Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2014, 11:40 AM   #321
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAN View Post
yeah, it is difficult.
My personal taste is to "Retro" the look of my "classic" Boxster...a Tribute to the old school 550/356/911 look, with decent (not too tacky ) chrome trims/applications...to give it even more soul

Back (installed):

Side (installed):

18" silver spokes Fuchsfelgen will follow in spring together with
original Aerokit I side skirts (ready to be installed)

Front: Just need to have something up front to keep the balance (photoshoped)...front lights would look fantastic in seal gray, but with eyeliner

I think yours would look great with seal grey interior, silver projectors to match the silver eyeliner, and maybe some real light grey tint on the amber, though I'm not opposed to just amber, either.
I think it looks good with these projectors

If you want some chrome up front, just leave the projector shroud raw aluminum and leave the reflector chrome.

Here's an old pic of mine with black interiors and cheap chrome projectors to give you an idea.

Attached Images

Last edited by particlewave; 03-09-2014 at 11:48 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:11 PM   #322
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Some bad photoshop with chrome reflector.
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2014, 08:33 PM   #323

Dragon Eyes

Here is my first crack at the "Dragon Eyes" modification and programming of the Projectors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=y07LMs5-zFA

I noticed my flashing security led on the dash and though it would be neat if the Projectors with their eyeball look had a dim red breathing glow to indicate an active security system.

Since Nine8six is in Asia who produced the cool projectors I thought coining a new term "Dragon Eyes" would be appropriate. Kinda looks like a slumbering dragons eyes.

Also a Porsche should always be meaner and cooler looking than a Beamer with Angel Eyes.

I programmed the LED breathing pattern using a Texas Instuments Microprocessor, about the size of a thumbnail $3, EZ430-F2012

I did the programming in "C" and uploaded it to the chip via USB dongle.

I need to adjust the breathing pattern to lengthen it and have some LED off cycle time to make it more dramatic.

Ray
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:51 AM   #324
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Some bad photoshop with chrome reflector.
Looks great!

Would LOVE to install those alu retrofit projectors in seal gray + amber,
... BUT sadly I would never pass a German TÜV-inspection with such an undoubtfully great, but "unlicensed non-OEM-DIY" solution" :ah:
Old 03-10-2014, 08:18 PM   #325

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
Here is my first crack at the "Dragon Eyes" modification and programming of the Projectors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=y07LMs5-zFA

I noticed my flashing security led on the dash and though it would be neat if the Projectors with their eyeball look had a dim red breathing glow to indicate an active security system.

Since Nine8six is in Asia who produced the cool projectors I thought coining a new term "Dragon Eyes" would be appropriate. Kinda looks like a slumbering dragons eyes.

Also a Porsche should always be meaner and cooler looking than a Beamer with Angel Eyes.

I programmed the LED breathing pattern using a Texas Instuments Microprocessor, about the size of a thumbnail $3, EZ430-F2012

I did the programming in "C" and uploaded it to the chip via USB dongle.

I need to adjust the breathing pattern to lengthen it and have some LED off cycle time to make it more dramatic.

Ray
Way kool Ray. Cant wait to see those installed and pulsing on the car. Unique, I like!
Old 03-10-2014, 08:31 PM   #326

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAN View Post
Looks great!

Would LOVE to install those alu retrofit projectors in seal gray + amber,
... BUT sadly I would never pass a German TÜV-inspection with such an undoubtfully great, but "unlicensed non-OEM-DIY" solution" :ah:
Of course you would.

Given you go for the factory 4,3k color temp bulb only (no bleu, purple fancy stuff for ya I'm afraid)

It's a "technical" inspection, nothing personal or feelings attached with the various part manufacturers of what your car is made of - which is a lot. Below is what germany regulates officially only. Although I wouldn't be surprised they ask you to remove the chrome frame covering your indicator :/

· Headlight alignment- Aim of a headlight not within limits prescribed in regulations. Lamp color, position, or intensity not in accordance with regulations. Headlight height less than 56 centimeters or higher than 137 centimeters.

· Incorrect turn signals- Light color, position, or intensity not according to regulations.

and don't forget your medic kit. That also will prevent you from buying gas if you don't pass your tuv
Old 03-11-2014, 09:46 AM   #327
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Of course you would.

Given you go for the factory 4,3k color temp bulb only (no bleu, purple fancy stuff for ya I'm afraid)

It's a "technical" inspection, nothing personal or feelings attached with the various part manufacturers of what your car is made of - which is a lot. Below is what germany regulates officially only. Although I wouldn't be surprised they ask you to remove the chrome frame covering your indicator :/

· Headlight alignment- Aim of a headlight not within limits prescribed in regulations. Lamp color, position, or intensity not in accordance with regulations. Headlight height less than 56 centimeters or higher than 137 centimeters.

· Incorrect turn signals- Light color, position, or intensity not according to regulations.

and don't forget your medic kit. That also will prevent you from buying gas if you don't pass your tuv
Beware of an expired medic kit...Mister Policeman won't be too happy
Of course , you are right, nothing is impossible, even to pass the TÜV with DIY equipment. But it is probably going to be a long, hard and expensive way to convince by expert opinions, certifications or sample expertise.

e.g. projectors need to have a washer system and automated height control...as far as i recall...or the inspector won't be happy.

well well...with all our regulations...at least the cars on the roads are safe, hopefully
Old 03-13-2014, 11:54 PM   #328
Custom User Title Here

Garage

Last edited by particlewave; 07-26-2014 at 11:23 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:47 PM   #329

well well well look what I just found....

Charles (Particlewave) did this 996 retrofit. He is also on rennlist if you own a 996. From what I've heard from a few guys who've used Charles' services, you won't get a better job done anywhere else - impeccable attention to details .

Quote from one of his customer: "....I didn't have time to do it myself and I am glad I didn't since he found a bunch of worn wires. He fixed everything for no extra money."

(niceee one Charles)

Last edited by Nine8Six; 03-14-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:27 AM   #330

I know I missed the answer but what bulb powers the angel eyes ?
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:46 AM   #331

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
I know I missed the answer but what bulb powers the angel eyes ?
lol a bit of a long thread isn't it

Old 03-15-2014, 10:48 AM   #332

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Hey Norm

Got the 25w LED tower with mini-built-in projectors as below for my high beam. Got the 25w for heat management. Although underpowered they are still stupid bright and output brilliantly I'm just assuming that the high power 50W LED tower are ridiculously HOT so careful there.

I didn't replace the fog with those but perhaps should have done so. You'd think that they are cheap here in Shanghai but they are not so I passed the fog lights idea for now.

Here a link of the same from a USA based seller. Surely they are also available locally in BC, CA.
H7 25W Cree High Power LED Projector FOG Light Lamp Daytime Running Driving | eBay
Fred,

Your reflector bowl is painted black, correct? Do these LED's still put out enough light for flashing? Just curious. I would like to go with black rather than keeping them chrome, I think it will look better with my Lapis Blue. Thanks.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:47 AM   #333

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Fred,

Your reflector bowl is painted black, correct? Do these LED's still put out enough light for flashing? Just curious. I would like to go with black rather than keeping them chrome, I think it will look better with my Lapis Blue. Thanks.
Hey Bruce

Yes. Puts out enough if you ask me. This, and the initial xenon burst/flash (I don't use a relay), is enough to blink someone in 'normal' daylight conditions.

Abnormal conditions being; let's say south Californian or Texan sunlight

I rarely blink others personally... although I had to use screaming once or twice. That also worked quite well

Glad to hear your going for the upgrade. Its a great mod you won't regret it
Old 03-16-2014, 06:17 AM   #334

Garage
Thanks for the info Fred! The last decision I have to make is Angel Eyes, or not. I like the clean looks of the projectors without them. The Angel Eyes look great on, from what I can tell, but..... I guess I am just not sold on those yet. Too many decisions I love the look of the 996 a couple of posts back, the lights look incredible! Very nice
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
Old 03-16-2014, 10:36 AM   #335

Hey Bruce, it sounds like we're on the same wavelength. I also like the look without the angel eyes (no offence, Fred ), want to paint the inside black or dark grey, and use the LED towers in the high beam position to flash.

The difference for me is that, with the need to have daytime running lights in my province, a friend is designing a relay circuit that will use the fog lights as DRLs rather than the low beams. I prefer not to use the xenon for DRL or flashing.

Therefore, for flashing, the LEDs will provide the light without the initial xenon burst / flash. (Although the cutoff shield solenoid will actuate.)
Old 03-19-2014, 11:43 AM   #336

Smile Marcos from Spain

Amazing threat! My best congratullations to both of you, I really admire your work and for sure Im gonna order a conversion kit to my loved 986! With people like you all is possible, will post soon for ordering

Congratulations again!
Marcos AMV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:43 PM   #337

Nice one Marco, much appreciated mate

I'll be at Gran Premio de España for the 4th round of motogp during the first weekend of May (Jerez circuit). I was wondering how far from you I was and found out yourself and your Boxster lives on a small island off the west the coast of Morocco. Fascinating!

Wanted to offer you a break on shipping and hand carry your projectors to Spain LOL shall you decide to get a kit before then
Old 03-20-2014, 06:53 PM   #338

Thumbs up

Yes, I live in a little island far away from the mainland

At that time is gonna dificult to me to travel but thank you for the offer

Im waiting to pick some money and order my kit soon :dance:

My car have already xenon lights but prefer the modern look of your kit, will paint the interior in black and order the focus with angel eye style LEDS and maybe the corp of the focus in red or grey my car is red as yours!

Will PM soon! cheers!
Marcos AMV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:03 AM   #339

I am pulling the trigger will send a PM to Particleweave to finalize. I am opting for a stealth look for my Arctic Silver car how do you guys think this will look ?

Option1: Clear shroud
Option2: Silver bezel
Option3: No angel eyes
Option4: Bare/OEM headlight shroud
Option5: Bare/OEM reflector
Option6: high beam flash yes
Option7: Porsche Motorsports Optics script
Option8: color temp 4300K

I will be sending Particle a spare set of housings so I'm not in a rush. Looking forward to see how they look/perform. I just read all 15 pages ( again ) for about the 10th time so I hope my choices are good ones. Thanks to all that have posted it made the option choosing a little easier.
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:29 AM   #340

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
I am pulling the trigger will send a PM to Particleweave to finalize. I am opting for a stealth look for my Arctic Silver car how do you guys think this will look ?

Option1: Clear shroud
Option2: Silver bezel
Option3: No angel eyes
Option4: Bare/OEM headlight shroud
Option5: Bare/OEM reflector
Option6: high beam flash yes
Option7: Porsche Motorsports Optics script
Option8: color temp 4300K

I will be sending Particle a spare set of housings so I'm not in a rush. Looking forward to see how they look/perform. I just read all 15 pages ( again ) for about the 10th time so I hope my choices are good ones. Thanks to all that have posted it made the option choosing a little easier.
I am thinking about the same only Angel eyes-yes, and 5000K on the color temp, I like a little bit whiter light.

iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights