View Single Post
Old 11-06-2014, 09:44 AM   #1
Nine8Six

Porsche Wind Deflector with Edge Lighting [from CAD, prototyping to finish]

A few weeks ago my friend (987 owner) and I are sitting in the back of a cab (i.e. taxi lol) and we see this BMW Z4 standing still right next to us at a traffic light. During that 5 secs long silence and awkward staring moment there weren't any words to describe how beautiful this thing was (frozen x2 lol). On the 6th second, we both say at the same time: "I need that" (that, illuminated edge wind deflector thingy)

So beautiful. With its Look & Feel possibly amplified by the surrounding lighting, urban environment, the car, the Z4 logo, the hot shanghainese gal driving....... I have no idea what it was. And until today I still can't figure out what made this thing standout so beautifully, why the obsession, etc etc... so I guess we'll have to put some on our Boxsters and find out by ourselves.

We actually found a few made-to-order kits and the nearest available for the boxsters was in JP. Unfortunately > $375+shipping way too expensive for what it is really. Fair enough but since we have all of that advanced tooling in-house already and easy access to all the materials locally, there is not much stopping us designing our own

Fun-cool-easy project on the engineering scale so using the same format of another DIY thread, I'll try my very best to entertain and document all of the steps we've taken to get this designed, installed and shining like no other wind deflectors in-the-world!

^ Here goes a (poorly 3D rendered) visual of the wind deflector when illuminated in red. In reality the top "edge" should be illuminated. I'll learn all about 3D rendering software and their adv light refraction features in another life maybe.

I am still unsettle on the etched graphic I'll be borrowing; maybe PORSCHE, maybe the badge, both or maybe something completely out of context (tribal, tattoo, sun, unlimited really). However, I am 100% convinced that the red color is exactly what my guards red boxster car needs

Stay tuned and who knows, if there is a demand I may manufacture a few made-to-order kits for you guys as well