Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2015, 05:48 AM   #1021

Garage
A shot of my gunmetal

iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:01 AM   #1022
Need For Speed

Garage
Looks great Bruce! Man these projectors sure spark up the Boxster headlights. Mine look just like yours.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:30 AM   #1023

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
Looks great Bruce! Man these projectors sure spark up the Boxster headlights. Mine look just like yours.
Yes they do, I am very happy with the results
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
Old 06-17-2015, 08:56 AM   #1024
ASE Certified Idiot

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
+1! I'm jealous! LOL
1990 Pontiac Trans Am GTA .:. 1990 Corvette ZR-1 (#1930) .:. 1992 Pontiac Firehawk (#010)
1931 Ford Model A Tudor .:. 1967 Pontiac GTO .:. 1986 Pontiac Trans Am basket-case
gtoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 11:06 AM   #1025

Garage
Bruce has all the cool stuff. He flies planes, has a cool ass Porsche... He probably stopped aging when he was 25.
Old 06-20-2015, 11:55 AM   #1026

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by amagalla View Post
Bruce has all the cool stuff. He flies planes, has a cool ass Porsche... He probably stopped aging when he was 25.
Now that's some funny stuff! My S is the coolest thing I own and it was less than half the cost of either of my two other vehicles, a truck and a Toyota Highlander. Without this forum, my Boxster would just be a plain Jane example. Thanks to this forum, I have those outstanding headlights(thanks Fred and Charles!), the OBC hack(Pdwight), the Skybreaker(Fred again), the one touch soft top(Shehadehd) and of course lots of various items from eBay I have a short shifter waiting in the garage(Ben) that looks like a work of art! Jake's spin on oil filter adapter. My calipers look better than new, I have an iPad mini installed that looks OEM, and a very reasonably priced performance exhaust, all thanks to the DIY section. Some really cool stuff and all of it because of a great group of guys, seriously, this forum is a pretty unique place. With the exception of a few spats and as long as we don't mention a certain animal that rhymes with "spats", things are pretty civil around here.

I just got in this morning at 4:50am after a 10 and a half hour flight, that will age you really fast But yes, flying airplanes is still pretty cool. It is all I have ever wanted to do and I know I am very fortunate to be able to get paid for something that I love doing
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
Old 06-20-2015, 12:54 PM   #1027

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
... all thanks to the DIY section. Some really cool stuff and all of it because of a great group of guys, seriously, this forum is a pretty unique place. With the exception of a few spats ... things are pretty civil around here.
What he said.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:15 PM   #1028

Finally, my lights are done! All the trouble I was having and it turned out I was only missing one small step to have them perfect.
That one step was sending them to Particlewave!
Seriously, anyone considering projectors, don't waste your time. Just have them shipped to Charles direct. I won't go into detail about everything he did for me because I don't want everyone to expect extra work but suffice to say, I'm stoked! He started on them one night and sent status pictures that very night. He shipped them out the next day. They were out of my hands eight days total! Pretty impressive, even before you realize that one of the lights, I had started on and completely butchered. Total basket case that one.

In the end, I can't sing Charles praise enough! Great guy, great work.

Now, I do still have one problem. While working on my first light, at one point I reinstalled it (the other light was still in, untouched) and my headlights wouldn't come on. Running lights, fogs, everything worked but headlamps. When Charles did my conversion, he installed them in his car and sent me photos so I know the lights themselves aren't the problem. Anyone have any ideas? Before I started, everything was perfect.
CHRISP357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:14 PM   #1029

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISP357 View Post
Finally, my lights are done! All the trouble I was having and it turned out I was only missing one small step to have them perfect.
That one step was sending them to Particlewave!
Seriously, anyone considering projectors, don't waste your time. Just have them shipped to Charles direct. I won't go into detail about everything he did for me because I don't want everyone to expect extra work but suffice to say, I'm stoked! He started on them one night and sent status pictures that very night. He shipped them out the next day. They were out of my hands eight days total! Pretty impressive, even before you realize that one of the lights, I had started on and completely butchered. Total basket case that one.

In the end, I can't sing Charles praise enough! Great guy, great work.

Now, I do still have one problem. While working on my first light, at one point I reinstalled it (the other light was still in, untouched) and my headlights wouldn't come on. Running lights, fogs, everything worked but headlamps. When Charles did my conversion, he installed them in his car and sent me photos so I know the lights themselves aren't the problem. Anyone have any ideas? Before I started, everything was perfect.
Echo that......
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:36 PM   #1030
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Hi Chris.
Glad you got them back ok and thanks for the kudos!
I probably spent 10-12 hours on them that first day, but I wanted to get them back to you ASAP.

So, both main beams aren't coming on? Angel eyes working ok?
I did find some bad wires that were missing insulation and shorted together...maybe a blown fuse, but IIRC, both have their own fuses so I doubt that. My next guess would be that the short cooked the contacts in the headlight switch.
I'll have a look at the wiring diagrams and see what all both headlights have in common.

Last edited by particlewave; 06-30-2015 at 06:43 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:58 PM   #1031
Custom User Title Here

Garage
After some research and memory refreshers, I'm 99% sure that your headlight switch is cooked. You describe the exact symptoms of a bad switch, so that's where I'd start

Fuses A9 and A10 are the low beam fuses, so check those, but I doubt they'd both blow at the same time.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:35 PM   #1032

Thanks Charles, I'm hoping for something easy. I'll order the switch tomorrow. Yes, angel eyes are working. Those red lights on a black car in a dark garage look so cool!
Old 06-30-2015, 08:58 PM   #1033
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Wow, those are expensive! You might check with Woody (itsnotanova) to see if he can set you up with a good used one at a decent price. There are some used on eBay, also, but Woody usually has the best prices.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:01 PM   #1034

Not really a fan of used electronics. I just ordered one for $158 including freight.
Thanks though!
Old 06-30-2015, 09:19 PM   #1035
Custom User Title Here

Garage
That's probably best, especially since these switches don't have a great track record.
With the HIDs, the load is dropped by about 1/3 on low beams (from 100 watts with halogen to 70 watts with HIDs), so that will help the new switch to last longer.

The main issue is that all of the current passes through the switch. With most cars, the switch just operates a low current draw relay which powers the headlights.

Last edited by particlewave; 06-30-2015 at 09:22 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:59 AM   #1036

Garage
When ordering from Pelican do these still come with a halo ring inside? Is there still a choice of color for the halo? I'm going to email Pelican to check also. Thank you
Old 07-09-2015, 06:29 PM   #1037

Just ordered from Pelican parts...was told order was processed and would be shipped...then got the dreaded email saying that all parts weren't ready for shipping no indication on when and my headlights were already boxed up and ready to be shipped for install...hope this doesn't take forever
tominpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:43 PM   #1038
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Yikes...I'll do some checking for you.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:27 PM   #1039

Just got an update, they found them and will be shipping out today! I will get my headlights shipped out over the weekend.

Thanks
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Yikes...I'll do some checking for you.
tominpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:35 AM   #1040

didn't search this entire huge thread to see if this has been posted already, but to the folks that created this cool idea, forget us penny-pinching 986 owners - here's where the rear $ are at:

Singer Style Headlights - Rennlist Discussion Forums

The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote