Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2014, 07:27 PM   #481

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Easy to do but then how many would do this to their beloved $2k litronics kit!
Ummm, so you're saying drop in replacement that can be undone? Ok I'm officially saving up for my kit. I'll have to look into the painting options.

2003 S, 6 Speed, PCM, PSM, Bose, Litronics with washers, on its' second LN IMSB, comfort top, UDP, 987 engine mount, 997 RMS, Koni Sport Shocks, H&R springs, Techno brace, comfort blinkers, nin8six windscreen, particlewave light up cubby
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:29 PM   #482

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Easy to do but then how many would do this to their beloved $2k litronics kit!
Sorry, but I think you are selling yourself short! Your kit is pretty amazing looking
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:44 PM   #483

Hmmm so all the factory levelling (sensors and projector movement for cars with the factory installed Litronics) will still be in play but one now has a more powerful projector in there...okay now we are talking.

Now can we get the high beam circuit running the same projector with high beam intensity.... and clear out the halogen? Would the stock movement of the projectors upwards screw up the high beam effect?

Do the above and blackout the reflectors?
Old 06-04-2014, 06:32 AM   #484
Gone

Garage

Davev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:04 AM   #485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davev View Post

Take me to your leader....awesome! Is this what I think it is?
Old 06-04-2014, 08:07 AM   #486
Gone

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
These are the lights from this thread. Just installed in the 986 last night. Projectors by Nine8Six/Assembled by particlewave.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:01 AM   #487

Quote:
Agreed, this looks great
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:39 AM   #488

Quote:
These are the lights from this thread. Just installed in the 986 last night. Projectors by Nine8Six/Assembled by particlewave.
Did you have factory Litronics? Did you retain all the auto levelling and aiming wizardry by simply swapping the projector?

What is your high beam and low beam like?

It looks like you have driving lights as well?
Old 06-04-2014, 09:59 AM   #489
Gone

Garage
I did not have Litronics nor leveling. I was looking to upgrade to Litronics but choose this. I know this is a long thread but there is a lot of info contained that I would defer to.
The lights are awesome --as are most all HID lights I have ever had. Running lights are the HALO LED's.

Me likey. But I am not the expert. Check user "particlewave"
Old 06-04-2014, 10:05 AM   #490
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Looking great Dave! I think the look is very stock, yet better than any stock option
Very nice look with your car color
Old 06-04-2014, 10:11 AM   #491
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Hmmm so all the factory levelling (sensors and projector movement for cars with the factory installed Litronics) will still be in play but one now has a more powerful projector in there...okay now we are talking.

Now can we get the high beam circuit running the same projector with high beam intensity.... and clear out the halogen? Would the stock movement of the projectors upwards screw up the high beam effect?

Do the above and blackout the reflectors?
To my knowledge, no one has attempted this with Lits yet. What Fred is referring to, I believe, is using all of the stock equipment with his bezel/shroud via an adapter plate, hence all of the stock lighting and leveling remains and only the look changes.

Very do-able
Old 06-04-2014, 11:08 AM   #492

Garage
My lits have an inner clear cover

Appears my Lits have a second clear cover over the HID bulb. I wonder if it would interfere with the retrofit?
2003 S, 6 Speed, PCM, PSM, Bose, Litronics with washers, on its' second LN IMSB, comfort top, UDP, 987 engine mount, 997 RMS, Koni Sport Shocks, H&R springs, Techno brace, comfort blinkers, nin8six windscreen, particlewave light up cubby
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:14 AM   #493
Gone

Garage
Thanks for putting the projectors in the lights for me. I would have buggered it up- or worse yet (and most likely) never gotten around to finishing. I think the choice to go 'no paint' was the right one for my car color.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:30 PM   #494

I still need to get particlewave to retrofit my LED custom headlights to use these awesome projectors.

I'll be seeing my car again on the 15th. Since the car is sitting in a shop and won't need any headlights, I'll probably extract them for particlewave.
16 Mercedes C450 AMG
22 Tesla Model X Plaid
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:54 AM   #495

OK guys another mini update . Just received an email from the vendor he has conducted pull tests ( didn't know this was needed ) on the satoprene and he's very happy with the results. Apparently next he's going to try silicone. Then the next will be a harder material, this harder material would drastically reduce the tooling costs. So this R&D is moving forward and he believes by late next week he " may " decide the material he is going to move forward with. I'm quite excited by the progress to date but looking forward to having some prototypes in my hands !
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:07 PM   #496

Eagerly awaiting results :-)
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:44 AM   #497

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Sorry, but I think you are selling yourself short! Your kit is pretty amazing looking
My selling skills are practically non-existent Bruce :/ Working on that lol

Thanks for the compliment anyway!!!
Old 06-09-2014, 03:46 AM   #498

Quote:
I did not have Litronics nor leveling. I was looking to upgrade to Litronics but choose this. I know this is a long thread but there is a lot of info contained that I would defer to.
The lights are awesome --as are most all HID lights I have ever had. Running lights are the HALO LED's.

Me likey. But I am not the expert. Check user "particlewave"
Nicely done. Yep that style works for me too... car looks so much younger.

Glad to hear you are happy with how the kit performs Dave. Thanks for that note mate. Anything you need from Shanghai beach you know where to find me (Charles got my mobby in case its urgent )
Old 06-09-2014, 03:50 AM   #499

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
Appears my Lits have a second clear cover over the HID bulb. I wonder if it would interfere with the retrofit?
The covers would need to go.

Coaster, Jaykay

I see both of you wants to retrofit Litronics. My advice on that subject is this. Many values the litronic as they are, factory, Porsche brand, DOT approved, whatever reasons. They are not bad lighting at all. If your plans are to go for full bi-xenon + CGT style front-end, the best would be to sell your Litronic to a member here and buy a NEW set of halogen to retrofit. You'll break even $-wise I'm sure, and someone will be pleased to have your Litronic I guarantee. Everybody's happy

If it would be me, that's what I would do anyway. Besides, no serious R&D nor design have been carried on Litronic headlights as yet :/
Old 06-09-2014, 03:52 AM   #500

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
OK guys another mini update . Just received an email from the vendor he has conducted pull tests ( didn't know this was needed ) on the satoprene and he's very happy with the results. Apparently next he's going to try silicone. Then the next will be a harder material, this harder material would drastically reduce the tooling costs. So this R&D is moving forward and he believes by late next week he " may " decide the material he is going to move forward with. I'm quite excited by the progress to date but looking forward to having some prototypes in my hands !
Thanks for the update!