Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2014, 12:11 PM   #441

Particle do you think there is a difference between passenger and drivers side ? I would think they are universal.

2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:16 PM   #442
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Yes, they are exact mirror images of each other
Old 04-25-2014, 08:40 PM   #443

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
Great I may end up being the guinea pig for this development !
Interesting. Sounds like a group buy!
nieuwhzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:46 PM   #444

^ I'm in

Actually if the price is right I think take a few sets of those Richard (25~50). Thanks for looking into this mate, very kind
Old 04-26-2014, 02:44 AM   #445

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
^ I'm in

Actually if the price is right I think take a few sets of those Richard (25~50). Thanks for looking into this mate, very kind
I have had several emails with the potential manufacturer and he's committed to doing the R&D once he receives the sample. My understanding of the process is first he will study the shape, going just on memory from when I sent mine to Charles there is a shape to these seals it's not like it's a giant o-ring. So a die or possibly multiple dies might be needed. Then the rubber type/compound will have to be determined, my goal is to have them made out of a compound that hopefully won't turn to mush. I know all of the seals I purchased from this vendor for my previous Porsche after 3 years were as good as when I installed them they weathered very well. The next item that will need to be determined is can he manufacture a complete one piece seal or will it be more like a rope and the end user has to glue the seam ? And finally after all this is determined what will the end user price be ? I'm already talking group buy we'll have to see what the min qty buy will be for him to cover tooling and first run costs. I'm cautiously optimistic this will become reality but we'll have to let it run it's course.
Charles/Fred any idea why the OEM seals turn to mush ? Is it the heat/UV from the sun or is it the wrong compound chosen by Porsche or ??? I want to provide as much tribal knowledge from the 986/996 community to the manufacturer to increase the possibility of getting these right the first time !
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
Old 04-26-2014, 04:55 AM   #446

OK different subject I want to order clear corner lenses for my new headlights car is a 2002 S. Per Pelican Parts the part numbers 996-631-045-00-M422 ( left ) + 996-631-046-00-M422 ( right ) only fit model year 2003 - 2004 is that correct ? If it is correct what are the part numbers for a 2002 ? Or will they fit ? I want to verify before ordering. Thanks
Old 04-26-2014, 06:34 AM   #447

I'm in as well! My FrostKing experiment is a decent temp fix, but I doubt will last for long. Nineapart quoted me $150/each plus shipping, but that was more than I was willing fork over.

Driving this car makes me wish I lived farther away from work!
Troy.Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:43 AM   #448

Garage
Quote:
OK different subject I want to order clear corner lenses for my new headlights car is a 2002 S. Per Pelican Parts the part numbers 996-631-045-00-M422 ( left ) + 996-631-046-00-M422 ( right ) only fit model year 2003 - 2004 is that correct ? If it is correct what are the part numbers for a 2002 ? Or will they fit ? I want to verify before ordering. Thanks
They will fit. I believe the reason for the different model years is the earlier years had amber corners and the later clear.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:44 AM   #449

Quote:
I have had several emails with the potential manufacturer and he's committed to doing the R&D once he receives the sample. My understanding of the process is first he will study the shape, going just on memory from when I sent mine to Charles there is a shape to these seals it's not like it's a giant o-ring. So a die or possibly multiple dies might be needed. Then the rubber type/compound will have to be determined, my goal is to have them made out of a compound that hopefully won't turn to mush. I know all of the seals I purchased from this vendor for my previous Porsche after 3 years were as good as when I installed them they weathered very well. The next item that will need to be determined is can he manufacture a complete one piece seal or will it be more like a rope and the end user has to glue the seam ? And finally after all this is determined what will the end user price be ? I'm already talking group buy we'll have to see what the min qty buy will be for him to cover tooling and first run costs. I'm cautiously optimistic this will become reality but we'll have to let it run it's course.
Charles/Fred any idea why the OEM seals turn to mush ? Is it the heat/UV from the sun or is it the wrong compound chosen by Porsche or ??? I want to provide as much tribal knowledge from the 986/996 community to the manufacturer to increase the possibility of getting these right the first time !
Agree of letting this run its course. However if your friend is making these commercially, chances are he has those gigantic machines and presses. Seen those before... it is disturbing mate believe me. Our problem is min. qty to for him to break even (you can't say NO to a friend!). We'll need to buy min 500pcs of this small seal just so he can at least cover the cost of the energy required for heating his machine's rollers (used to melt the rubber). Molds cost are not included yet... those can go up nasty as well even if they are made of aluminum.

RE material; they will be most likely made of EPDM rubber. Or request for them to be (please )

The alternative:

Someone (Charles, you there?) to buy the casting kit and do them at home. Perfect for a small qty run. Doesn't require much to get this done in less than 48hrs (for someone that never done casting before). You just need a pint of casting silicon + catalyst and some modeling clay (plasticine?) to do a two-parts mold. Tutorials all over Youtube (I've just checked).

The rubber is also sold by the same sellers selling those DIY casting kits. They come in a liquid form with curing time ranging from 6 ~16hrs. Silicon rubber being one of the best and most used although not the cheapest. You can colour this stuff using plain dyes (black, gray, red, pink, whatever). Very high heat resistant... not sure about discoloration under UV however (might turn white, but after ten years).

Molding/Casting/Replicating a part is as easy as making a chocolate cake in all honesty. Today you can find resins in liquid form of any sort (silicon based, rubber, epoxies, acrylics, plastics, what else....)

Youtube "casting two part mold" type search. I've done a lot of that in the past (custom gaskets, o-rings, little plastic gears, anything really). Very fun and relaxing hobby
Old 04-26-2014, 01:29 PM   #450

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
They will fit. I believe the reason for the different model years is the earlier years had amber corners and the later clear.
Thank you
Old 04-26-2014, 01:30 PM   #451

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Agree of letting this run its course. However if your friend is making these commercially, chances are he has those gigantic machines and presses. Seen those before... it is disturbing mate believe me. Our problem is min. qty to for him to break even (you can't say NO to a friend!). We'll need to buy min 500pcs of this small seal just so he can at least cover the cost of the energy required for heating his machine's rollers (used to melt the rubber). Molds cost are not included yet... those can go up nasty as well even if they are made of aluminum.

RE material; they will be most likely made of EPDM rubber. Or request for them to be (please )

The alternative:

Someone (Charles, you there?) to buy the casting kit and do them at home. Perfect for a small qty run. Doesn't require much to get this done in less than 48hrs (for someone that never done casting before). You just need a pint of casting silicon + catalyst and some modeling clay (plasticine?) to do a two-parts mold. Tutorials all over Youtube (I've just checked).

The rubber is also sold by the same sellers selling those DIY casting kits. They come in a liquid form with curing time ranging from 6 ~16hrs. Silicon rubber being one of the best and most used although not the cheapest. You can colour this stuff using plain dyes (black, gray, red, pink, whatever). Very high heat resistant... not sure about discoloration under UV however (might turn white, but after ten years).

Molding/Casting/Replicating a part is as easy as making a chocolate cake in all honesty. Today you can find resins in liquid form of any sort (silicon based, rubber, epoxies, acrylics, plastics, what else....)

Youtube "casting two part mold" type search. I've done a lot of that in the past (custom gaskets, o-rings, little plastic gears, anything really). Very fun and relaxing hobby
He has pulled off min buys of 50 on many items so lets see how this plays out.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:24 PM   #452

Hey guys just letting you know I'm still alive and have not forgotten about the seals. Yesterday I received the sample seal from Charles and will be mailing it to the manufacturer for his analysis on how feasible it is to make these. As soon as I hear anything I will share with the community.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:24 PM   #453

Garage
…last two pics, Porsche is mis-spelled.
'04 Boxster S Special Edition #397
'04 911 40th Anniversary Edition #940
'06 Cayman S
BugsFerBrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 04:28 PM   #454

Quote:
Hey guys just letting you know I'm still alive and have not forgotten about the seals. Yesterday I received the sample seal from Charles and will be mailing it to the manufacturer for his analysis on how feasible it is to make these. As soon as I hear anything I will share with the community.
Count me in. I'm also interested in a set of new rubber seal

Had a first run with the car and the headlights. I couldn't believe this

Amazing kit Fred thanks
davescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:22 AM   #455

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsFerBrains View Post
…last two pics, Porsche is mis-spelled.
Wow Thanks for looking You are the only one who picked it up lol
Old 05-21-2014, 08:38 AM   #456

Anyone tried painting the reflectors body color yet? If so, have pics?
Old 05-21-2014, 04:56 PM   #457

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightbox View Post
Anyone tried painting the reflectors body color yet? If so, have pics?
One that I like very much is Norm's set-up:
(member Clickman)

But I think what you are asking is, is there any exotic colors out there. Not seen one yet although I have anodized a set of bezels in 'PINK' for a 996 based in Japan. Not going to upload pictures of this as I've been trying to find a way to forget about those ever since

That is pretty exotic imo:
Old 05-22-2014, 09:00 AM   #458

You mention using high temp paint in your retrofit instructions, and recommend painting the underside of the housing. I have a can of factory match guards red paint, unfortunately it isn't high-temp paint. Does that section of the housing experience elevated temps as well? I've also heard the VHT red brake caliper paint is a near-perfect match - maybe I can use that if it is really a close enough match.

Hoping for a look something along the lines of the orange RUF you posted or this:

I'll give it a go and post the results when I get the kit in. If it really looks great, I'll have to upgrade to the custom bezels with a RUF script!
Old 05-24-2014, 01:42 PM   #459

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightbox View Post
I have a can of factory match guards red paint, unfortunately it isn't high-temp paint. Does that section of the housing experience elevated temps as well? I've also heard the VHT red brake caliper paint is a near-perfect match - maybe I can use that if it is really a close enough match.
I'll be honest I've never bother to measure the temp inside the headlight. Not that it is complicated, just need a probe-style thermometer slipped in the high beam's socket. I am just assuming that being painted black, closed-envclosure, etc, it got to get hot in there on a day or two during the year (e.g. end of July, mid day, 105 degree, clear sky, headlight angled S-W) ouch! lol

Black is the only reason I would go for a reputable high temp spray paint. Yours will be red so temps will never reach those of black.

ps. The key really is the surface prep. I wet-sand the plastic with #600 and leave it in that rough condition for ultimate adhesion Spray paints normally fill that grit just perfectly and leave a 98% near perfect finish/surface. Two coats is often enough. I also degrease the parts to be painted with a commercial degreaser + rinsed in cold distilled water. It's permanent
Old 05-30-2014, 08:32 AM   #460

Quick update: The manufacturer has received the sample seal I sent and he is studying several ways to manufacture, it sounds like he will be able to make these but that's far from being official. Sounded like he may have a more precise reply in about a weeks time. I'm just trying to keep everyone in the loop as this progresses.