Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #141
Beginner

Garage
Yeah, after 120K and years in the hot Texas sun they are pretty much fried, inside and out.

Jamesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:18 AM   #142

Lights are almost finished. Last night I put them on the car without lenses to check all functions, and to align the beams. As much as I thought they were adjusted correctly using the horizontal line on the projector bowl as a guide, they were noticeably out of adjustment. After setting the adjustment and tightening the nuts, I locked them in place with some Goop, which is a flexible adhesive that dries harder than silicone.

The large plastic trim and metal reflectors were painted with VHT high temperature ceramic black pearl paint. Other than the switching relay I described in a previous post, no other changes were made.

I used an LED in place of the small parking light bulb. It compliments the 6000k xenon bulbs much better than the Edison bulb and would probably make a nice driving light because the white light floods the reflector bowl, although I doubt that I will make wiring changes for that to function.

I did think about using angel eyes mounted to the front of the reflector bowl, but I decided against it. That would be the perfect place for them, but they would be impossible to service once the lens is glued in place and I don't think that's the look I want to go along with this very conservative design. By the way, the car is Arctic Silver.

The only work left to do is to blow out any remaining dust, glue the lenses, and then give them a light polish. I bought them used and both have very light scratches. Then I'll wax them and apply Lamin-X film.

The beam is amazing on these projectors, with a well-defined cutoff that is much better than the lights on our A5 and new X3.

Last edited by MitchSF; 11-27-2013 at 04:39 AM.
MitchSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:37 AM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
My headlights stink. They are yellowed, burned, dead halogens. even after polishing the outside, which was a vast improvement, the best thing that can be said about them is "disappointing". This is a super interesting thread, and everyone posting on the thread knows whats going on. As an outsider looking in, can you tell me what the heck are your plans for the headlights your sanding? Oh yeah, sorry about the knuckles.
Probably best to read this thread from the beginning. There are many options and many ways to do this.

The lens in front of the reflector on one of my lights was cracked and yellowed, too. A previous owner installed one of the gold tipped high power bulbs. I think they are called Silverstar. They run much too hot for these lights. As particlewave mentioned, the lenses are not used with this conversion.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:59 PM   #144

Sorry for the delay in posting pictures everyone. There were some internal rumors about being internationally transferred that caused me to put to the car on hold for a few weeks.

The headlights have been in for 3-4 weeks now and they run great. The only downside is that it does effectively eliminate the high beams. I'll wash the car tomorrow and get some pictures up before it goes into the shop to get new speakers installed.
mayerstrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:26 AM   #145

Nice one guys, thanks x100! Really looking forward seeing your NEW boxsters' (frontend)

Mitch - funny you've noticed about the beam being identical if not better than factory xenon headlights. We've recently compared those high performance projectors (the same that you have) with the litronic on a 996 here to find out that they outperform those as well

And I still don't know why!!!

I fear to ask any more questions at the projector manufacturer here. I'm actually fearing that he'll rumble for another 45min about his angular data and otha R&D achievements RE 'elliptical' and 'improved optics' this & that. As much as I like learning new stuff, I won't get caught there again

I'm just so happy to hear it worked for you guys as well

John - I refund your shipping if you can shoot a link to the high resolution picture you'll take (of course DSLR, the one with the Zanzibar car under the Utah sunset shades). Not only I'll make it public and dirty, I want to print it out and keep it along a replica of your kit. It's plexi-glassed souvenir style mate.... all we do here is serious stuff lol
Old 11-28-2013, 06:20 PM   #146
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Almost there. Please ignore the mess...it's been a long week

A few finishing touches and time to close up
Btw, the last time I opened these headlights for the first projector install, I used way too much sealant and they were a huge PITA to open this time and I damaged the outer lip a bit near the fog lights on both units. Nothing that will show or affect the seal, but not pretty and I'm a little disappointed with myself
Attached Images

Last edited by particlewave; 01-28-2014 at 09:56 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:10 PM   #147
Custom User Title Here

Garage
And just for good measure, I added a single (very bright) multicolor LED to each shroud so that I can change the devil eye look once in a while or just enhance the neon green

They don't necessarily have to be on or even hooked up, but just in case I want them... They will be powered by the running/parking light circuit and hooked up to a relay so that they shut off when the headlights are on to preserve life (wouldn't be visible with headlights on anyway).
Attached Images

Last edited by particlewave; 01-28-2014 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:35 AM   #148

Let me share some top secret development with you:

Meet the NEW & MIGHTY Nitestalkers High Performance Bi-Xenon Projectors (no panic, the brand name is pure fiction for the moment LOL)

A few asked whether it was possible to add Angel Eyes to the kit. Especially the dudes based in Japan. I have a friend there who is marketing those projectors at the moment and its doing rather good - as if I wasn't busy enough with real life!

Those Angel Eyes will finally come "Optional" with the kit. The standard model without angel eyes will remain the main product of course but like every other products, it's always good to have some options.

So there you go (we designed this a week or two ago). Pure coincidence. Enjoy!

How it works:

^ 2mm*4mm slots are CNC'ed into the bezel. 32x of them.

^ I've designed a compartment to isolate the light emitted from the LEDs. This will be filled with high temp silicon over the LED ring circuit board. We don't want this to pollute the lens color which is often pitch black, or clear viewed from an angle.

^ I simply use a "Pure White" circular LED board and install a matte finish acrylic filter (see in greenish) to push out a colorful glow (red, yellow, green, etc.....). The matte finish acrylic is to prevent the nasty artificial LED glares so they look clean and soft looking.

^ Those are the ring that I am getting manufactured in OD80mm (the internals only, we throw away the plastic casing). It will be a 32x led board powerd by a miniature/external controller (kept away from the heat). The board/LEDs will dissipate their heat at the Bezel's 6061 T6 aluminum so no heat built-up (unlike common plastics!). The Angel Eyes mini controller connects to the Parking Light's +/-. Easy!

^ Using the filter design/concept, not only it cleans off the glares, colors are also unlimited. We will offer those in PINK, VIOLET, ORANGE, BLACKLIGHT, etc etc ect

Like it?

Last edited by Nine8Six; 11-29-2013 at 06:39 AM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:38 AM   #149

Garage
Fred,
Wow I guess I bought to early! LOL!
Van
Van914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:04 AM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van914 View Post
Fred,
Wow I guess I bought to early! LOL!
Van
Van - I personally prefer the standard one.... the same one you got for your Boxster mate. It's not that I don't like the angel eyes or the design, I think is damn cool, but it's just a personal preference. Might be because my 986 is already plenty tricked

If you haven't installed the one you already received I can take them back and replace them with one of those funky angel eyed projector kit instead. Extra shipping is on you mate (you loose).

EDIT: in fact, you would only need to buy another set of bezel w/ angel eye + the skirt. The HP projector, bulbs, ballasts, hardware etc are all the same fit so you get to keep those. Would be much cheaper than sending back the kit you already have

Happy to discuss

The prod deadline on those is for mid-December, ready to ship up to JP for xmas.

Last edited by Nine8Six; 11-29-2013 at 08:10 AM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:12 AM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
And just for good measure, I added a single (very bright) multicolor LED to each shroud so that I can change the devil eye look once in a while or just enhance the neon green
Great idea! If the LED is bright enough to see during the day, maybe it would make a good angel eye alternative. My lights are sealed, otherwise I'd experiment with this, too.

Last edited by MitchSF; 12-01-2013 at 05:16 AM.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:30 AM   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchSF View Post
Great idea! If the LED is bright enough to see during the day, maybe it would make a good angel eye alternative. My lights are sealed, otherwise I'd experiment with this, too.
Mitch, we actually just retrofitted a set of 996's this weekend here and borowed Particlewave's Devil Eyes idea (as he posted above). We mounted the (rgb)LED onto the solenoid casing and it glows quite right. I kinda like the dim'ed effect of the devil eyes more than the angel eyes (my pref anyway). Looks bad as*

We should be able to see them re-installed on the car this coming Wed so I'll try to snap a few pics during both day & evening time. Looked bright in the garage that is for sure
Old 12-05-2013, 06:39 AM   #153
Custom User Title Here

Garage
"What's the holdup?", you ask?
Well, I decided to cover up my gloss black from the previous projector install and went with matte black all around. Looks pretty sharp, I think.

Headlights are buttoned up and ready to be installed today
Unfortunately, it's all of 10 degrees outside.
Attached Images

Last edited by particlewave; 01-28-2014 at 10:06 AM.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #154

I may rip open my LED Projectors and replace these for a true custom look.

keep up the good work, madmods.
16 Mercedes C450 AMG
22 Tesla Model X Plaid
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
"What's the holdup?", you ask?
Well, I decided to cover up my gloss black from the previous projector install and went with matte black all around. Looks pretty sharp, I think.

Headlights are buttoned up and ready to be installed today
Unfortunately, it's all of 10 degrees outside.
This is looking sexy just sitting there on the workbench. I bet we will all have a blast when seen on your car. Absolutely love the day-light green effect
Old 12-06-2013, 08:18 AM   #156
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Thanks Fred
I had the easy part, though. These projectors are works of art

It's only about 15f degrees today, but the sun is shining. I may have to roll her out for some pics
Old 12-06-2013, 10:31 AM   #157

Yes!!! Pics!!!
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:43 PM   #158
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Here's one or two...

Last edited by particlewave; 01-04-2014 at 10:06 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:41 PM   #159

::UPDATE:: GT Style Projectors w/ Angel Eyes (release date)

Just a quick update on where I am at with the development of the Ultimate High Performance Bi-Xenon Projector for Porsche 9X6. With Angel Eyes of course

The COB LED boards are finally in and I am now preparing a bigger aluminum mold that I will be using to make the acrylic filters. The artificial LED glare is gone for info.... that was achieved by simply using a white filler mixed with the acrylic. Makes the filter cloudy and therefore acts as a perfect light diffuser. Great success with that.

Below are some visuals of the real deal. Green ranks high on my list of favorite color to design with so no questions as why green was the color used to develop the prototype! It happens that the other color are far more interesting (yellow, blue, red, white). The red being simply the sickest, and the white being the smartest/cleanest of all imo.

The final product will be ready on Dec 20th and ready to ship out on Dec 23rd. As usual I am accepting custom-work requests on those so contact me if you are interested in a kit.

^ This one above has a thick (2.5mm) acrylic diffuser installed. It doesn't glow much but emits strong enough to see the light tunneling out of the 32x slots around the bezel. 10x times more sexier than the BMW's angel eyes, unique design as well
Old 12-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #160

I applied the Lamin-X film today and installed the lights. Everything works perfectly. The spots on the lenses are water under the film, it needs a few days to set.

I'm still thinking about wiring the LED parking lights to an ignition source so they would work as angel eyes/driving lights.