Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2017, 05:01 PM   #1

Garage
Thinking of investing in a Quickjack.

I've been considering purchasing one of these units. Any other owners out there? I would love to hear your experiences with this lift (good and/or bad). Are the easy to use? Do they provide a sturdy base for working on the car?

Old 03-09-2017, 06:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eicheldp View Post
I've been considering purchasing one of these units. Any other owners out there? I would love to hear your experiences with this lift (good and/or bad). Are the easy to use? Do they provide a sturdy base for working on the car?
I just ordered a Quickjack 7000 w/SUV lift kit based on seeing my 2004 PO's Quickjack 5000 and his positive assessment.

I've been crawling around under cars since the 60s and the QJ looks like just the right tool for me for use on my concrete garage floor. No personal experience yet. Mine will be in late next week. I plan to initially use it for summer/winter tire changes on our s5 cab and Explorer Sport (hence the 7000 vs 5000). If the stability proves ok, I'll move on to under car stuff like oil changes and fixing our 986's loose cat heat shield, etc.

Initially I'll use some backup jack stands until I assess the QJ's overall stability. As always, YMMV so be prudent and be safe. I'll post an update as soon as I have some practical experience.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 04:29 AM   #3

I had a friend who had one that is similar but uses a drill to raise and lower it. He loved it at first but eventually bought a two post lift. It's nice to have and better than using jacks and jack stands, but I'd suggest you spend just a little more money and buy a 2 or 4 post lift if you have the space in your garage. I bought my barely used 4 post off CL for $1600.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:23 AM   #4

I also have considered buying a garage lift. However I don't have room for a two post. The two I have been looking at are quick jack and ez car lift. The ez car lift is a bit more $$ but seems to be the better overall solution, raises the car a little higher, no hydraulics, simpler use (just use a drill), etc.... I haven't bought either yet but certainly interested in some other opinions. I have been leaning towards the ez car jack.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:36 AM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

I spent months looking at all of the options and came to this conclusion: If you have the room, a four or two post lift is a much better solution and only a little bit more money. If you're space constrained then a unit like this is a great way to go. I had the room, so I have a four-post lift.

The only other comment I'll make is that people tend to get lazier over time, so the easier it is to set up and use, the more often it will get used.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 05:59 AM   #6

I've seen people who use lifts to park another car under it,
Is it safe to leave a car suspended on a lift for months on end?
my15window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 06:56 AM   #7
Project Addicted

I have a MaxJax and LOVE it. Easy to install, removable and good for all we do on our cars. I now have the room to have a full height lift but don't see the need.

Another option is to look on CL for a scissor lift. These can be bought used for 500-700$ in my area. If you get the right one, it will have little interference with engine removal. I assume you probably want it for regular service work and not engine removals.
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:33 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
I'd suggest you spend just a little more money and buy a 2 or 4 post lift if you have the space in your garage. I bought my barely used 4 post off CL for $1600.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
I spent months looking at all of the options and came to this conclusion: If you have the room, a four or two post lift is a much better solution and only a little bit more money. If you're space constrained then a unit like this is a great way to go. I had the room, so I have a four-post lift.

Thanks Woody and Thstone, I would love to go the route of a 2 or 4 post lift but I don't have the clearance overhead in my garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcslocum View Post
I have a MaxJax and LOVE it. Easy to install, removable and good for all we do on our cars. I now have the room to have a full height lift but don't see the need.
I wasn't aware of the MaxJax and will have to do some measurements in the garage. This may be a viable option. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarguy View Post
I just ordered a Quickjack 7000 w/SUV lift kit based on seeing my 2004 PO's Quickjack 5000 and his positive assessment. I'll post an update as soon as I have some practical experience.
I look forward to hearing your assessment. I' also have been working on cars as long as you have and it's getting harder and harder to get up off the concrete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myoung73 View Post
The two I have been looking at are quick jack and ez car lift. ... I have been leaning towards the ez car jack.
I will have to research this item, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Thank all, I appreciate your input.
Don
Old 03-10-2017, 08:36 AM   #9

+1 on the Maxjax lift!
RodJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:01 AM   #10

I've been looking into this BendPak MDS-6K 6,000 Lb. Capacity, Open Center, Mid-Rise Car Lift | Canada's Exclusive Authorized Dealer for flush mount. I would space wide enough to drop the engine. Disappears when not in use.
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 02:24 PM   #11

Garage
I've been looking at lifts for a while myself, and almost got my father sold on going half - half with me on the Maxjax. Portable is what's the selling point so far. Anything I should know about this product from the one's who has already been using this? Thanks in advance!

Randy
2000 Boxster S, SPEC stage 1 clutch, Fabspeed sport headers, Fabspeed secondary cat deletes, Billy&Boat muffler, EVOM air intake, Ben006's Custom Short Shifter, Pedro's TechnoBrace, Eibach rear sway bar, De-snorkeled, Fred's custom projector HL
Dubaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 03:42 PM   #12

I have had a Maxjax since last August (about 7 months now). I am very happy with it. So far I have used it only on my MY98 Boxster. You should insure that your concrete floor has a minimum of 4 inch thickness where you want to mount them. I had exactly 4 inches for a couple of the anchors and about 4.5 inches in the rest. I used anchoring epoxy as well for the drop-in anchors and I haven't detected movement of any of the anchors so far. I did have a problem with one jack that sprung a leak in December, but Maxjax sent me an entire new cylinder to replace it. Very impressed with the customer service! At it's highest setting the bottom of the car sits at 46 inches above the floor, so there is no walking around underneath, so I got one of those shop roll around stools (Big Red) and use it without the pneumatic cylinder and scoot around underneath with no problem.
RodJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 06:39 PM   #13
Project Addicted

No issues with the MaxJax after I guess 5 years and lots of lifts. Used on many different cars from '67. Mini to A6 wagon. Never an issue with the concrete or fear it having an issue. We just moved and I installed it into a floor that is didn't know. As a precaution I used anchor expoy on the anchors. You will need 1 tube to do a good job. Follow directions and you are golden.
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
Old 03-10-2017, 06:57 PM   #14

It's a good thing these cars aren't that tall
Old 03-16-2017, 04:58 AM   #15

Garage
Thank you RodJ and jcslocum, the maxjax has been purchased !

Exited to install and put it to use
2000 Boxster S, SPEC stage 1 clutch, Fabspeed sport headers, Fabspeed secondary cat deletes, Billy&Boat muffler, EVOM air intake, Ben006's Custom Short Shifter, Pedro's TechnoBrace, Eibach rear sway bar, De-snorkeled, Fred's custom projector HL
Dubaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:09 AM   #16
Project Addicted

Good for you!!!
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
Old 03-16-2017, 08:04 AM   #17
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubaday View Post
Thank you RodJ and jcslocum, the maxjax has been purchased !

Exited to install and put it to use
Congrat's! I'm sure that you'll enjoy using it. It should be a big upgrade from jack stands!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:24 AM   #18

has any one thought about or built a pit?
just wondering, i am going one way or the other 2 post / scissor /pit.

my garage is small and i don't want posts in the way max jack

my ceiling is low and i will not have to set up a sunk in floor scissor lift.

pit is cheapest by far but i have never worked in one.
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmac View Post
has any one thought about or built a pit?
just wondering, i am going one way or the other 2 post / scissor /pit.

my garage is small and i don't want posts in the way max jack

my ceiling is low and i will not have to set up a sunk in floor scissor lift.

pit is cheapest by far but i have never worked in one.
Check your municipal rules as I believe they've been outlawed. From the garage journal...
"Most local councils have banned them due to people having been asphyxiated by oxygen depleting gases that collect in them(Like CO from exhausts)and explosions caused by vapours.
Places that work on heavy equipment generally still have them but most now have forced ventilation."
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:47 PM   #20

i don't spend a lot of time worrying about rules and regulations.
(they still exist and are in service in some places)

i have spent 20 plus years working with automotive fumes, gases , and dangers.
i just have never worked in a pit and am wondering how they would work in regards to boxsters.if i had to pull?drop a motor?

madmac is offline   Reply With Quote