Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 11:35 AM   #1

Jack Stand Usage

I want to jack up the front of the Box and put it on jack stands. Here's my question. If I use the jacking point to lift the car, where do I put the jack stands so I can lower the car onto them safely?

schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:14 PM   #2

Pelican Technical Article: Jacking Up and Lifting the Boxster on Jack Stands - 986 / 987

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #3

Garage
If you have a low profile jack and pad (hockey puck) you can move 4" back from standard jacking point of the front of car or 4" forward of the rear jacking point.

You can actually from either spot lift the entire side of the car and place jack stands on the standard point on front and rear and then move to the other side and do the same thing, I have been doing it this way for the last 7 years with never an issue, just make sure you are placing a hockey puck pad on jack and using good and sturdy stands, I also am using the insert on stands that fits into the hole at the standard jacking point.

boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:52 PM   #4

Some ideas here...

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/24562-jack-stand-placements.html

...including a link in my post as to how I do mine. Mildly labor intensive initially to make the jacking block (the 4x4), but once it's done it's done. It has worked very well for me for a number of years.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #5

I use a floor jack on the back end and it lifts the car enough to put the jack stands on the front end.
tanque55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

To raise the front: Lift at the rear jacking point until you can get the jackstand under the front jacking point. Then do the other side the same way.

To raise the rear: Lift from the rear end under the car at the rear suspension mounting point until you can get a jackstand under the rear jacking point. Then do the other side the same way.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:38 AM   #7

Thank you everyone. Once again, the collective knowledge of the Forum comes through.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:00 PM   #8

Are people needing hockey pucks on the stands? I use one on my jack pad. But I only have jacked up the car once for practice. I am about to do a oil change and will lift the rear of the car. I noticed my stands bracket shape didn't quite fit the stand area so well... So I would like to do something but I am not sure how I would mount a puck to the stand...
mcomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcomet View Post
Are people needing hockey pucks on the stands? I use one on my jack pad. But I only have jacked up the car once for practice. I am about to do a oil change and will lift the rear of the car. I noticed my stands bracket shape didn't quite fit the stand area so well... So I would like to do something but I am not sure how I would mount a puck to the stand...
Harbor freight sells the rubber pads that fit on top of the jack stands, i got 4 for about $15. No need to use a hockey puck.
I've seen people carving out a hockey puck to fit on on their floor jack, but again, harbor freights has great aluminum floor jack that have a built in protecting pad.
Skrapmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:42 AM   #10

Hmm I missed that when I got my jack and stands from there recently, sounds like a trip back is in order. Thanks!
comet
mcomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #11
Homeboy981

Garage
Pads? We don't need no stinkin' pads!

Seriously, it is SCARRY at first but after a few times it becomes old hat.

Good to have pucks but I use a rubber.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxshter6354 View Post
If you have a low profile jack and pad (hockey puck) you can move 4" back from standard jacking point of the front of car or 4" forward of the rear jacking point.

You can actually from either spot lift the entire side of the car and place jack stands on the standard point on front and rear and then move to the other side and do the same thing, I have been doing it this way for the last 7 years with never an issue, just make sure you are placing a hockey puck pad on jack and using good and sturdy stands, I also am using the insert on stands that fits into the hole at the standard jacking point.

hi what is the insert like and where can I get them from. Thanks
duncan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:31 PM   #13
Super Moderator

Hey everyone...I've included a link and video to our 'QuickJack' product. I think it'll help a lot of you out with your DIY projects and general maintenance. We also carry rubber contact blocks for those of you using hockey pucks Let us know your thoughts and as always, best of luck!

QuickJack Lifts - Bend-Pak Lifts - PelicanParts.com

-Dmitry

Last edited by Dmitry at Pelican Parts; 09-08-2016 at 02:35 PM.
Dmitry at Pelican Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:50 PM   #14
Custom User Title Here

Garage

Last edited by particlewave; 09-08-2016 at 03:39 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:25 PM   #15
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I use Esco stands that have a rubber pad built in. I also have a plain hockey puck on my jack so that the claw shaped metal cup does not contact the underbody.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:52 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry at Pelican Parts View Post
Hey everyone...I've included a link and video to our 'QuickJack' product. I think it'll help a lot of you out with your DIY projects and general maintenance. We also carry rubber contact blocks for those of you using hockey pucks Let us know your thoughts and as always, best of luck!

QuickJack Lifts - Bend-Pak Lifts - PelicanParts.com

-Dmitry
This would be great for brake and wheel work, but I just couldn't bring myself to get under the car with a Quikjack. But this is just old paranoid me...never totally comfortable under a car unless I have a solid set of jackstands and a couple of big blocks of wood just in case.
Need_for_speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 01:12 AM   #17

This is what I use . These stands give me 600mm from the car underside to the floor
Old 09-10-2016, 05:27 AM   #18
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Froggo, could you provide more detail about these stands and how you get the car onto them?
With a regular jack, I would image you have to raise each wheel a few inches at a time, which looks like it would take ages.
Old 09-10-2016, 03:41 PM   #19

Ok it's really quite quick about 20 min tops . The stands are two stage about 200mm each , so with the stand on low , jack the car using the car jacking point , [ say the front right ] so the stand can go under the front right wheel . lower the car onto it and then jack the front left side and do the same . If you want the car up level then do the rear wheels as well . the car is now 200mm higher , which may be enough for some servicing .For the next stage put the jack in as the last photo , then jack up the car and stand and slide in the pins , do all four wheels . If you want to take off a wheel say to work on the brakes , I place a jack stand under the car jack point next to that wheel and then lower the wheel jack stand and remove it .I made these stands because I cant drill my floor for a car hoist to be bolted down , the floor is hot water heated and has pipes all through it , drilling is bound to hit one .
Old 09-10-2016, 04:30 PM   #20

Garage
That's friggin' slick man. You've got some impressive fabrication skills and could probably sell those like hotcakes.

911monty is offline   Reply With Quote