSCHE MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR METER MAF 3.4L 3.6L 97-05 | eBay

also, this will sound really dumb, but the part number also matches this auction which appears to come with the sensor and the housing for $22!!!!

BRAND NEW 99-06 VW MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR METER MAF 2.8L 0280218017 | eBay

What's the catch?
Old 09-16-2012, 06:01 AM   #35

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofidleness View Post
JD, would this one work?
Shows the right part number, but my '00 non-S isn't listed as compatible:

PORSCHE MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR METER MAF 3.4L 3.6L 97-05 | eBay

also, this will sound really dumb, but the part number also matches this auction which appears to come with the sensor and the housing for $22!!!!

BRAND NEW 99-06 VW MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR METER MAF 2.8L 0280218017 | eBay

What's the catch?
Generally speaking, I'm not one to recommend buying generic or aftermarket "clones" without knowing the actual origins of the part. However, I got lucky about a year ago when I was about to purchase a genuine Bosch MAF sensor, wherein the seller informed me about an aftermarket version they carried as well - that was a fraction of the cost of the Bosch sensor. Is it turned out, the sensor proved to be identical in every way to the oem part, and it has since performed flawlessly. Nevertheless, I view my experience in this particular case as being an exception to the rule. And, that's why I decided to report on it.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:35 AM   #36

Just wanted to add to this thread..I was pulling 4 codes on my 98 (Cant recall exactly what they were now but I'll dig them up again, P1124, P1126, P1128 and P1130 seems to ring a bell? Let me confirm again though) After lots of reading on here and other forums, I figured a faulty MAF was the culprit. Tried to clean it a couple times with no luck..check engine would come back on within 20 kms.

I picked up one of the ebay MAF's. The MAF came from Carparts Wholesale and it cost me $48.00 plus $2.50 for shipping to Ontario Canada. I figured at that price, it was worth a shot. ($400 were my local quotes) I called to confirm and cross reference part numbers (both the bosche and porsch numbers) to make sure it was the right one for my 98.

Arrived yesterday morning, at first glance it looks identical, only missing the "bosche" logo. Threw it in yesterday afternoon and all good so far (crossing fingers) Drove around last night for a couple hours (150 kms give or take, highway, through town, trying to get all driving conditions) enjoying the last few sunny mild days and it's working perfectly!

No check engine light so far, much smoother acceleration (above 5k where there was a very slight hesitation) drives like a new car again!
58ceramicgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:51 AM   #37

Gents,
My MAF is at end of life. I got the one from Buy Auto Parts. For the S model it was 109. Installed and drove for over 100 miles with quite a few stops and slowdowns. Car is very sluggish. No idle or hunting RPM issues, no CEL. When accelerating its like it doesnt have any power at all. I dont hear the heavenly sound of the exhaust which I used to over 4000 rpm. Disconnected and drove it and it seems it's back to life again.

Bad sensor maybe? It is under warranty but I would like to be sure before I return it for replacement. Thanks.
2000 Boxster S 3.2L
1990 Land Rover Defender 6x6
Bala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:24 PM   #38

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bala View Post
Gents,
My MAF is at end of life. I got the one from Buy Auto Parts. For the S model it was 109. Installed and drove for over 100 miles with quite a few stops and slowdowns. Car is very sluggish. No idle or hunting RPM issues, no CEL. When accelerating its like it doesnt have any power at all. I dont hear the heavenly sound of the exhaust which I used to over 4000 rpm. Disconnected and drove it and it seems it's back to life again.

Bad sensor maybe? It is under warranty but I would like to be sure before I return it for replacement. Thanks.
It's hard know, but my experience has always been that an MAF sensor either works or it doesn't. In which case, if the sensor is not working properly then it would trigger a cel.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:02 PM   #39

No CEL so far. But the car feels like it's pulling a semi.
2000 Boxster S 3.2L
1990 Land Rover Defender 6x6
Bala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:20 PM   #40

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bala View Post
No CEL so far. But the car feels like it's pulling a semi.
Actually, I have experienced what I would call a noticeable decline in performance when an MAF sensor is on it's way out. But, this occurs during a very short "window" of time just before the sensor fails and triggers a cel. Maybe you should consider returning it for a replacement and see what happens .