Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2014, 11:49 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickinduncan View Post
But I live in Canada. He could have been wanting to talk to me about how awesome my bike is, or maybe to apologize for thinking he cut me off. Come to think about it, I think he had a Colorado plate which might have explained the situation. He did scare me though. Enough so that I forgot to apologize and thank him for his concern. I suppose I should have offered him a peace offering as there was a Timmies near by. Nothing says sorry like a double double with timbits.

Gosh, I sure do miss the Tim Hortons donuts and timbits. Tim Horton was a great Hockey player for those that don't know.
When are they going to get them in CA.
Ive waited 13 years since I last tasted them in Ontario and they are still not here yet, and with the number of canucks in SoCal, it ought to have been mandated by now.

You should have set your Flashing headlights for a 2Hz frequency so as to cause nausea for those that are annoying you.

You need to get the leather shotgun holster for your bike and put a broomstick in it, so the mounties don't bother you. Any US driver will NOT even make eye contact let alone stop you with that hanging prominently on your bike.

I have one of those tail light flasher modules on my Yamaha and it flashes 4 times then steady for 4 seconds then repeats. Cheap insurance at $20-$30 and helps keep the tailgaters off my ass when I blip the brakes as it flashes 4 times no mater how short the brake press is.

Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:04 PM   #22

Garage
I installed the brake flasher and it is great. Really customizable. Problem is, sometimes when I press the brake, the 3rd brake light will 'glitch' so to speak and will not turn on until I press the brake again. It probably happens 1/10 brake presses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:52 PM   #23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by epapp View Post
I installed the brake flasher and it is great. Really customizable. Problem is, sometimes when I press the brake, the 3rd brake light will 'glitch' so to speak and will not turn on until I press the brake again. It probably happens 1/10 brake presses

Lol. I see you've been keeping this a secret from me.

https://www.enhancedautomods.com/shop/comfort-top
Shehadehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:30 PM   #24

Garage
It isnt really a prrrroblem....and its passed the epapp test like, 20 times now, so its all good
Old 01-17-2014, 03:37 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by epapp View Post

Mine played up untill i put a resistor on it !! Worked ok then.
Guvs.
Guvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:16 AM   #26

Garage
oooohhhhh @GUVS
Speak to me re this witchcraft!

What parts did you buys, where from and how difficult was the fitting? Plug and play or some kind of splice and solder routine?
Old 01-25-2014, 02:34 PM   #27
Usercpy

Garage
check this out:

Flashing brake lights - YouTube
Old 01-26-2014, 11:12 AM   #28

very smart, not sure if legal here in uk though.. will need to look into it
cam_d_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:40 AM   #29

Hi EssexPorsche & cam-d- are you Boys not on "BoXa.net" I've put a how too on there about this subject.
worth logging on there.
Guvs.

In the mean time have a look at the video links:-

easy Mod to do only takes half hour and as cheap as chips.
Guvs.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:45 AM   #30

I apologise I just noticed I have already posted one of the videos I've just posted I have since got a LED 3rd high level brake strip light and they look a 100% better now much sharper, I will have to get a day time video showing them one day.
Guvs.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:54 PM   #31

Garage
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzgVZQpuS7NdSVBwSmdUdk1fM3c/edit?usp=sharing
Old 10-01-2014, 01:07 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guvs View Post
Mine played up untill i put a resistor on it !! Worked ok then.
Guvs.
I have ordered the Kahtek delay unit for my Boxster. What kind of resistor did you use and how did you add it to the wiring scheme?

Thanks
KaseytheDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:15 PM   #33
Usercpy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaseytheDog View Post
I have ordered the Kahtek delay unit for my Boxster. What kind of resistor did you use and how did you add it to the wiring scheme?

Thanks
Just a simple cheap one from ebay, 1+ & 1-
Old 10-18-2014, 02:45 AM   #34

Hi all.
Finally got around to videoing my 3rd brake light with my LED rear clusters and in day time so here goes let’s hope I can do the linky thing (not very IT literate I’m afraid) click on the cross it is there can't seem to get the photo link showing, but by clicking on the cross it works !!
The red light switch on the dash board is like a cut out switch for the strobe, when I'm in slow moving traffic I use this to stop the flashing in case it annoys anyone behind me.
Guvs.

PS
All I used for a resistor was a block of ceramic type with wire coming out of each end of it, as for the wiring of it follow the instructions, or look at my section in “running reports” on BoXa.net under “My Speed Yellow Boxster”

Last edited by Guvs; 10-18-2014 at 02:50 AM.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:15 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeching View Post
Hi,
Just want to share this simple DIY 3rd brake light flasher, delay version.
I've seen this on F1 race cars, kinda cool and it's proven more visibility when it flashes, and it's great safety issue.
I went for delay version because in rush hour traffic brake light will act normally on solid(slow drive, hit&brake all the time)
and will not irritating other drivers during rush hour.
The brake flashes 6 times about 2 sec and then turn solid, touching your brakes again within 8 seconds will cause
your third brake light to turn on normally without flashing.
!! With the module, you need a simple resistor to work properly on Boxster !!
no error codes. simple install.

3rd brake light strobe, delay version Porsche Boxster 986 - YouTube

I have tried both from Kahtec and 3rdbrakeflasher.com, 3rdbrakeflasher module is programable. i haven't found other brand with delay version, both are great.
you need resistor to work properly both og them.

Are there any instructions on what to use for a resistor and how to wire that in with the module ?
soxfan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:43 AM   #36

I was able to get some info from Kahtec on the Resistor to use. Though they said I shouldn't need one (I have a 2004), if I did need one it would be a 6ohm 50W one. They also sent this picture on how to wire it in:

I purchased the Smart Stop Delay version and a 6ohm 50W resistor off Ebay. They arrived last week and I was able to install them this past weekend. I took some pics of the installation as I went, following the instructions in this post. The only real tricky part I ran into was that both wires on the third brake light adapter were black which made it difficult to tell which was + and which was - (a tester would be a handle tool if you plan on this installation). I was able to get it installed and working - it does take some assistance, need someone to press the brakes while you are observing the results while wiring things in. Other than that it was pretty straight forward and works great.

Here is a picture of the screws you need to remove for the third brake light (there are two of them):

Then remove the connector (note both wires are black) - there is a tab on the clip you depress to remove it:

Here is the Smart Stop Delay and Resistor I used:

Wire it in following the directions from Kahtec:

Wire in the resistor (follow directions in the image provided above from Kahtec):

Have someone help test the light is working as expected (delay, etc) - I did this first after installing the Smart Stop and then again after installing the Resistor, and before I re-attached the third brake light.

Once you confirm everything is working, you need to find a place to hide the smart stop and resistor. I ended up making a small slice in the weather stripping and putting both parts inside the lining where the roof is stored like this:

Not sure if there is a better place to store it or not, but this seems to work. I also checked the light after a few days to make sure it (and my rear brake lights) were functioning correctly - just to make sure after driving for a bit none of the connections came loose.

Here is a video of it installed and working:
http://youtu.be/o5YqufFLKtA
soxfan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 05:07 PM   #37
Usercpy

Garage
I found the Third brake wire here +/- and installed the resistor around here at the trunk.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:09 PM   #38

My opinion is please don't do this. I had a friend with a 99 Nissan Altima and we went through all the work of REMOVING the blinking 3rd light. Its definatly a distraction, blinking crap draws attention and I can't believe it was never classed as impersonating an ambulance (to my friends who had blue lights and paid that 500$ fine for impersonating a cop.) They pulled this option from cars by 2000, there were none left. Its like those sliding seatbelts in early 90s cars. They tried it but found it to be a bad idea. Blinking lights dont let people who can only see your 3rd brake light know if your tapping your brake pedal or holding it. Same thing with those american cars that double the usage of the brake and turn signal bulb.
BrakeExpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:24 PM   #39
On the slippery slope

Garage
We had a 2000 Volvo C70 that had a blinking 3rd brake light
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:01 PM   #40

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
I just installed this. I got the kahtec delay version. Traced he wires back to the trunk. It worked without the resistor on my 2003 S with led's in the brake light. Hooked in he resistor just in case though.

Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote