Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2015, 07:46 AM   #341

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjazz View Post
I've been using PlastX for the rear window and factory deflector up till now. Seems to work well...is Novus preferable?
It's all depending on your wallet really. Sure does all the same thing. PlastX is not necessarily the cheapest of all :/ But yea it works.

I got a NOVUS kit hand carried into China at the end of Dec by a friend and in all honesty, I will never use anything else. The thing is magic. Gets rid of those micro scratches in a wipe or two.

Chemicals LOL

Last edited by Nine8Six; 01-26-2015 at 08:10 AM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:26 AM   #342

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
I don't want to bother removing the trim each time - I'm suspecting brittle clips under there!

They are not too bad, I take the two outer trim pieces off whenever I install my B-K roll bar extension. I was afraid they were all going to break so I ordered some replacements, it is part # 98658075100, #9 on this diagram:
Wind Deflector And Linings Roll-over Bar

When you pry off the rollbar trim, sometimes the clip stays in the hole, or sometimes it stays on the threaded post on the backside of the rollbar trim, and you can thread it off. When you put the trim back on you can put the clip in the hole on the roll bar, line up the threaded posts, and then push it in. I would use the palm of my hand and do a little strike and it would pop in.

Turned out that I did not need to use any of my new clips, although I did use one or two since I had them. So if anyone does want to try and mount the wire behind there, don't be afraid to take that roll bar trim off.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:44 AM   #343

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
It's all depending on your wallet really. Sure does all the same thing. PlastX is not necessarily the cheapest of all :/ But yea it works.

I got a NOVUS kit hand carried into China at the end of Dec by a friend and in all honesty, I will never use anything else. The thing is magic. Gets rid of those micro scratches in a wipe or two.

Chemicals LOL
Heck, might as well get the good stuff, I'll shop around for the NOVUS kit.

Thanks for the info!
Old 01-26-2015, 01:47 PM   #344

Thank you Canada Post! Arrived safe and sound today. Looks fantastic Nine! Hey - question - maybe this has been answered but don't see it - what is the gold Porsche crest and allen wrench for? Don't see where those would be used off hand. Help!
Old 01-26-2015, 03:01 PM   #345
Beginner

Garage
Cleared customs, on it's way to destination.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:13 PM   #346

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
Thank you Canada Post! Arrived safe and sound today. Looks fantastic Nine! Hey - question - maybe this has been answered but don't see it - what is the gold Porsche crest and allen wrench for? Don't see where those would be used off hand. Help!
you hot glue it to your racing shoes
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 04:41 PM   #347

Quote:
Nose ring and ear ring
Old 01-26-2015, 06:18 PM   #348

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintro11 View Post
you hot glue it to your racing shoes
And the allen wrench???
Old 01-26-2015, 07:44 PM   #349

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Quote:
And the allen wrench???
the allen wrench is for changing the LED strip
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:58 PM   #350

Quote:
And the allen wrench???
Wrench is for the two little M3 hex screws that secure those 2 CNC blades (black thingies sandwiched onto the WD). Those will unscrew/screw with a 2mm wrench (metric).

Edit: did mentioned M3, as in very small! Aluminum threads careful no Big thumb torque req loll. Just sit the screw and add 1/4 turn (1/2 turn max). That's it or you'll strip out the threads hehehe

Once I find those Ultraviolet LED strips, believe me you'll want to shoot me $8 to cover shipping for one of these. That mini wrench will come handy if you switch leds!

Last edited by Nine8Six; 01-26-2015 at 10:41 PM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:32 PM   #351

Had friends over yesterday helping me out with some other production. I am "2.5 weeks late" in everything and finally admitting I need some help loll Thank god for good friends (i.e. the type that shows up when you are in trouble)

Going offline until this coming Sunday. I'll be dead quiet but won't be far

Andy took this shot out of his mobby cam y'day eve... just got it FW to me. Horrible quality but I like it. Let's see some of yours when you have the kit installed!

My boxster car has its Winter Mood colors turned ON atm! Heard you guys on the east coast are being hit bad weather-wise. Keep safe there all

Old 01-29-2015, 04:57 AM   #352

I'm late to the party but what front bumper is that? Definite want!
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:58 AM   #353

Garage
Partway through installation

It's 41*F here, so just lowering the (plastic window) top was a bit scary. I haven't hooked up the wiring yet; more comfortable working conditions will be conducive to creativity.

Fred, the product oozes quality and looks fantastic in person, and yes, it's going to be a bit of a bear to photograph. Give me a little time and warmer temps, and I'll see what I can do. I did take a couple unboxing and assembly pics, but not very many. Thanks again; your work is amazing.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:06 AM   #354

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc2050 View Post
It's 41*F here, so just lowering the (plastic window) top was a bit scary. I haven't hooked up the wiring yet; more comfortable working conditions will be conducive to creativity.

Fred, the product oozes quality and looks fantastic in person, and yes, it's going to be a bit of a bear to photograph. Give me a little time and warmer temps, and I'll see what I can do. I did take a couple unboxing and assembly pics, but not very many. Thanks again; your work is amazing.

Don't you want that flipped around so it can be read correctly from the rear of the car? At least that is the way Fred photographed it in his posts. Just wondering
Old 01-29-2015, 10:26 AM   #355

Garage
I think kjc has installed it exactly right. Congrats, it looks great!

Mine is sitting here still in the shipping package...Excellent wrapping job Fred, thanks for taking such care!

Can't wait to get her out of storage so I can start my installation.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:35 AM   #356

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate 01 View Post
Don't you want that flipped around so it can be read correctly from the rear of the car? At least that is the way Fred photographed it in his posts. Just wondering
Perhaps you should look at the image again.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:44 AM   #357
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Just fantastic...can't look any better!
Old 01-29-2015, 04:20 PM   #358

Get the Novus 1 2 3 kit if you have the plastic window. I swear after the first time I used all three the plastic window was more flexible (as if it had absorbed some chemicals) and wasn't as brittle as it had been. Use the polish about every other car washing and it stays nice and clear. Only difficulty is getting your hand and the rag all over the inside of the window really requires some contortions.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:30 PM   #359

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
Get the Novus 1 2 3 kit if you have the plastic window. I swear after the first time I used all three the plastic window was more flexible (as if it had absorbed some chemicals) and wasn't as brittle as it had been. Use the polish about every other car washing and it stays nice and clear. Only difficulty is getting your hand and the rag all over the inside of the window really requires some contortions.
Mike, thanks for commenting. I do have the Novus kit but you're right - getting at the inside of the window is a job for an 85 lb Russian gymnast. I need to do a better job on the inside surfaces, as I tend to ignore them in favor of the "easy" side, and it shows. I'll try to get at it this spring.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:12 PM   #360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate 01 View Post
You got some wicked vision/brain activity going on there my man. People like you are hired by intel & law enforcement agencies. Just saying

You got fooled by the position of the M3 screws. I've assembled Kevin's kit the other way around.... screws should face the car interior. Not that it matters but should be that way (a new rule lol). Easy flip around... keep for when you want to chg the LED for the other color (if you ever have too)

Kevin, stunning shot thanks man. High tech looking stuff... so far I think your WD is the best looking wind deflector in-the-world