Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2019, 07:21 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Hey, Handsome! Weather... had 6" snow yesterday... gone today.

Found this nugget for you fellas:

https://www.tsln.com/news/stangle-impossible-burgers-are-made-of-what/

A doctor did an analysis of what is in one of these "burgers" and this is what he found:

Quote:
The impossible whopper has 630 calories, mostly from the added oils. The whopper has 660 calories. So, about 5% less calories, this is not a huge improvement.

The impossible whopper has 25 grams of protein. The whopper has 28 grams. Seems pretty equal, only 11% less protein in the impossible whopper. However, not all proteins are created equal. There are 20 amino acids. Nine of which are essential, meaning your body cannot make them so they are required in the diet. Each of those essential amino acids must meet a certain level to make a complete protein profile. If any essential amino acid does not hit the required amount, it is said to be rate limiting. As an analogy, picture nine chains connected in a line. All of the chains need to lift 100 pounds to carry the load. If one chain can only support 50 pounds, it doesn't matter how much the others can support. The 50 pound chain is the rate limiting chain.

As an extreme example, bovine gelatin, aka Jell-O, is 100% protein; however, it completely lacks the essential amino acid histidine. Therefore, its value as a protein is zero. In beef the rate limiting amino acid is tryptophan, which is at 79% of the required level. In soy protein, the rate limiting amino acid is methionine, which is at 41% of the required level. So, to compare the impossible whopper with the whopper, you have to take 0.41 x 25 grams of protein and compare it to 0.79 x 28 grams of protein. The impossible whopper has 10 grams of usable protein and the whopper has 22 grams of usable protein. So you would have to eat two and a quarter impossible whoppers to get the same protein in one whopper.

Now, let's compare the estrogen hormone in an impossible whopper to the whopper made from hormone implanted beef. The impossible whopper has 44 mg of estrogen and the whopper has 2.5 ng of estrogen. Now let me refresh your metric system. There are 1 million nanograms (ng) in one milligram (mg). That means an impossible whopper has 18 million times as much estrogen as a regular whopper. Just six glasses of soy milk per day has enough estrogen to grow boobs on a male. That's the equivalent of eating four impossible whoppers per day. You would have to eat 880 pounds of beef from an implanted steer to equal the amount of estrogen in one birth control pill.

Yes that's right, an Impossible Burger is giving you enough estrogen to turn you into a woman. In fact, it's way above the oral dose of estradiol that they give to men undergoing hormone replacement therapy to become a woman (the normal dose is 2 to 6 mg per day).

https://www.vnsnychoice.org/sites/default/files/CHOICE%20Treatment%20of%20Gender-Dysphoric%20Persons%20Quick%20Reference%20Guide.pd f

I am firmly convinced that this is not a coincidence. The elites are trying to create a population of passive and compliant men who will do whatever they are told.
Whenever they say "a doctor" and don't give a name, organization, AND peer reviews, I take anything with more than a grain of salt.

I tried an Impossible Whopper just out of curiosity, but I never was a fan of anything trying to be something it wasn't. If it's not a burger, don't try to pretend it is!

A burger is made of meat, period.

Costco used to sell veggie patties that never pretended to be burgers. You could actually see the bits of corn, carrots, etc. I liked them! They weren't trying to pass it off as a burger. They didn't try to make them taste like beef. It was a good veggie patty. It wasn't meant to compete with or replace a burger.

piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 10:06 AM   #42
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
I tried an Impossible Whopper just out of curiosity
And... how was it?

Last edited by Starter986; 12-28-2019 at 12:41 PM.
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 06:19 PM   #43

I hear lots of people asking why someone needs an assault rifle to go hunting with. In the south, feral hogs cause millions of dollars of damage in crop and property damage. Many farmers welcome hunters coming on their property and killing as many as they can. Hogs are pretty smart and they usually scatter quickly after one shot. Even with a suppressor, you don't have much time before they realize something's up and run. Farmers need dozens killed. Not one here or one there.

Last edited by itsnotanova; 12-28-2019 at 06:53 PM.
itsnotanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 08:08 PM   #44

Quote:
And... how was it?
It was OK. I could take it or leave it. I also got a real burger for side-by-side comparison. The Impossible Burger was very close, but not exactly like a beef burger. If I didn't have a real burger to compare it to, I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

BTW, I saw what you had previously written but I had to run to a wedding and didn't have time to write back right away, so here's my reply:

If I had them I'd never want to leave the house!

Last edited by piper6909; 12-28-2019 at 08:26 PM.
Old 12-28-2019, 08:28 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
I hear lots of people asking why someone needs an assault rifle to go hunting with. In the south, feral hogs cause millions of dollars of damage in crop and property damage. Many farmers welcome hunters coming on their property and killing as many as they can. Hogs are pretty smart and they usually scatter quickly after one shot. Even with a suppressor, you don't have much time before they realize something's up and run. Farmers need dozens killed. Not one here or one there.
I heard or read that somewhere before. So they go hog hunting with AR-15s?
Old 12-29-2019, 04:23 AM   #46

Kinda why the 300 Blackout round became so popular. A heavy bullet, subsonic speed. Extremely quite with a can. and can feed thru the AR platform very well.
SMK Shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 05:22 AM   #47

Quote:
I heard or read that somewhere before. So they go hog hunting with AR-15s?
A lot of people use the ar-15 with success but the bullet is a little small in my opinion. I bought an ar-10 for that use and have been using it for deer this year too. I've been using it for deer this year only to get comfortable with it. Like they taught me in the army. One shot one kill. I'm not out there spraying bullets around. Aim, shoot, move on to the next.
I don't consider myself a "gun guy" but a lot of people would because of how many I have. I'm a hunter, and I have different guns for different game. While I bought my assault rifles mostly for hunting, to a certain degree I bought them for self-defense. I'm not a chicken little, but to a certain degree I bought them in case of a natural or economical disaster. 99% of the population would be clueless if we lost power for over a month. Unlike them, I'm ready to defend what I have.
Old 12-29-2019, 06:04 AM   #48
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
BTW, I saw what you had previously written but I had to run to a wedding and didn't have time to write back right away, so here's my reply:

If I had them I'd never want to leave the house!
Ha Ha!! Yeah... I was watching some tube and thought, "Maybe that was innapropriate"... and edited it, lol.

I love weddings... especially on a Saturday. Hope you had a great time... and the weather was favorable. Did you drive the 986?
Old 12-29-2019, 03:14 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
A lot of people use the ar-15 with success but the bullet is a little small in my opinion. I bought an ar-10 for that use and have been using it for deer this year too. I've been using it for deer this year only to get comfortable with it. Like they taught me in the army. One shot one kill. I'm not out there spraying bullets around. Aim, shoot, move on to the next.
I don't consider myself a "gun guy" but a lot of people would because of how many I have. I'm a hunter, and I have different guns for different game. While I bought my assault rifles mostly for hunting, to a certain degree I bought them for self-defense. I'm not a chicken little, but to a certain degree I bought them in case of a natural or economical disaster. 99% of the population would be clueless if we lost power for over a month. Unlike them, I'm ready to defend what I have.
That's why I don't hunt... I like to spray bullets.

I also don't like to be quiet and patient.

All that said I love to eat other people's procured venison.

I don't particularly like the AR platform guns just because I feel its overused. I like being different. One of these days I'll get a krinkov (its a tinny AK47), but I just don't see the need to spend $600 on a gun atm I like what I've got.

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 04:36 AM   #50

Quote:
Ha Ha!! Yeah... I was watching some tube and thought, "Maybe that was innapropriate"... and edited it, lol.

I love weddings... especially on a Saturday. Hope you had a great time... and the weather was favorable. Did you drive the 986?
Maybe a little inappropriate, but I thought it was funny!

The weather was as good as one could hope for in Northeast Ohio in late December. We had a very nice time, thank you!

The wife drove it, she was in the bridal party and she got prime parking. We took two cars because she needed to go much earlier and I had work at home. I was a bit jealous, it would have been a nice 1 hour drive each way and I get stuck driving the Subie LOL.

Old 12-30-2019, 08:10 PM   #51

"Now, let's compare the estrogen hormone in an impossible whopper to the whopper made from hormone implanted beef. The impossible whopper has 44 mg of estrogen and the whopper has 2.5 ng of estrogen. Now let me refresh your metric system. There are 1 million nanograms (ng) in one milligram (mg). That means an impossible whopper has 18 million times as much estrogen as a regular whopper. Just six glasses of soy milk per day has enough estrogen to grow boobs on a male. That's the equivalent of eating four impossible whoppers per day. You would have to eat 880 pounds of beef from an implanted steer to equal the amount of estrogen in one birth control pill.

Yes that's right, an Impossible Burger is giving you enough estrogen to turn you into a woman. In fact, it's way above the oral dose of estradiol that they give to men undergoing hormone replacement therapy to become a woman (the normal dose is 2 to 6 mg per day).

https://www.vnsnychoice.org/sites/default/files/CHOICE%20Treatment%20of%20Gender-Dysphoric%20Persons%20Quick%20Reference%20Guide.pd f

I am firmly convinced that this is not a coincidence. The elites are trying to create a population of passive and compliant men who will do whatever they are told."

Ten years ago, Adam Carolla was spot on...

https://www.amazon.com/Fifty-Years-Well-All-Chicks/dp/B004ADRY5C/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1H9WW4F8B0ZSU&keywords=in+50+years+we%27ll+all+be+chicks&qid=1577768844&sprefix=in+50+ye%2Caps%2C1450&sr=8-1
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 07:18 AM   #52
Who's askin'?

Nobody on this thread is gonna mention the Texas church incident?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 07:41 AM   #53
NewUserName

MY $.02.
No loaded guns in public areas. Period. No open carry, no concealed carry.
Any gun carried in public must be unloaded, magazines empty.
On private property you can have your loaded gun.
If you are in an apartment, you can have a loaded gun in the apartment, but not take it into the hall loaded.
A property owner can declare their property a 'loaded guns okay' area or 'no guns - loaded or unloaded' area.
Public hunting grounds - you drive there with guns unloaded, load, hunt, reverse steps after hunting.

Of course it won't stop all shootings - I can't think of anything that would.
It would allow police to stop anyone carrying a gun and inspect it to ensure it is unloaded. Magazines unloaded would take time to load.

Think of any other civilized country where people can parade around with loaded guns...
We have become used to seeing guns among us - we shouldn't.

BTW - I was in Marines in 'Nam - most of my time I was under orders to wear a helmet and flak jacket and have a loaded weapon with me at all times - I don't want America to be like that, not fond memories...
DoninDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 09:36 AM   #54
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoninDel View Post

It would allow police to stop anyone carrying a gun and inspect it to ensure it is unloaded. Magazines unloaded would take time to load.
Reasonable comments. I disagree with most of it, but reasonable nonetheless.

I'd challenge the phrase above, though.
Can you think of EVEN ONE shooting this would've stopped? I'm unaware of ANY situation where a shooting has occurred and later we said "if only we'd stopped him when we saw him carrying that gun on the way there!". Or even more: "at least we could've checked that the bullets were in his pockets!"

One obvious thing that it seems we frequently miss in these conversations: it is already against the law to kill someone. It's already against the law in most states to even "brandish", except in self defense. I'm completely unaware of any situation where all laws were followed up to the point of the actual shooting. The truth is that the shooter has already broken many laws, long before he pulls that trigger. Why will more laws make a difference?

As I said in the first post of this thread: I'm in favor of "common sense laws". But common sense to me means something that will, in fact, demonstrably make an impact in the fight against senseless killings. I am decidedly NOT in favor of "feel good" laws, or knee- jerk "solutions".
Show me it'll work, I'm all for it.

Remember, these comments come from a non- enthusiast. I go to a range every 5 years or so, and the rest of the time the guns are in the closet. Im not a guy who thinks I'll someday need that gun to defend myself from a tyrannical government. I'm not a guy who thinks I'll need it for self defense. I have a large axe handle at each door for that. ;-) but I am a staunch defender of civil liberties.... and I think every internal-combustion-enthusiast would understand that. Because Al Gore and AOC would do away with our hobby in a hurry, given an opportunity.

Last edited by maytag; 12-31-2019 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-31-2019, 02:06 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Nobody on this thread is gonna mention the Texas church incident?

Old man was pretty cool under pressure with that pistol shot.

I like how they included the gunman as one of the fatalities. I mean I don't think gunmen are usually included with the victims. Maybe the press just wanted more of a shock effect??

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 04:20 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoninDel View Post
MY $.02.

On private property you can have your loaded gun.
Usually don't have to defend myself on my own property
If you are in an apartment, you can have a loaded gun in the apartment, but not take it into the hall loaded.
So because someone can't/don't want to own property they are not allowed to defend themselves
A property owner can declare their property a 'loaded guns okay' area or 'no guns - loaded or unloaded' area.
Agree 100%, property owners should be allowed to determine if you can/can't carry a weapon on the property. Then I can decide if I will/won't be on the property

So you want everyone other than the shooter to be disarmed.
So you are all for the police to stop a law abiding citizen just to check if they have a weapon and if so it's unloaded. Sounds like a police state to me. What other rights are you willing to give up to feel safer

BTW - I was in Marines in 'Nam - most of my time I was under orders to wear a helmet and flak jacket and have a loaded weapon with me at all times - I don't want America to be like that, not fond memories...
So you don't want to have a weapon to defend yourself.
BTW, US paratrooper. Desert Shield/Storm 1990/1991
OIF. 2002-2003
OIF 2005-2006
OIF. 2008-2009
OEF. 2010-2011
Glad I had a weapon/weapons with me the whole time, and glad I live in a state where I can still carry if wanted/needed

If you don't want to carry/don't feel you are responsible enough carry, That's fine. But don't take my right away to be able to defend my family/country if needed.
Old 12-31-2019, 09:44 PM   #57

I think most of you folks would have a shock coming to China. Zero weapons here, not only banned hard but absolutely no love or wish for them or anything that resemble or is engineered to terminate life for that same matter *total peace*.

The cops don't even have guns on them; responding officers, traffic police, the whole lot are gun-less. Does it make it more dangerous or risky? Absolutely not, safest country you can be in to be honest, anywhere, 24/7, public places, around the clock, anywhere really.

Do China have armed swat teams and special ops? of course they do, although deployed once or twice per year and probably just for training & show-off (e.g. during a major event, parade, terrorism prevention, etc).

ps: a rare incident happened only a few weeks ago where an 57 y/old chap was waving a long knife in public, he did not comply, tried to ran and they had no choice to shoot him in a leg with a rubber bullet. That news made country-wide 'major' shame on the police force for doing so, the 'boo hoo' was everywhere. Not sure they will ever attempt something like this ever again, it went really wrong for cops lol

Anyway... thought I'd share how this guns and personal security thing pans out in another place of the world
Old 01-01-2020, 04:26 AM   #58
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
I think most of you folks would have a shock coming to China. Zero weapons here, not only banned hard but absolutely no love or wish for them or anything that resemble or is engineered to terminate life for that same matter *total peace*.

The cops don't even have guns on them; responding officers, traffic police, the whole lot are gun-less. Does it make it more dangerous or risky? Absolutely not, safest country you can be in to be honest, anywhere, 24/7, public places, around the clock, anywhere really.

Do China have armed swat teams and special ops? of course they do, although deployed once or twice per year and probably just for training & show-off (e.g. during a major event, parade, terrorism prevention, etc).

ps: a rare incident happened only a few weeks ago where an 57 y/old chap was waving a long knife in public, he did not comply, tried to ran and they had no choice to shoot him in a leg with a rubber bullet. That news made country-wide 'major' shame on the police force for doing so, the 'boo hoo' was everywhere. Not sure they will ever attempt something like this ever again, it went really wrong for cops lol

Anyway... thought I'd share how this guns and personal security thing pans out in another place of the world
LOL, China. That's where I'm going when the doc gives me however many months to live. If it isn't an escalator or elevator that eats me likely I'll get run over by an idiot... smashed by a cement truck taking a corner too fast... or crushed by a building facade that falls off.

Yeah... no guns... but **************** do they like to kill with swords, knives, and machetes. Pffffft.

Welcome back.

And SMK and Maytag: You fellas are right on point. It's called the RIGHT to bear arms... not the privelege.

SMK... thank you so very much for your service, Sir.

The rest of you: Happy New Year.
Old 01-01-2020, 04:29 AM   #59

Quote:

I'll agree that the REPORTED homicide numbers for china are low per million( because we know china is 100% truthful). But you are incorrect that the are no weapons in china. It is estimated that there are over 49,735,000 weapons in china. Also china has the 2nd largest possession of small arms for the govt.

So, we should be like china, give up our civil rights to be peasants for the country. Because china is such a supporter of civil rights ( as long as you think and do exactly like the govt tells you to.) You volunteerly gave up your rights in Canada, how's that working for you. and, china 's numbers for Murdered citizens is higher than the US. It is lower when you figure per million people, BUT still don't know how much safer it is when 13,410 murders happen a year.
Old 01-01-2020, 05:00 AM   #60
Who's askin'?

Quote:

Do you wonder, (i do) if China would have a better record vis-a-vis human rights violations, if their citizenry were armed? I'm sorry, but generally speaking, China is a bad example to emulate for something like this.

But I think there's still soone meat on that bone that we can gnaw on.
I think there's a culture problem in America, too. In the last 50 years or so, we've gone from a country where most of the pickup trucks in the high school parking lot carried a loaded shotgun in the rack, yet there were very few incidents, to a country where guns are prohibited nearly everywhere, and we have shootings daily. Again..... it seems to be a culture problem, not a gun problem.

But let's look further into the china comparison. Let's say it was determined that we are going to "hard ban" guns, as you described? Picture that for a moment. You're going to need a method of gathering them all up. And where will they start? Of course: the law-abiding folks. The "bad guys" will become more brazen, because they'll recognize they're the only ones still armed. But we'll spend a fortune prosecuting as criminals, those citizens who decide to lie and keep a gun for protection. We criminalize the good guys, then. But worse? We start a revolution. Because trust me when I tell you that most of the mid-west and the other red states will say "come pry this gun from my cold dead fingers".
I can think of another country that went around and collected their citizens guns..... that whole thing ended in concentration camps.
I'm sorry, for better or worse, guns are here to stay in America.

That doesn't mean we can't find meaningful ways to regulate them. But that's swatting at the leaves: we need to cut down the problem at the trunk.

As Americans, we must ask ourselves: what is different in society from 50 or 75 years ago, when shootings almost never happened? This is a conversation that'll very quickly become inflamed and personal. But nothing good is ever easy. Let's start at the very basic unit of American society: the family. What is different now than it was then? How about at school?

I think we can learn some things we probably don't really want to know.... but must. If we're just willing to ask the hard questions and answer them honestly.

But asking today's Americans to "dig deep", to be honest with themselves even if it hurts, to actually look at truth, instead of "my truth, your truth", yeaaaahhhh........ not gonna happen either.

We're on a train that's run out of tracks. It's only a matter of time before it crashes catastrophically.