Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2010, 09:23 PM   #1

jack stand placements

I need to put my 2001 Boxster up on jack stands to paint my brake calipers. I note that there are four points to place the jack to lift the car to change tyres etc. But where can I put the jack stands once the car is up without damaging anything so I can then use the jack points to raise and lower it?

ryuujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 05:20 AM   #2

Here's what I did. Requires a little handiwork with a piece of 4x4 wood (we were doing some split rail fencing work and had several scrap pieces left over from the end posts). If you have the tools, it doesn't take very long to make one of these. And now, for me, getting the car up on jack stands is easy.

Check out: Jacking the Boxster

If you don't like this approach, just Search under "jack stand" and you'll see several posts about what others do.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:54 AM   #3

Garage
The Jack stands will be placed under the four designated Jack points, the low profile jack will be placed about 6 inches or so from the rear Jack point towards front of car.

Place Jack stand along side of car at the jack point to make sure you have sideways clearance with Jack in place,you can Jack up the entire side of the car and place both Jack stands under each Jack point.

Couple of items:

1. Use a hockey puck on Jack pad to deflect some of the pressure
2. Break lug nuts before jacking (yeah I forgot the first time)
3. Roll windows down as you may have to reach into the car.
4. Buy new caliper bolts (8) and brake retaining kit (2) one kit will do two calipers.
( I am assuming you are taking calipers off to paint)

I followed Pedro's guide to painting the calipers and had no issues at all and they turned out great.

Good luck

Last edited by boxster6354; 04-25-2010 at 07:29 AM.
boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:07 PM   #4

Hey Frodo - I like your cordless drill!
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:41 PM   #5

Yeah, got that from my dad, IIRC. Don't use it very often, but comes in handy from time to time. You feel like a true artisan using one of them...very satisfying!

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote