Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2016, 04:05 AM   #41
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaps10 View Post
Jamesp! Why did I have no idea you had an engine thread on here? I knew you'd been inside for sure but didn't see the pictures or get the story behind the tear down.

One thing I cringed for a moment on was when I saw that pic of the wrist pin clip. The phone pic was very clear but it looked to me like the clip wasn't seated properly (some sticking out at the top). Could be the angle I guess. Obviously it's in just fine if it hasn't popped out in all this time.

Your main bearing description sounds identical to mine, at about the same mileage.
I did a double take when I saw the photo too. Look closely and you can tell it is the lighting.

Old 06-30-2016, 06:24 PM   #42
Artist, 986S tinkerer

IIRC, I think that 24" clearance is needed to drop the engine and slide it out on a furniture cart.
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:26 PM   #43

What a great idea, those furniture moving Dollys. Maybe reinforce it a bit with plywood over it. Never owned a mid engine car so it's nice to know the options we have for those without fancy garages with lifts. But for those average Joes like me how does one get a Boxster up to 24 inches? I'm asking those that have done it to replace an engine, just for future reference. I've come from the world of 350Zs or other front engine cars and by the way never looked back after purchasing my Boxster. Don't mind wrenching and just want to know how others have approached this issue.
Lapister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 05:30 AM   #44

Garage
I believe you'll need a little more space than 24". The 2.7 motor in storage in my garage is 23.5" top of manifold to bottom of oil pan. My dolly is 4"

* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:42 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
Details of the rebuild:
Everything touched was cleaned and repainted as necessary
Heads sent out .010 out of flat corrected, new seals installed, valve job
All timing chains replaced
Chain ramps replaced
Main Bearings replaced
Thrust bearings replaced
Rod bearings replaced
Clutch disc replaced
Clutch pivot in transmission replaced
Engine seals replaced
Air oil separator replaced
Pistons and rings cleaned. Original piston rings reused
Plastic balance tube replaced
Intermediate shaft replaced with a modified IMS to reduce the chance of IMSB failure
Pelican parts IMS bolt/sealing parts used
Nachi high temp Viton sealed IMS bearing installed
New connecting rod bolts
New front motor mount

Non engine items:
New horns
Both window regulators fixed with the bicycle cable adjuster trick
Birds nests and other trash deleted from the front radiators
Broken plastic tabs on the rear wing plastic cover glued with epoxy and plastic cover re-installed
Headlights polished to remove yellow haze
Car detailed
As an engineer in Houston area who purchased a 2001 Boxster 3.2S recently, I would love to get together and talk 986 items and shoot the breeze if you have the time/inclination...
jedblanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:18 AM   #46

The invaluable part that James the OP offered is :
"I'll be installing the engine in the coming days. I have identified 18 connections between the car and the engine and made a checklist. after I have verified it, I'll post it for future reference."
The tangle of vacuum hoses and wiring is bewildering to reconnect. And trouble shooting it when the engine is installed but won't run/runs badly is a nightmare because of access.Beware brittle plastic vac lines and connectors ! This subject is worthy of a Pelican DIY upgrade article !There is a lot of info/diagrams available that each tell part of the story but the info is scattered and fragmented. We could start with a recommendation for silicone, small diameter vac lines?
Update - there is a new link to a primer on vac line repair/install !
Vacuum Confusion -SOLVED
The other useful point to make for future rebuilders is - at what stage do you fit the engine wiring harness? I guarantee most of us had to redo some of our work to fit it correctly. James is correct - you need lots of high definition photos.No, there are not any Internet giudes that I found to answer all the wiring harness questions - so make your own photo album !

Last edited by Gelbster; 09-11-2016 at 06:47 PM.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:40 PM   #47

Agreed that as these cars age the vacuum lines will be a common issue. Plus for anyone, uh, "fortunate" enough to score one of these cars as a project it would be invaluable information.
flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 03:55 PM   #48

Here is a link for those who need to 'rebuild'. It seems like it is new and has the potential to be helpful. Other Boxster videos there under "Jet 1" and Jet 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELda1kJf-oU

Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote