Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2015, 03:22 PM   #1

Deciding Between 986 and BRZ..maybe Miata

I have not yet been able to test drive the 986 Boxster as I've yet to find a good local candidate. While I continue my search I figure it'd be great if I could get some feedback from the community.

I have however recently taken a BRZ out for a drive and loved it. Mainly what I'm after is a car with great communication. A go-kart like feel to it. I love the fact that you can feel the suspension working and the tires underneath you in the BRZ. The steering isn't bad either for an electric rack. Badges and power is a non-factor for me.

I worry in the Boxster that some of this communication is muted to some degree in the name of luxury. Is this the case?

However, if the Boxster can offer the same feel it might be the better buy as I would be able to grab one without a loan. I'd need a small loan for the BRZ or 2016 Miata. Anyone with experience in all three?

thanks.

JayA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:03 PM   #2

A Boxster does NOT sacrifice communication and handling for luxury. It's a sports car. Find a well maintained Boxster and see for yourself. If you get the chance to drive an S the Miata and BRZ are going to feel slow. Good luck.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:07 PM   #3

Of the three, the Boxster is the only true sportscar. Mid engine makes handling fantastic, it has a good weight to it and lots of pure, raw power. As much as you say power is a non-factor....it's always a factor when push comes to shove.
The Boxster will cost you more both to buy and maintain. It will also put the biggest smile on your face as compared to the other two.
It's almost impossible to directly compare anything Japanese to a true German sportscar. The Badge does mean something.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:28 PM   #4

I looked at the BRZ before buying my 2000 Boxster S. I loved the look of the BRZ and the handling was good but it was way underpowered in my opinion. I picked up a low mile Boxster for a fraction of the cost and I am very satisfied.
hahnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:31 PM   #5

I am a week and a half in to my 2000 S ownership. I've owned a NA Miata, driven a NC multiple times, had a MR2 Spyder that I swapped a 2zz motor into, and now the 986S. In terms of pure handling, I'd rate them 986s > MR2 Spyder > NA Miata > NC Miata. Thats not to say the NC Miata is awful, its still miles about 99% of cars out there.

The Boxsters a heavier car than the other three and you can feel it, but with the wider tires its planted. Definitely a sports car, but luxury wise it has a much nicer interior than the other three.

I really loved the 2zz MR2, loved the mid engine. Sold it as it was my daily driver and with two seats didn't fit the (soon to be at the time) family. Now that we've settled into family life and my interest came back to roadsters, I was between the NB Mazdaspeed, 986s, and another 2zz swapped MR2. Feel I made the right decision!
DMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:46 PM   #6
On the slippery slope

Garage
Porsche, There is no substitute
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:31 PM   #7

A couple years ago, while car shopping with a friend, I got to test drive both a base Boxster 986 and Scion FRS back to back. I was so surprised at how similar the driving characteristics were between the 2 even though 1 was a front engine RWD and the other a mid engine RWD. Now the differences(for me at least), the Boxster has a bit more torque and a little more solid ride. The FRS is by no means bad but to me felt like tin metal on wheels like a lot of Japanese sport coupes. The 1 thing I like about the FRS is that I felt more stable in the seat due to its side bolsters. To me, my biggest turnoff about the Boxster is the lack of support you have from the seats, unless you have the optional sport seats.

In the end, 2 years from that day that I got a chance to drive both, I have a Box 986 in my garage and couldn't be any happier. Not to mention girls go crraazzy for rides in a convertible "Porsche" over a Toyota unless you happen to know the Barton twins and have a
1000+ hp Supra.lol

Top_Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:31 AM   #8

Garage
No one here is going to tell you to get the Miata or BRZ. I drove a Miata as a daily driver and I loved it. The Boxster is a quantum leap ahead of the Miata. Really.

2002 Boxster Seal Gray Metallic: Desnorkled, Changed ashtray to non-smoker's bin, Removed stickers from sunvisors, Added rear speakers, LED Shifter, Porsche logo on trunk lid, New top with heated glass window, Aspheric Driver's Side Mirror Upgrade, More to come...
randy7601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:41 AM   #9

Garage
I own a 450 HP Vette and once I bought my Boxster I hardly drive the Vette anymore...The Porsche handles way better and is just a great drivers car...once you drive one not much compares...jmho...
Hummer-addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:09 AM   #10

Garage
Unfortunately I don't have a lot of comparison cars to drive
Drove a 914 a million years ago. Had an 02 mustang Gt up to 2009

The Boxster has road feel, I feel every thing through the steering wheel. It goes where I point it with non of that vague feeling that some cars have especially the newer Electric power assist. I do have a new car with electric power assist and I'm not liking it

The Bosxter's steering feed back and pointing give you so much confidence. It's nice to be able to avoid pot hole and such dancing on the edge of the road to the right.

Now I do suggest that there could be some vague steering input if the Boxster's suspension components are worn.
I just replaced my front lower control arms, Inner & out tie rods, drop links and sway bar bushings. It was good before but it is even better now

You really do need to try one to get a full appreciation of that sensation and confidence
Old 06-12-2015, 08:32 AM   #11

Garage
few weeks ago a the PCA LPR AX at Marina Airport, a BRZ and an FRS were both there and owned the boxsters like little girls...i was pretty surprised!
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Porsche, There is no substitute
Thank you.

If you don't believe this, go away.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlirium View Post
few weeks ago a the PCA LPR AX at Marina Airport, a BRZ and an FRS were both there and owned the boxsters like little girls...i was pretty surprised!
I seen similar but a lot of it came down to driver skill and car set up. I've seen Miatas and older Covettes own AX events but generally when you get the same skill level driver in similar set up cars the Boxster is quicker. In the end they are all awesome handling cars in the right hands. For me what kills it with the FRS/BRZ and Miata is lack of straight line speed. In daily driving both offer moderate straight line speed without beating on them. The average pickup truck is quicker off the line. For track/HPE days they both get walked by most cars.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 12:19 PM   #14
Run

I cant compare to the other two cars mentioned but I can compare a 986 Boxster to a 987 Cayman. The difference in these two cars quite striking. Honestly I would go with a 987 Boxster over the 986 version. I have a 03 and its a great car but it just doesn't have the same feel as the 987 Cayman. Test drive a 986 then a 987 Boxster and I think you will forget the others. As others have said Porsche, There is no substitute!
Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 12:40 PM   #15

If the badge truly means nothing to you then you should probably move on. These are elite vehicles for a higher class of driver. If you are having trouble deciding between a Porsche and anything else, you'll probably be happier in the Japanese machines.
CHRISP357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 05:59 AM   #16

So many threads...

I've had an NA Miata, a '77 Triumph Spitfire, a few E30's, a '95 BMW 540/6 (not mine but I drove it for six months) and I still have my E46 330Ci. The Boxster is by far and away my favorite car that I have ever owned.

Myself and another member of this forum like to muse that what makes the Boxster so special is that it is a pure sports car but it also has an element of romanticism to it. Vehicle dynamics are of course important, but damn if I don't enjoy a sunny day, telling my girlfriend to put on a nice dress, packing a picnic, putting the top down, and taking a nice country drive out of one of the many great wineries we have in Virginia. The Boxster is a perfect car for this, in my opinion. At least for my tastes, the Toyobaru would not inspire me as much as the Boxster to go out and do such things. Also, convertibles are great because you can smoke cigars with the top down and not have your interior smell like Winston Churchill when you're done.

Also with the Boxster you get access the PCA and the many great people and events that come with the ownership of a P-Car.

It all depends on what you want man...

ReallyDirtyThirty is offline   Reply With Quote