Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2004, 02:17 PM   #1

Tear in rear window covered under warranty?

I've seen posts about a tear in the rear window being covered under warranty with the fix being to replace the roof. I have the same problem, a small vertical tear in the top middle of the window. The dealer said the top is a 50/50 shot for warranty and factors such as wear and the condition of the top factor in. My issue was deemed NOT covered because it looks like the previous owner didn't do the "chop" thing to train the window to fold properly and that was reason enough for them to say the roof was not properly used and the warranty was not in effect. I'd be surprised if many people have done that...

This seems to be a discretionary thing that the dealers refer to Porsche N.A. (or at least that's what I was told) to make the decision. If anyone has experience with this, particularly if you were able to get the top replaced, will you please share what you know? It would help to know which dealers have agreed to honor the warranty so I can give my dealer some information to build his own case to get reimbursed. The only other options are to have a new window sewn in ($700) or pay for a roof myself.

Thanks,

CA_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 05:29 PM   #2

What is the model year of your car. And what is the mlies.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 09:45 PM   #3

2000 with 21,700 miles. Still under warranty until February '05 (it was a very late in-service car). I bought it in June. I've had other warranty work done on it and have recently called Porsche N.A. to appeal the decision. I'm still waiting for them to get back to me.
Old 09-30-2004, 05:13 AM   #4

When a top is replaced under warranty or goodwill the old top is sent to PCNA in Atlanta, their warranty test center. If PCNA decides it should not have been replaced under warranty then they don't pay the dealer.

As of July last year Porsche has been tough. One of our local Boxster owners was almost out of warranty and she convinced the dealer to replace the top - I forget the nature of the problem. She has a 2000 2.7. Good luck. Call 1-800-PORSCHE if you have not already done so.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:56 AM   #5

Thanks. 1-800-PORSCHE is the number I called to have them look into it.
Old 09-30-2004, 02:26 PM   #6

You mention a local owner who got it done. I'm also near San Jose - do you know what dealership she went to? I've been dealing woth Stevens Creek Porsche. Maybe a different dealer is a little more loose with the process.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:03 PM   #7

I think you need to get away from your computer and the hours you spend on it. And talk to and meet local owners.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2766
Old 09-30-2004, 04:15 PM   #8

Hey - at least it *looks* like I'm working...
Old 10-02-2004, 10:25 AM   #9
porsche986

Quote:
Originally posted by Tool Pants
I think you need to get away from your computer and the hours you spend on it. And talk to and meet local owners.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2766

and yet he quotes another web address lol
Old 10-02-2004, 11:43 AM   #10

Garage
Hello CA_Boxster,

1. It is the same story we here anywhere. Porsche gives you a "warranty" but once you have to appeal to it then they say that it concerns a wear and tear item. I had a similar problem with a remote control. Porsche just dare not say that you have to keep the car immobilised for 2 years to appeal to warranty...

2. Read your owner's manual carefully. It is nowhere indicated that you should do the 'chop thing' or that you should help the plastic rear window to fold when opening the roof.

3. The dealer just asks Porsche NA if they intervene in warranty; when Porsche NA says no then the dealer does not insist. This is NOT correct. It is a dealer's job to defend his customer and to urge for a warranty intervention when the customer's demand is reasonable and when there is no reason to believe the customer misabused the car, which he in many cases can see from the overall condition of the car.

I can only recommend to rediscuss the matter with your dealer.
If nobody wants to react then you better bring the dealer and Porsche to court. I know it is time consuming but it might be the only solution if nobody wants to help you.
Do not replace the rear window by your own or don't have it repaired by an independent shop since then you risk to loose the warranty for the whole roof (mechanism) since the replacement of the plastic window only is not an accepted repair method for Porsche.

So I wish you good luck, don't give up too fast !

Regards from Alfred / Belgium

Last edited by privateselling; 10-02-2004 at 01:09 PM.
privateselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 12:18 PM   #11
porsche986

Hi, to replace the plastic window is fine... it is accepted in the UK as a repair... i mean you cant expect to replace the whole roof everytime the window cracks... thats crazy... i have had my window replaced 2 times in 6 year by porsche.

infact they recommend replacing it every 3 years... but come on why replace the whole roof when a window is just as good, no wonder porsche are getting annoyed... can you blame them?

the window replacement is fine and infact now available as dark plastic. plastic windows WILL always split.. there is no getting away from it.. also wear and tear is accepted when it comes to window cracks...

although it doesnt say you have to chop the window in the book but it also doesnt say how to drive a car... the point is ... the chop thing is to help the window from splitting... once the line has been formed it is ok... its the same with every convertable from ferrari to bmw

Last edited by porsche986; 10-02-2004 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-02-2004, 12:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally posted by porsche986
and yet he quotes another web address lol
He said he was in the San Jose area. I live in San Jose. RennTech is based the San Jose area. Morgan Hill to be exact. A 10 minute drive from where I live.

We have a few Boxsters where I live and a few owners with replacement plastic windows and tops.

Old 10-02-2004, 01:15 PM   #13

Garage
Hi Porsche 986,
I can imagine that Porsche UK accepts the replacement of the rear plastic window but then they decided it locally for their own (financial) benefit.
I was very surprised to read that a replacement after 3 years was recommended ???
Note that it was Porsche who developed the Boxster with its plastic rear window and we may expect that they did some aging tests with it before releasing it for production. If they were in the opinion that it should be changed every 'X'-years then they better installed it with a zipper.
So I can assure you that a replacement of the rear plastic window is not a Porsche accepted issue at the Continent.
I just wanted to draw the attention of CA_Boxster to this regulation which he better checks with his dealer and with Porsche NA in writing to avoid any misunderstandings about warranty which is still valid on his car!

Regards,

Alfred

Last edited by privateselling; 10-02-2004 at 01:24 PM.
privateselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 01:27 PM   #14
porsche986

i aint sure about USA porsche laws, all i can say i got my window replaced at porsche. I dopped it in at 9.00am picked it up at 4.00pm the same day. My dealer does state its recommended the window is replaced every 3 years or when it looks a bit old, i mean you dont really wanna be driving around with a marked rear window. Porsche, ferrari, bmw merc all have this problem.. if you ask me its part of owning a softtop.

There is no need for a zipper as to change a plastic window takes only 1 hour.

after 3 years windows start to look a little old and marked.. like me my top is always down, however if you only convert once a week then you have no problem.

All i can say is i booked my car for a new window and thats what i got. Besides when i get my 996 i wont have a softop as i have my bmw m3 for sunny days. The 996 will be a pure power house..

if porsche will replace the whole roof then sure go for it, but dont be to dissopointed if they dont... the windows arnt much..

Alfed i didnt know porsche was that different around the world. I know its very strange ...

its also worth pointing out that those complete roofs are always on ebay for around $295...

Last edited by porsche986; 10-02-2004 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:11 PM   #15

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

The dealer doesn't do replacement windows. They referred me to an outside shop (unrelated to Porsche) to look at that option, and the price tag was going to be $700. The dealer said they don't do replacement windows because then they have to cover leaks, etc. I didn't go in looking for a new top - that's just the rule they said they follow.

Anyway, I'm supposed to hear from the regional guys by tomorrow. I'll see what happens. I figure they'll either do it for good reputation or they'll stick to their guns and refuse. I bet it will be the latter.