Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2009, 12:49 PM   #1

3.4 Project Begins UPDATES!

12pm today the motor showed up from LA Porsche. It was put on a plane and arrived at JFK this morning and came to my house. Here are some of the photos that I took while it was in my driveway. If anyone wants other detailed photos of the 3.4 still in its carrera form please let me know and I will take the photos asap. I ordered some assorted gaskets from porsche today and there not going to come in for a few days so the motor will stay together untill then. Enjoy. I am going to try and do a real detailed write up on the whole swap and if I can get some video of things coming off and on I will be doing that also.

Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.

Last edited by JAAY; 02-23-2009 at 06:28 AM.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:56 PM   #2
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAAY
12pm today the motor showed up from LA Porsche. It was put on a plane and arrived at JFK this morning and came to my house. Here are some of the photos that I took while it was in my driveway. If anyone wants other detailed photos of the 3.4 still in its carrera form please let me know and I will take the photos asap. I ordered some assorted gaskets from porsche today and there not going to come in for a few days so the motor will stay together untill then. Enjoy. I am going to try and do a real detailed write up on the whole swap and if I can get some video of things coming off and on I will be doing that also.

Now that you've got it, how much was it?
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:00 PM   #3

6400.00 shipped. I have the throttle body for it also. Just not pictured.
:dance:
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:57 PM   #4

Subscribed, can't wait to see the end result.
gaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:56 AM   #5

Great photos, cannt wait to see how it turns out,

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:04 AM   #6

Have fun

Its not as hard as it appears!
catmanluge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:50 AM   #7

Agreed. It does not look too difficult. I do see some differences from todds writeup. I am going to focus on some details that I think will be beneficial to others that may want to do this swap.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:35 PM   #8

Anyone have an oil dipstick, the housing? I forgot that I broke mine when I took the motor out.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:50 PM   #9

I don't think this is exactly what you're after, but check it out: http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/986M/POR_986M_ENGoil_pg1.htm#item2
You could always contact pelican or suncoast for the specifics. The Oil Filler tube is only $38, so the dipstick tube couldn't be that much.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:27 PM   #10

yea, not that. I found one on ebay but it is for a newer year and a S. So I don't know if the placement will wind up the same in my trunk. Thanks for looking though, it's pretty cool that you even looked that far for me.

Jay
Old 01-28-2009, 10:42 PM   #11

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
interesting. I cannot wait to read ur writeup!

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:36 PM   #12

So the project really begins...

Boxster 2.5 on the left Carrera 3.4 on the right

First off let me say these motors are heavy. 450lbs to be exact.

Below is the photo of the front motor mount mounting hole that is talked about in todd's swap. For some reason or another I do not have that on my boxster or the 3.4 motor. I am just pointing it out to show you. This is a photo of the 2.5 motor. The front motor mount is only bolted up with three 15mm bolts.

The 3.4 has the same three bolt locations so there there was no reason for me to concern myself with the extra bolt location. The photo below shows the stock 3.4 mount.

So I removed both mounts the 3.4 and the 2.5. The big difference is that the 3.4 is mounted with studs and the 2.5 is mounted with bolts. These need to be swapped. I just used a vice grip and spun out the studs on the 3.4 and used the 2.5 bolts. They were a perfect fit. The reason for this is the 2.5 mount is thicker than the 3.4 metal. Photo below to show what I mean.

To be continued in a few minutes... Dinner time..
Old 02-03-2009, 05:02 PM   #13

Actually, all four mounting bolts are present on both engines, it is the cap screw to the right of your finger in the second photo. The old boxster engine mount on your 986 motor simply doesn't have the fourth mounting position. The first update of the mount many years ago was to add the fourth mounting position. I would recommend updating the front mount to the newest mount and use all four mounting points while you have things apart.

Also there are 4 mounting points on the 996 mount. Remove the stud of the one to the upper right in the photo and replace it with the cap screw at the same position on the front of the boxster motor. As you already found out the mounting studs on the 996 motor must be removed and you use the boxster mounting bolts.

It is too late now but you don't need to break open the AC system to remove the motor, just remove the compressor from the motor, that way recharging the system isn't necessary.
Have fun.

-Todd
1971 911T

Last edited by tholyoak; 02-03-2009 at 05:05 PM.
tholyoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:25 PM   #14

Thanks for the update about the updated mount.

I had no real method to my madness on the breakdown of this all. So next I started swapping some things from Todd's write up. Here are some photos of some parts that were swapped, and all need new gaskets. 2.5 photos first then the 3.4 photos.

So those two water outlets have to be swapped along with these also.

Here are two more parts that have to be swapped. The first on is the cap that is on the water pipe on the 2.5 motor and then other is the water outlet from the 3.4 These also need new gaskets.

Next I looked at the Oil Pressure Gauge sensor. If you want to keep it all in stock location you have to do some moving and plugging. I did not get to do this yet but I took some shots of what you have to work with. The sensor sits on the opposite side of the motor on the 3.4 than the 2.5 You could use the 3.4 sensor, I am just going to use the 2.5 sensor. If there is any question which is which the 3.4 sensor is the larger gold vdo sensor.

I took a photo of the plug to fill where the old sensor was. These plugs are on both motors just on the opposite sides.

Next I took off the intake manifolds. There is no real magic to this, just becarefull of the different vacuum lines not to break them. After I took them off I removed the oil filler tube from the 3.4 and removed the oil dipstick tube from the 3.4 I did not replace them yet with the 2.5 fittings. I have not taken the other motor apart yet to this point. I don't know if you have to do this but I pulled the alternator pulley and bolt to move it over a tiny bit to get to one of the 10mm bolts holing in the oil filler tube. The oil filler tube and dipstick need new grommets too.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:27 PM   #15

Here is a photo of the solenoid that Todd spoke of, the one that you have to run a wire from.. TODD I NEED A PIN Also a picture of the actuator and the internals of the plenum.

For now this is where I am at. I am awaiting gaskets from the dealer. All the parts in the photos are just mocked up for now for the photos and so I didn't loose anything. Todd informed me that I can use a clutch from a non-S 987. I am waiting for that too.

To be continued in another couple days..

Old 02-04-2009, 10:04 AM   #16

this is a REALLY great writeup. When you are all done, you should put all the photos/video together into some sort of large document. who knows, maybe you could sell it....

as these cars age, become cheaper, and there are more high mileage 986s that need motor transplants, there will be more people willing to do a swap.

I know that if I have my car long enough - and needed to do a new motor - and I decided to pay the money to do it - I'd for SURE spend the little extra to do what you did and put a 3.4L or 3.6L into my car. I have a 2.7 base - so I think I can only do a 3.4L... like you are doing.

your car is going to be FAST when you are done. you are going to go from about 200hp to about 300hp. overall weight of your car should not change much if at all - right?!?

you should outrun a new 987S. for a lot less money spent.

is that price for you rmotor standard or did you get some smokin' cheap deal?
$6400 for the engine doesn't sound too bad given the quotes I have heard just for stock motors! even if I had to do this and paid a pro/independent to do the labor - you could be OTD for under $15k - and probably add in some headers, ehxaust, new clutch while you're at it....

keep us posted on your project!!! what is your anticipated date of completion?
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:17 AM   #17

I am only following Todd's write up that was done a long time ago. He is the man! The things I am posting are some of the things that I did not know needed to be done. I have headers and exhaust already for the car so that is all going back on. I am actually running out the door now to go order my clutch and more gaskets. Check back later on. I am going to maybe do some more work on the motors tonight and take more photos.

The price I got was not some insane price I don't think. You can find these motors on ebay for around 7k. And for your car you would want to do a 3.6 or a 3.8 I believe. Don't trust me on that. Thanks for the comments. Check back later on this evening after 9pm NY time.

As for completion. I would say in and running in the next 2 weeks. I need to find someone to reflash my ecu with the 3.4's. I don't know who I am going to use yet for that. I don't want to spend 1k on a reflash.

Last edited by JAAY; 02-05-2009 at 07:26 AM.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:42 PM   #18

If you can't find anyone local I can help you out with the programming and provide you with the pin you need for the DME connector.

-Todd
1971 911T
tholyoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:52 PM   #19

The pin I do need. As for the programming I do not have anyone local here. I live way out on Long Island NY about an hour and a half east of NYC. There are many porsche shops but no tuners. If you could PM me and let me know what your thinking. Thanks again for all your input.

Jay
Old 02-04-2009, 07:26 PM   #20

This is a useless photo that I stumbled over on my photobucket page from when the car was supercharged.. I just thought it was cool. More info on the swap below the photo.

Tonight I took the 2.5 intake manifolds off and removed the harness from it. I also relocated the oil pressure sensor and plugged the whole from which it came from. Also replaced the hose from the top of the oil cooler on the 3.4 to the hose from the 2.5. Swapped the A/C lines but did not get to the P/S lines. I am not too sure on how one of them comes off so I am going to wait until some one can help or tell me on that one. Also Swapped out the wiring for the alternator, that was a direct swap also. Removed the oil filler tube from the 2.5 and I am still waiting on gaskets and O rings to put those parts back on. I started to plug in the boxster harness on the 3.4 while all the clips where still fresh in my mind. That is when I stopped for tonight. It is cold and the Kerosene makes me see things. LOL. Sorry that I didn't post any photos. I took a photo of the oil pressure sender but it is not that exciting to see. As for the harness swapping and all that. It is all straight foward for the most part so I left that out also. I don't want to re write Todd's PDF just share what I am doing and what I feel might be important to others who may do this.

J