Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2017, 05:59 AM   #81
I am No. 1348

Garage
Damn that looks freakin amazing. I would kill to have that functionality in my box.

The second photo of all your components lit in your car is just awesome! Gosh Darn!

Old 06-24-2017, 06:13 AM   #82

Very cool!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
2003 Boxster S, Seal Grey
Traco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:08 AM   #83

if you are looking to grab temp and pressure info, here is what i know. neither is available via obd.

temp info is available via the oil level sensor in the sump, however the signal is proprietary and has to be converted - here is how to do it ...

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/827720-oil-temp-gauge-using-the-built-in-oil-temp-sensor.html

durametric is able to grab temp data at the diagnostic port so should be easy to get, or you can mount a vdo sender in the head in a spare port under the airbox and run a wire.

for pressure, as steve says, the boxster has a vdo pressure 'switch' to trigger the idiot light. if you want analog pressure info, you have to replace the switch with a sender (located in the head in a port front right); you can use a vdo sender or the oem porsche unit used on the 996 (same diff). another solution is this ...

Smarter Idiot light

regardless, i think it requires running new wiring, as porsche 996 schems show pressure sender wiring as a discrete wire and 996/boxster engine harnesses are fundamentally different so do not anticipate the spare wire being available. will also have to interface w your unit in some manner; jk notes the plx interfaces, or perhaps consider something proprietary for just your unit - presume you will build a harness to plug your unit into the diagnostic port; leave a spare connector for those that want to install a vdo pressure sender and run the wire forward.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 11:25 AM   #84

wondering if a cooperative project w durametic is possible? ie, instead of reinventing the wheel, use the durametric cable and software to capture/process the data and (a) redesign their gui for real-time use, gauges, etc., or (b) have the durametric software export their data in real-time for capture by your gui software (should just be a slight revision of the data-logging capacity their software already has). durametric would be happy as it would mean more sales, and we would get something cool.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:46 PM   #85
WALDMEISTER

Garage
I remember, that there was a thread about a hack with the air conditioning, to display the oil temp...
Another thing I would like to see...gear display, rev-meter/shift Blitz
Old 06-24-2017, 08:22 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
It looks like that will go well in my car with the amber Skybreaker and Vivos.
Pasted over my old Pioneer system:
Woa that is pretty cool looking John. Exactly the look I'm looking for!!!

Here it goes in its white theme. Recognizes the time of the day and displays the correct theme e.g. 6am~6pm=white. Amber color for the rest of the day, of course, but can also support vivid pink if selected in the settings

Old 06-24-2017, 08:36 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
wondering if a cooperative project w durametic is possible? ie, instead of reinventing the wheel, use the durametric cable and software to capture/process the data and (a) redesign their gui for real-time use, gauges, etc., or (b) have the durametric software export their data in real-time for capture by your gui software (should just be a slight revision of the data-logging capacity their software already has). durametric would be happy as it would mean more sales, and we would get something cool.
No idea what is Durametric, we don't have them in China although I've seen a clone once. Wouldn't be surprised if Durametric's business is already well established, they couldn't less about little potatoes like myself I'm sure.

The way we intent programing and delivering this system is by using the exact same features as the official PIWIS. I can borrow my Indy's PIWISII regularly and sniff the Porsche protocol over the kline as I wish. Like previously mentioned, nothing is encrypted on these cars so... a teenager could do this. Problem is "time" really, nobody volunteered to help so I'm all by myself on this project :/

That's how we do my friend. Plug in a Y line to the ODB and send it AT commands over the kline using the PIWIII. We then sniff the data going in and out of the port using the Peak's PCAN software. That captured HEX data is then converted using pretty basic functions in C# and displayed (likely) using plot graphs as you've seen in the previous page. Works man, fun also.... I can start-up my radiator fans and monitor my cam deviation degree real-time! LOLLL how useless

Here's the magic; the car hacker's Y dream tool Can sniff pretty much anything coming out/in from my PIWIS II here. As for programing all this back into C... well... done that all my life so....

Old 06-25-2017, 07:53 AM   #88

yeah, durametric is just a poor-mans piwis. it's gonna take you lots of time, however - while the data is not encrypted, there is a LOT of it. the tool (duramentric, pst2, piwis) produces actual data for about 100 outputs - you'll have to figture out how to convert all that unencrypted data into something that means something (throttle positions, maf readings, deviations, fuel trims, etc. etc. etc.). not to mention the drive activations, where the tool sends drive info for about 30 functions to the ecu (like turning on the radiator fans). or the fault codes, where porsche codes don't follow odb exactly. if anyone can get it done it is you! i was just thinking that durametric might give it up for free in return for bundling their product w your product.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:52 AM   #89

Quote:
produces actual data for about 100 outputs - you'll have to figture out how to convert all that unencrypted data into something that means something
So are most of the other vehicles sadly - not easy! Making efficient and productive use of those provided PCAN filters (recurrent data, consecutive, duplicate, etc) is an art on its own! Although most of the non-metric data is handshake and proprietary protocol's ackn. Those filters stips out that recurrent stuff leaving you with some preettee cool treasures sometime. Treasure hunting, TRK lolll

But I'm with you, each own his place in every market and this one belongs to Durametric. I'll see if they would agree to a licensing scheme at least, and whether they would agree writing a driver for their serial interface e.g. bluetooth + IC for iso9141. I do NOT want their 1954's style cable in my car?

That would certainly save me great on the development time, thanks for the idea
Old 06-25-2017, 09:20 AM   #90
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
This may be helpful: Much of the Bosch Motronic 7.xxx is documented and defined. Mostly it is a matter of figuring out what you are looking for. I expect the earlier Boxsters with ME5.xxx are similarly written.
Nefmoto has some good documents and translations:

You will need to register and login to see or download any of the files.
S4 Wiki has some other good basic Motronic info.
https://s4wiki.com/wiki/Tuning
Old 06-25-2017, 09:33 AM   #91

Hoilly clap, how did I missed that out. Total public embarrassment thank you very much John LOL I had a pretty good dbc baseline provided by (an undisclosed) tech already but this is what I was hoping to find one day

See, right there. Community power, this stuff works flawlessly at least. SHARE YOUR BLOODY MINDS fellas... not all about money and lawyers in life

Make our P cars better (and faster lollll)
Old 06-25-2017, 09:52 AM   #92

i did a bit of research in to that when i was looking to get some community ecu tuning happening. from a porsche point of view, there is enough info out there for the 7.8 dme, but not a lot for the 7.2. there are ways to dump the ecu data, but turning that into fueling tables, etc., trial and error, is next to impossible. the community had figured a little bit of it out, but not a substantive amount. hence the pay $1000 per shot to the guys who have put the time into interpreting it.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:26 AM   #93

Quote:
i did a bit of research in to that when i was looking to get some community ecu tuning happening. from a porsche point of view, there is enough info out there for the 7.8 dme, but not a lot for the 7.2. there are ways to dump the ecu data, but turning that into fueling tables, etc., trial and error, is next to impossible. the community had figured a little bit of it out, but not a substantive amount. hence the pay $1000 per shot to the guys who have put the time into interpreting it.
I've looked into A/F tuning also, looked I said, and consulted an old friend in the UK who does just that daily (p mosports, not p cars). To be told that the 'accountability' is way too risky for my little Nice8Six Enterprise to cope with. Considering only this part (less the custom protocol and hardware req) that $1,000 is a pretty reasonable service... if you ask me.

Know exactly how you feel about it
Old 06-26-2017, 12:04 PM   #94

Artificial Inteligence

Quick Update

Had to get a mdi base code set first so to move on building the user controls. Haven't coded since a while, fingers looks in good shape apparently.

Never drive alone anymore! The system is now fully voice activated, therefore hands free. Keeps bad drivers like my wif(oops) focused on the road ahead.

Few lines of code for the speech and grammar for your enjoyment below. That's right, its wake-up command is "Hello 986". Go figure

Works absolutely flawlessly. Only problem is who ever gets one of those robot will need to have the mic implanted. That thing really converse with you

Doesn't hurt, scout promise IiI

^ When you feed this little guy a full 5v and set its gain to 90%, it becomes exaggeratedly accurate. Was totally blown away. Goes in the face-plate, hidden from view... hopefully

^ Hello 986 stuff.

Addictive beware. I'll share the exe of the alpha version around when debugged and looking good. Hope we'll be able to test the navigation/routing also - coming soon chaps

(Inteligence, misspelled!)
Old 06-26-2017, 02:53 PM   #95

Garage
Incredible. Eager to see how this develops. Great stuff, Fred!
Old 06-26-2017, 11:36 PM   #96

I have to admit that this is getting increasingly interesting even for me. If you had designed it with a physical knob, there would be little hesitation...
The thing is - When I'm driving, I want to change focus as little as possible. An actual knob to change the volume or switch it off makes a world of difference. There's nothing that beats a tactile response to what you're doing. That way it's possible to make adjustments to your musical experience while still keeping your eyes on the road.
fridsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:18 AM   #97

There is also a knob on each control that will require user's adjustments! Well, a 'knob' one that fits a tad better within the year we're in. Its a digital tracking bar! See red arrow.

I made the timer refresh on this digital trackbar at 0.1sec (100ms). < That + the capacitive touchscreen that I'm using here, thus making this little bad boy's digital knob Ultra Responsive. Requires less one finger than what's needed for a knob also! Placed it on the driver's side for convenience. Quick tap or drag and you are set.

We'll also have:

Me: Hello 986
InfoSys: Oh Hello!
Me: Volume level six please
InfoSys: adjusting volume to level 6 now!

Both features... are insanely fun! Again, 100ms refresh rate = ultra responsive

F 1954'style knobs man, I'm killing those (exterminate the knobs lolll)

Last edited by Nine8Six; 06-27-2017 at 12:20 AM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:46 AM   #98

Can't be all fancy and pretty (prototyping!)

Sharing with you some not-so-preettee material this time. Can't wait to see what it will look like with the theme turned on. Will do this this coming weekend and upload.

Developing a Turn by Turn Navigation backend for the Porsche cars. Sadly doesn't work with any other cars... has to be a Porsche. As you can see the car location's pin is porschetized :/

Below visuals are what the development form looks like at my end. All-in-all the features are in and coded, even got that Hello 986 Sexy voice telling you what to expect ahead lolll super fun

Proprietary 986Forum stuff, ladies and gents

^ Those two list boxes on the left hand side is 'fake' driving coordinates. Plugs onto a 2 second timer allowing me to develop this from a desk chair.... instead of a moving car seat
Old 06-29-2017, 09:31 AM   #99

Garage
Looking awesome Fred
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:38 AM   #100

It'll be a sad day at the forum when Fred moves on from Boxsters