Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2019, 10:11 AM   #1

New member intro and a few ?s ..

As an introduction to the forum ..

I am 71 and have been an avid car enthusiast all of my life, growing up in Detroit and having worked for Ford Motor Company for 20 years.**** I have been lucky enough to have owned several classic Mustangs, 3 Corvettes including a '72 454, a 67 Alpha and a Fiat 124 and have driven McLaren Mustangs, Shelby Mustangs and a '64 Shelby Cobra.**** For the past 25 years my driving has been rather a mundane split between a jeep and a 2007 Ford Escape Hybrid.

I am currently going thru some intense theropy for PTSD (Vietnam) and have decided to 'live' once more and want to buy Porsche Boxster and recapture the thrill and enjoyment of driving.

I have been researching for the past several months (including test driving) and am approaching actual purchase time.

I have a few questions I'd like to throw out to the forum to help point me in my final search.

Reliability IS an issue as although it will be a 2nd car, I plan on taking several extended road trips to include even California to the East Coast and back.

I started off looking at ~2000 986s and quickly found I preferred the S (3.2 litre) model (I am old - not dead).**** It seems to me that cost (including purchase price plus required repairs/upgrades including IMS) is roughly $15K depending upon miles.

I then drove a 2008 rs60 spyder for a couple of hours - what a beast! I would never have thought of buying anything but a manual .. but .. and the PASM and the Sport Exhaust were thrilling ... and I felt the car was abit (perhaps more than abit) too much for what I could handle at my now reduced reflexes and reactions. So I drove a 2010 2.9 litre with PDK .. and it has the overhead airbag ..

and now after some extensive research it seems if I look hard enough low $20K can fetch one although I probably will have to go out of California to get one - question is will it pass CA smog?

Two last comments. I do really want to try my hand at autocross .. just for fun. And as I am on a fixed income, I don't have money to just throw at this.

So that is where I find myself today ..****

only to add that I do live in San Francisco with no garage so it will have to be parked on the street - possible solutions a hard top and/or alarmed car cover.

Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jreissenweber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:50 AM   #2

Welcome and good luck!

I've got an S for sale, but its pretty far away from the SF area!
alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alm001 View Post
Welcome and good luck!

I've got an S for sale, but its pretty far away from the SF area!
alm001

thanks ..

I saw yours .. looks very sweet .. and feel sure it would be a thrilling cross country ride ..

unfortunately I believe it will be 3-6 weeks before I do my due diligence and get $in a position to pull the trigger and don't think yours will last that long .. but I have it bookmarked just in case!

Old 07-24-2019, 12:01 PM   #4

Garage
jreissenweber1 Thank you for your service to our great country!

I have a 2000 'S' & love it, I have driven it from Oregon to So.CA, Monterey to So.CA via Hwy1, and So.CA to Louisiana & back, including 12 hrs straight from Dallas to So.CA. I was in my mid 40's then but if the seat fits you well they are very comfortable. I Have driven with the sport seats & they are noticeably more supportive & comfortable. The same goes for 987 & newer Boxsters.

Under the rear decklid there should be a emissions compliance sticker that shows what level of smog equipment is installed. I would guess at least 75% are CA compliant. 5% of Porsche cars ever sold were sold in CA. Given your usage goals I would buy the best one you can find & have a very through PPI done by the best Porsche mechanic you can find near the car & have the oil & filter changed during it. $20K should get you a great 986 S. Auto crossing in the future is no big deal as long as you are just there to have fun.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
jreissenweber1 Thank you for your service to our great country!

Given your usage goals I would buy the best one you can find & have a very through PPI done by the best Porsche mechanic you can find near the car & have the oil & filter changed during it. $20K should get you a great 986 S. Auto crossing in the future is no big deal as long as you are just there to have fun.
Pro driver ..

First off .. thank you (especially after 50 years .. heartwarming and almost a 1st)

PPI by the best near the car .. has been something I've learned over the past few months .. noted .. but again a ? if I may ..
anything special I should request? .. ie overrev's

20K is my target figure .. including any repairs/replacement items (suspension/tires etc.) so on that we agree as well ..

now for me the big question ..

would I be better off looking at a 2009/2010 ..
2.9 liter .. newer .. no IMS problem .. potentially more reliable ..

I have seen quite a few available at that price range (drove one with a PDK last week 60K miles asking $21.5) .. not overly equipped but ..
trading a few of my desired options for newer car/reliability .. ???

the driving thrill there .. she'd be well taken care of .. and used .. even if not a redhead .. or very noisy ..

Old 07-26-2019, 01:49 PM   #6

Garage
Well the driving feel starts to fade after 2002 but comfort gets better & $20K will get you the best of the 986 S available. You really have to drive all the generations & see which you prefer. I don't follow the 987 up values but I have driven one & a 2015 model. They are more capable & comfortable but less fun to me, however on a long trip that may be more enjoyable.
Old 07-26-2019, 06:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Well the driving feel starts to fade after 2002 but comfort gets better & $20K will get you the best of the 986 S available. You really have to drive all the generations & see which you prefer. I don't follow the 987 up values but I have driven one & a 2015 model. They are more capable & comfortable but less fun to me, however on a long trip that may be more enjoyable.
BYprodriver ..
I believe you just summarized it quite well ..
over the past few months .. not only have I immersed myself in reading .. but have also looked at probably 40 or so boxsters and driven 14 .. some for 20-30 minutes .. a few for a couple of hours .. the most pure fun were a 2000 and a 2002 ..
I've come to the following choices -
a) .. 2000 - 2002 S manual .. ~heart~ .. pros .. adore the looks of the 986 .. can do some mods to effect sound and handling (if need be) .. most pure fun to drive .. responsive and great feedback .. such a thrill to just ... drive and corner and ... ... cons - in the back of my head .. ims & reliability ..
b) .. 2009 -10 2.9 l with PDK .. ~head~ .. pros .. more reliable .. enough punch to satisfy .. more comfortable .. cons .. more $ initially
c) .. 1998 - 1999 2.5 manual .. ~emotional~ .. pros .. there that one particular 'color' .. my wife of 15 years .. who has stayed with me now as my PTSD has gotten .. well let's just say dark .. grew up driving her dad's 911 (had to strap a block to pedals for her to reach) .. and is extremely color cognizant (was an interior designer) .. and that color just warms her (very rare and only on 98 & 99) ..
my next two weeks are filled with some intense theropy and chemical treatment (VA test study) so I'll have to leave it here ..
planning on doing just as you suggest mid- August .. drive each of the 3 (#3 without the color) .. and make my choice ..

thanks for the feedback ..
much more to experience ..
and so it goes .. ..

Old 07-27-2019, 09:43 PM   #8

Quote:
BYprodriver ..
I do believe you put into words what I was trying to somehow convey .. about that driving ~feeling~ .. at least for me as well that special something peaks at 2002 .. as well as the character of the auto .. and an emotional attachment ..
over the past 6 months .. I've looked at close to 35 different boxsters and driven 13 .. unfortunately in no particular order .. and for periods of 20 minutes to 2 hours. I've also spent countless hours reading .. forums and reviews .. as well as 'for sale's' nation wide ..
I believe I have narrowed down my search to ..
a) 2000 - 2002 S manual hardtop .. ~heart~ .. pros - driving feeling .. modifiable .. and I do really love the 986 body lines .. cons - ims and IDing past maintenance and present mechanical status .. and $ to add reliability .. est cost $12 - 15K plus upgrades (tires .. brakes etc)
b) 2009/2010 PDK .. ~head~ .. pros - buy and drive .. reliability .. more comfort for road trips .. less worry about mechanical failure .. cons - initial cost (low asking price 20 - 24K) ..
c) 1998/99 2.5 manual .. ~emotional~ .. there's this one particular ~color~ .. my wife of 15 years now (who has put up with .. well let's say my darkness) .. has an eye for color .. she learned to drive her dad's 911 .. and if I find one available .. would probably be ~it~ .. for emotional (not monitary) reasons ..

so there is where I am at this moment .. my next 2 weeks are filled with several intense theropy sessions and then some chemical treatment (VA approved clinical test study) ..

when that is thru .. I intend to again test drive the 3 .. and make my selection ..

thanks to you .. and all .. for your words ..
hopefully soon I can have a few more last minute questions before I .. decide ..

Last edited by jreissenweber1; 07-28-2019 at 06:53 AM.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:07 AM   #9

Garage
Best of luck on your journey & thank you so much for your service. I went off to Parris Island for the summer of '78 after joining the reserves just to learn mechanics. I'm sure your contributions far out weigh mine. When I am in a large crowd & veterans are asked to stand to be recognized I often don't due to the huge disparity of our service. My dad was the guy that spotted the 1st missile site being built in Cuba in Oct. 1962. For this he was sent to Alaska in 1966 instead of Vietnam, I am grateful for this.
Best of luck with your new treatment & be careful with "chemical studies"

"All gave some, some gave all"
Old 07-28-2019, 08:53 PM   #10

Here are a few things to consider

Best choice: low mileage car, less wear on everything; pristine condition; IMS replaced. If original IMS and you plan on keeping the car for many years, go with IMS Solution. This will cost 3-4K

Regardless, get a comprehensive PPI because only then will you know what mechanical shape the car is in and what you’ll need to fix

These cars are expensive to maintain: Porsche parts are really expensive and labor rates are high. If you’re a great wrench turner, this will help lower the cost of keeping the car up. BTW you don’t need Porsche parts, just the equivalent parts from an OEM supplier to Porsche.

Best of luck
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 05:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Best of luck on your journey & thank you so much for your service. I went off to Parris Island for the summer of '78 after joining the reserves just to learn mechanics. I'm sure your contributions far out weigh mine. When I am in a large crowd & veterans are asked to stand to be recognized I often don't due to the huge disparity of our service. My dad was the guy that spotted the 1st missile site being built in Cuba in Oct. 1962. For this he was sent to Alaska in 1966 instead of Vietnam, I am grateful for this.

Best of luck with your new treatment & be careful with "chemical studies"

"All gave some, some gave all"
BYprodriver

I need to comment ..
there is no judgement on .. value of service ..
you served .. and deserve to be recognized ..
especially by ~yourself~ .. so stand proudly please!

and we all owe your dad a debt .. I lived thru those days .. and am grateful he was sent to Alaska (flying U-2's out of there wasn't a piece of cake as you well know) ..

as for the chem studies .. 1 down and 2 to go ..

Boxster comes after all is done .. end of September ..

btw .. I was almost a marine .. when drafted we stood in line and counted off odd/even ..
odd balls went to the army ..

Old 08-02-2019, 05:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom4782 View Post
Here are a few things to consider

Best choice: low mileage car, less wear on everything; pristine condition; IMS replaced. If original IMS and you plan on keeping the car for many years, go with IMS Solution. This will cost 3-4K

Regardless, get a comprehensive PPI because only then will you know what mechanical shape the car is in and what you’ll need to fix

These cars are expensive to maintain: Porsche parts are really expensive and labor rates are high. If you’re a great wrench turner, this will help lower the cost of keeping the car up. BTW you don’t need Porsche parts, just the equivalent parts from an OEM supplier to Porsche.

Best of luck
thom4782

thank you .. this is where I am at at this time .. after all my investigations. Outer limit 50K .. hopefully around 35K .. pay a premium yes but less cost in the long run .. I'm planning on driving her until I .. well can't anymore
As for the PPI .. I read somewhere that the leak down and compression tests were invasive ..
??? . should I include horoscope as well? how about pulling the oil filter (ok replacing and cutting open .. even if it has been changed supposedly) ..

Old 09-06-2019, 04:50 PM   #13

It's been awhile and much has happened/progressed ..

1st and foremost, I've had my 2nd (of 3) chemical treatments for PTSD .. and all I can say is .. AMAZING**** .. a life changer ..

IF any of you are a vet battling with it .. or know of a loved one/ good friend who is .. my PM is open .. please**** ..

I sincerely wish to thank all who have responded to this thread (and so many more who have merely contributed to the discussions here that I have read) ..

two take-aways were key for me ..

1) focus on exactly the model and ALL the options you want****

2) no hurry**** .. THE car will find ~you~

so part of my daily routine was reviewing new**** boxster nationwide price/mileage/options .. over time questioning just how important each option was .. aware I was in the driver's seat and ready to wait .. patiently****

and then ~this~ appeared on local craigslist ..

'98 .. one owner .. 5 speed manual .. 70 K miles .. well maintained and that ocean jade metallic**** .. I just had to see it 'in the flesh' .. a 15 minute 'spin' turned into an hour and a half with top down and .. I was captivated ..

sad to say I ultimately passed .. benign neglect verified by the PPI .. but I did learn that it IS a '98/'99 I want .. and every last option I can find ..

the search continues .. next up a zenith blue this weekend ..

Old 09-07-2019, 10:27 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jreissenweber1 View Post
It's been awhile and much has happened/progressed ..

1st and foremost, I've had my 2nd (of 3) chemical treatments for PTSD .. and all I can say is .. AMAZING**** .. a life changer ..

IF any of you are a vet battling with it .. or know of a loved one/ good friend who is .. my PM is open .. please**** ..

I sincerely wish to thank all who have responded to this thread (and so many more who have merely contributed to the discussions here that I have read) ..

two take-aways were key for me ..

1) focus on exactly the model and ALL the options you want****

2) no hurry**** .. THE car will find ~you~

so part of my daily routine was reviewing new**** boxster nationwide price/mileage/options .. over time questioning just how important each option was .. aware I was in the driver's seat and ready to wait .. patiently****

and then ~this~ appeared on local craigslist ..

'98 .. one owner .. 5 speed manual .. 70 K miles .. well maintained and that ocean jade metallic**** .. I just had to see it 'in the flesh' .. a 15 minute 'spin' turned into an hour and a half with top down and .. I was captivated ..

sad to say I ultimately passed .. benign neglect verified by the PPI .. but I did learn that it IS a '98/'99 I want .. and every last option I can find ..

the search continues .. next up a zenith blue this weekend ..

Glad to here the chemical treatments help, maybe that would help my new Step Dad.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:53 AM   #15

so ...

I know it's all a trade-off .. mileage/maintenance/options/price ..

I have 2 '98/'99s on my radar

a) very basic model - 30K (zenith blue metallic)
asking $11k
b) rather well equipped (full traction control, sport technic package which I believe includes sport suspension) - 80K (guards red) asking $7K

neither has heated seats (which I will have to retrofit .. say between $1 and $2K depending on how) ..

assuming both in good mechanical condition .. anyone wish to help evaluate so I can learn?

Old 09-07-2019, 03:56 PM   #16

A couple of things... first, although I'm only 10 years younger than you my Dad was in Vietnam twice. You guys got the short end of the stick in terms of being recognized for serving. So, thanks.

Second, a '98 or '99 is a great choice. I particularly think the '99s are a sweet spot. 2.5L got sorted and the IMS is dual row and as unlikely to fail as any of the possible replacements. I hope you find a well cared for example. Records more important than mileage, but lowish miles are, of course, a plus.
Allegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 03:58 PM   #17
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreissenweber1 View Post
so ...

I know it's all a trade-off .. mileage/maintenance/options/price ..

I have 2 '98/'99s on my radar

a) very basic model - 30K (zenith blue metallic)
asking $11k
b) rather well equipped (full traction control, sport technic package which I believe includes sport suspension) - 80K (guards red) asking $7K

neither has heated seats (which I will have to retrofit .. say between $1 and $2K depending on how) ..

assuming both in good mechanical condition .. anyone wish to help evaluate so I can learn?

B. All day long, b.

You don't want any of the headaches that come with a 30k mile, 20 yr old Porsche.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 04:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
B. All day long, b.

You don't want any of the headaches that come with a 30k mile, 20 yr old Porsche.

Not sure I agree. My '02S had 24k miles on it when I bought it last year. I had all the fluids changed, replaced the rear axles and boots, and the AOS and it has been running like a top. Now at 28K. All in I'm still at less than $15k.
Allegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 04:50 PM   #19
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegro View Post
Not sure I agree. My '02S had 24k miles on it when I bought it last year. I had all the fluids changed, replaced the rear axles and boots, and the AOS and it has been running like a top. Now at 28K. All in I'm still at less than $15k.
Well of course ymmv. But conventional wisdom suggests that a Porsche of that age, with such few miles, is likely going to have many more issues. With IMS being right at the top of the list. Then rubber hoses after that.

maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:15 AM   #20

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
B. All day long, b.

I would prefer to spend money on mechanical things to restore or possibly improve condition.

Cosmetically it's hard to improve original condition which most low mileage cars excel at