Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2015, 04:05 PM   #1

Installing Pioneer AVH 4000NEX with Euro Motorsport Double DIN

I am in the middle of updating my head unit. I purchased a Pioneer AVH 4000NEX and the Euromotorsport install kit. Everything is going pretty well but I have stalled out with the wiring harnesses.

This is the Euro Motorsport Black plug

This is the Euro Motorsport Red plug

This is the Pioneer wiring harness

There are corresponding wires for most of the black plug. The only one that I am concerned about is the blue one. The Pioneer blue one says "System Mute Control".

There is a blue wire on the red plug. Is that the one (it has a white stripe)?

The pioneer did not come with any wiring description.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, John

jpc763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:52 PM   #2

The blue wire on red plug is the amplifer control signal. It is a 12Vdc signal from HU to amp to turn the amp on slight after the HU powers up.
The Pioneer System mute is the same signal, just silly name.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
The blue wire on red plug is the amplifer control signal. It is a 12Vdc signal from HU to amp to turn the amp on slight after the HU powers up.
The Pioneer System mute is the same signal, just silly name.
OK, I read the wrong label. The blue wire on the pioneer harness is labeled "System Remote Control". The Yellow Wire with a thin black or blue stripe is labeled Mute.

So does the Pioneer "Mute" wire hook to the blue wire on the red harness?

Thanks for your response. I searched and there are a lot of threads about replacing the head unit but nothing I could find about the wiring harness connections.

Thanks, John
Old 03-21-2015, 08:20 PM   #4

Check out this thread: http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/51283-does-anyone-know-vss-wire-02-bose.html

Scroll down to post 13 and you will see picture of the unit with the wire harness connected.

I used this for a reference on the wiring:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/19616-porsche-boxster-avic-d3-installation-instructions/

You will need to make a donation to Renntech to access this file, but it is worth it.

This may also help.

Pelican Technical Article: Changing Your Boxster Stereo Head Unit / Installing Boxster Ipod Integration - 986 / 987

It has been a while since I did this project, but if I recall correctly, the blue wire with the white stripe on the red connector sends the signal to power on the amplifier and the antenna.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
Check out this thread: http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/51283-does-anyone-know-vss-wire-02-bose.html

Scroll down to post 13 and you will see picture of the unit with the wire harness connected.
that picture will be helpful. I will try to blow it up when I work on the harness. Looking at the picture I am still not sure how to connect the blue wire.
Quote:
I used this for a reference on the wiring:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/19616-porsche-boxster-avic-d3-installation-instructions/

You will need to make a donation to Renntech to access this file, but it is worth it.
I have that Renntech article printed out. I did not see any reference to wiring, just prepping the dash for the install.
Quote:
This may also help.

Pelican Technical Article: Changing Your Boxster Stereo Head Unit / Installing Boxster Ipod Integration - 986 / 987

It has been a while since I did this project, but if I recall correctly, the blue wire with the white stripe on the red connector sends the signal to power on the amplifier and the antenna.
This article should be helpful.

Lets see what tomorrow brings.

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:51 AM   #6

There are two posts on the Renntech thread. The first one discusses prepping the dash and the second covers the wiring.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
Old 03-22-2015, 07:18 AM   #7

Quote:
There are two posts on the Renntech thread. The first one discusses prepping the dash and the second covers the wiring.
Ahh. I found it. Thanks, can't believe I missed it.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:41 AM   #8

Here is where I am at. I have followed the Renntech wiring diagram and have matched everything up except the blue wire on Harness B (black). What I have left on the pioneer is a yellow/black wire labeled "mute" and a purple/black wire labeled "reverse gear signal input".

I know it's not the purple one, but is it the Mute wire?
Old 03-22-2015, 11:59 AM   #9

OK, I have been digging through the manual and found the section about wiring. The Mute wire on the Pioneer harness will not be hooked to anything.

The Blue Wire on Harness B (antenna Control) and the Blue Wire on Harness A (System Remote Turn On) will both be connected to the blue/white wire on the Pioneer harness based on the statement in the manual "Connect to an external power amp's system remote control terminal, the auto-antenna relay control terminal, or the antenna booster control terminal".

Thoughts?

Thanks again. John
Old 03-22-2015, 04:22 PM   #10

If I recall correctly, that is what I did. The blue wire turns on the amp and antenna.

I also hooked up the reverse signal wire for my back up camera.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:04 PM   #11

Quote:
If I recall correctly, that is what I did. The blue wire turns on the amp and antenna.

I also hooked up the reverse signal wire for my back up camera.
Well that worked and the stereo is installed but I cannot get the iPod to work in AppRadio or in Car Play mode.

I get the following message when I try to play the iPod via direct connect.

The Home Screen also shows that there is no iPod connected

I connected the iPod via USB 1 and a lightning cable into a HDMI/lightning module into the iPod. This was how it was documented in the manual.

Any ideas? I am going to call Pioneer tomorrow.

Thanks, John
Old 03-23-2015, 02:52 AM   #12

Which generation of iPod do you have? If it is an older model, check to see if it is in the list of supported devices.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:43 AM   #13

Sorry, should have said that. IPhone 5S
Old 03-23-2015, 05:57 AM   #14

Garage
Try another cable?
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:18 AM   #15

Update - I talked to Pioneer and the guy told me that I needed to change the settings in order to use either Car Play or AppRadio. I changed the settings and got AppRadio to sort of work but still cannot get Car Play to work.

When I change the Phone setting to "av adapter" I am able to access my AppRadio compatible apps (Waze shows up but displays a message that it is not supported). I tried Maps and it works. The thing is when I am in AppRadio mode, I can no longer use the Bluetooth connection to play music. How do I play my iPhone play lists when in AppRadio mode?

Pioneer told me that to use Car Play I needed to connect to USB1 and set the Phone setting to USB - Well that does not work still.

I am new with this and have been trying to find my answers in the manual but to no avail.

Thanks, John
Old 03-23-2015, 04:57 PM   #16

I searched the reviews on Amazon for your Pioneer unit (http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AVH-4000NEX-2-DIN-Multimedia-Receiver/product-reviews/B00IXPM03Y) and found this:

The app radio "integration" sucks, but I really don't have anything to compare it to. First, if you have an iPhone you'll need to run BOTH an HDMI and thunderbolt to the Apple HDMI to thunderbolt adapter and connect that to the phone - how do you make that look good/factory? Next, when hooked up like that you can't use the regular HU iPod integration or bluetooth audio and HAVE to use a less capable music app that you install on your phone (which then works through the app radio mode interface). There are also few apps you can run, and none with any exceptionally redeeming qualities that warrant not using the non-app mode capabilities. Also, switching back and forth between app radio mode and any other mode is clunky. If app radio mode and non app radio mode were more integrated then perhaps it would be useful? Perhaps if apps you had installed just showed up on the normal home screen like pandora, usb 1 and usb2 , etc. did it would be better.

I've read that there is an update coming soon with Car Play and other enhancements. I'm hopeful that this will fix some of the issues. I'm really hoping car play mode does away with the need for the HDMI adapter. We'll see in the coming months.

I'm not vouching for the accuracy of the review, I'm just passing it on.

Last edited by KevinH1990; 03-23-2015 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:52 AM   #17

I just installed the AVIC-8200NEX. At least on this unit, the yellow and red wires should be connected as color-coded and not switched as per the directions on Porsche Boxster Avic D3 Installation Instructions - DIY Articles - Boxster (986) - Accessories - RennTech.org Community

From the Pioneer manual, yellow is "To terminal supplied with power regardless of ignition switch position," and red is "To electric terminal controlled by ignition switch (12 V DC) ON/OFF." If you follow the great instructions above, you'll lose your presets when you remove the key.

Thanks to the community for the thorough and detailed write-ups and pics. Now, I just need to pull the drivers seat so I can connect the reverse wire :-).

AUSTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote