Thread: CEL/Maf Cured
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2011, 05:57 AM   #1
Johnny Danger

Garage
CEL/Maf Cured

After a month of obsessing over a CEL (code P0102), yesterday the problem was finally remedied . Having ruled out any broken wires or ground problems, to include cleaning the existing sensor, I decided to install a new one. Here's the kicker ! At the urging of the retailer (whom, incidentally, is an authorized Bosch dealer), I decided to opt for their aftermarket clone (by the way it's not a refurbished or remanufactured part) over the oem replacement . Let me pause for a moment and say that I'm not someone who is inclined to skimp on anything when it comes to doing things right with the Dangermobile . However, given the fact that a MAF sensor is nothing more than a 10 cent piece of plastic with a glorified paperclip and piece of film - coupled with the knowledgeable and professional demeanor of the seller, I decided to give their aftermarket sensor a try. Besides, it came with a one year warranty, and if for some reason I was dissatisfied with the way it performed I could return it . So, after installing the part and subsequently clearing the code, I took the Dangermobile out for a 175 mile jaunt, which also included stopping for a yearly emissions/inspection test . The vehicle past with flying colors, and so far there's been no sign of the dreaded CEL. All's well that ends well, especially after having only spent $89 for the sensor .

JD
p.s. I don't know if it's me, but in hindsight there seemed to be a considerable improvement between how the engine felt yesterday and the period even before the CEL came on . That suggests to me that when a MAF sensor is reaching the end of it's life there's a significant decrease in performance . Perhaps, this is a time when the butt dyno and driver intuition comes into play .
Attached Images

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 06-04-2011 at 07:43 AM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote