Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2016, 06:34 AM   #561

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
I wish that I had tricks that were worth protecting!

With that being said, I do have all of the data but I have not yet mastered the software that let's me merge it with video and create the overlays. Maybe I'll try it once since it might be be as hard or time consuming as I imagine.
I use RaceRender 3. It works good although syncing is the tedious part.

rastta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:49 AM   #562

What camera and mount are you using? I just realized how stable your video is compared with the videos I take. Do you do a processing step to remove shake? If so what do you use?

Thanks,

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:30 AM   #563

Quote:
Temptation comes in many forms.

In one of my earlier posts, I mentioned that IF I was to think about where to go next in racing, I posted that I might consider moving to an air cooled 911 race car. To me, the air cooled cars are the epitome of Porsche amateur racing and they require a certain skill to race competently - something that I would love to learn to do well.

Then last week, I was contacted by someone who wanted to know if I want to buy the car pictured below. This is like someone asking if you want to marry Alessandra Ambrosio. Click though and see what I mean, but I'm sure that you get the point.

I went and inspected the car on Sunday and took it for a test drive. It was everything that it was supposed to be and maybe a little more. The price was within my budget. I'll admit, I was more than a little bit smitten with the car.

But this would mean having to sell the Spec Boxster.

To make a long story short - after a lot of back and forth in my mind along with consulting my good friend and last year's Spec Boxster Champion Alex Bermudez, I decided to take my own advice - don't upgrade the car until you can out drive it.

The cold, hard truth is that I am still not a better race driver than the Spec Boxster is a race car. I am still 1-1.5 seconds behind the best drivers in the class and I do not consistently place in the Top 3. To me, that says that I still have things to learn in Spec Boxster and they would only be harder to learn by moving to a car with more power and a completely different driving characteristic.

But if I was to buy the 911 anyway, I would look really, really, really good while learning those lessons!

So, the bottom line is that I'm staying with the Boxster.

But oh, oh, oh, the temptation.

Take it from some one that tracks a Spec944, Boxster S, and a 911 RSR -- and I suck at all of them :-) Front engine, mid-engine, rear -- doesn't matter - I enjoy them all for different reasons -- and I'm never as fast as I'd like to be -- but you do develop car control skills :-)

You really did make the right choice. But the 911 sure is pretty -- and like mine, when I get it right -- it's sex on 4 wheels.

However, I do enjoy the Boxster S the most -- reliable, forgiving, quick and generally easy to drive.

But don't listen to me -- I'm a moving chicane -- what do I know :-)

Mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:35 PM   #564
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spendy View Post
Tom-
Did you get a chance to weigh your glass windshield?
I'm very curious how much weight the lexan saves.

thanks
The Boxster has been up on the lift waiting for the delivery of the second power steering line so I haven't had the lexan windshield installed yet. As soon as I do, I'll weigh the glass windshield and post it!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:57 PM   #565
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
What camera and mount are you using? I just realized how stable your video is compared with the videos I take. Do you do a processing step to remove shake? If so what do you use?

Thanks,

Steve
Hey Steve, I don't do any preprocessing or anything special, the stability is simply from the camera. The Mobius 1080p camera is impossible to beat for $75.

Mobius Action Camera 1080P

For the mount, I use a RAM dual ball mount with the base attached to the roll bar with a hose clamp. The Mobius cam is controlled (on/off) and powered from the TraqMate/TraqDash data system.

Its a somewhat low-tech setup that works really well. Credit goes to Brad Roberts for the recommendation and installation.

Here is a photo of the mount...
1979 911 SC

Last edited by thstone; 06-08-2016 at 08:00 PM.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:21 AM   #566

Quote:
Hey Steve, I don't do any preprocessing or anything special, the stability is simply from the camera. The Mobius 1080p camera is impossible to beat for $75.

For the mount, I use a RAM dual ball mount with the base attached to the roll bar with a hose clamp. The Mobius cam is controlled (on/off) and powered from the TraqMate/TraqDash data system.

Its a somewhat low-tech setup that works really well. Credit goes to Brad Roberts for the recommendation and installation.
I will check that out, I have a Hero 4 Black that has been nothing but trouble so I am returning it. $75 sounds pretty sweet Thank you!

Steve
Old 06-09-2016, 07:00 AM   #567

Quote:
I will check that out, I have a Hero 4 Black that has been nothing but trouble so I am returning it. $75 sounds pretty sweet Thank you!

Steve
I hate my GoPro's - always something going wrong - usually battery related. However- the investment right now is too high to just dump them.
Looking at this as an alternative.....

Replay XD 1080 Mini Camera
rastta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 03:43 PM   #568
Certified Boxster Addict

The Good News: I got the front portion of the high pressure power steering hose replaced this week. It was actually fairly easy to replace since the connection to the power steering rack is accessable with the front wheel removed and push mount into the steering rack with a single bolt and bracket (#10 and #11 in diagram).

The two photos below shows how much force the old line endured; the original/replacement line has a Z plus a 90deg bend whereas the damaged line was pulled almost completely straight after being ripped from under the car. Surprising that it didn't completely break apart into two pieces.

The Bad News: Filled the power steering system and after starting the car, I found that the front portion of the low pressure return line was leaking where it meets the connector under the car. So #2 in the diagram also needs replacement and I'll have to get another liter of CH-11S fluid.

This is what the original/replacement power steering line looks like:

This what the damaged power steering line looked like:

I've already replaced #9 and #1. Next, #2. To be safe, I also ordered #5.
1979 911 SC

Last edited by thstone; 06-12-2016 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:08 AM   #569

Quote:

Here is a photo of the mount...
Thanks for the tip -- been having issues with my old Go-Pro -- I was planning on replacing with a new one -- but for 1/4 the price -- I'll give the Mobius a go.

Will probably see if I can configure it to turn on when connected to 12v power so I don't have to be a contortionist when I'm strapped in and and forget :-)

I'm going to try a Go-pro roll bar mount with double stick to the Mobious and a zip-tie reinforcement.

Hopefully get out to COTA this weekend to give it a try.

Mike
Old 06-13-2016, 12:43 PM   #570

Quote:
Originally Posted by seningen View Post
Will probably see if I can configure it to turn on when connected to 12v power so I don't have to be a contortionist when I'm strapped in and and forget :-)
I just ordered mine today too, and I do believe that is one of the settings - to start recording when the power is applied. I am going to add a switch to my oil temp/pressure gauge panel and run a wire up the center console so I can turn it on by flipping the switch. My old gopro, which I sent back today, I had to reach around and squeeze an awkward button, while trying not to bump the mount and have it be aimed all over the place.

The one thing I couldn't find is if I can flip the video like with go prop since I am hanging mine down from my BK bar and not upright like with Tom's setup, but I think my setup mimics the default setup when hanging down from the windshield so I should be ok. Edit: just found the answer, yes I can rotate it 180: http://www.buymobius.com/pages/how-to-configure-the-mobius-actioncam-for-use-as-a-dash-camera and also I think this is the enthusiast site I mentioned before.

I bought mine from this Amazon vendor:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GPUEOVK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Based on some information from an enthusiast forum about the Mobius (which of course I can't find now) - apparently there are older versions out there but this one is the latest and greatest.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:10 PM   #571

steved0x, did you order the standard angle lens ("A", 86°) or the wide angle lens ("C2", 131°)?

thstone, same question...

Specs

The standard angle camera is 2.40" x 1.40" x 0.75".

The standard angle lens does not look distorted at either 1080 or 720.

The wide angle camera is 2.40" x 1.72" x 0.75".

The wide angle lens at 1080 looks a bit fisheye. At 720 it does not look distorted.

Last edited by Greg Holmberg; 06-13-2016 at 05:17 PM.
Greg Holmberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 05:28 PM   #572

I ordered non wide angle based on my reading. As soon as it comes I I'll take a drive and report back.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:57 PM   #573

Quote:
I ordered non wide angle based on my reading. As soon as it comes I I'll take a drive and report back.
I went with standard -- I will see how it does this weekend.

I mentioned it to a friend who told me his only drawback was setting it up.

Since there is no preview - trying to get it aligned and in proper view was a PITA.

setup, record, download, view, adjust repeat.

I'm hoping to use a level and limit the iterations

Mike
Old 06-13-2016, 06:33 PM   #574

seningen, regarding getting it positioned, I'm planning to use it in webcam mode (no memory card), connected via USB to my Android phone, running the Harry's lap-timer app. So I should be able to see the image on the phone's screen, and position the camera that way.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:13 PM   #575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Holmberg View Post
seningen, regarding getting it positioned, I'm planning to use it in webcam mode (no memory card), connected via USB to my Android phone, running the Harry's lap-timer app. So I should be able to see the image on the phone's screen, and position the camera that way.
Interesting -- do you have a pointer to documentation to do this (preferably for an Apple phone :-)

Would be nice to set it up this way -- probably great for data overlay, etc.

I have Harry's GrandPrix edition.

Mike
Old 06-14-2016, 02:24 PM   #576

Mike--

Well, it's really just wishful thinking on my part, since I don't have the camera yet. Here's the information I can find.

Harry's lap-timer on iOS supports external cameras via USB. It lists GoPro and Sony, but not Mobius.

General documentation here. Specifically about video here. FAQ's and how-to here.

Mobius instructions here, including how to use it in web-cam mode.

Hope this helps.

Greg
Old 06-17-2016, 07:31 PM   #577
Certified Boxster Addict

How I keep track of what still needs to be done....

1979 911 SC
Old 06-25-2016, 07:20 AM   #578
Certified Boxster Addict

I go out early this morning to install the 3rd portion of power steering line but can't find the 12mm hex socket to remove the mounting bracket for the lines to the steering rack. I know that I used it when I replaced the 2nd portion and I am usually fastidious about keeping track of my tools for exactly this reason. WTF. Dammit.

I search around under the car, in the workshop, and everywhere else that I can think of and no joy.

I find another hex head that is close and decide to give that a try and hope that I don't strip the hex socket on the bolt. Give it a good strong pull and it the bolt comes loose. Ok, so maybe today isn't going to be a total screwed up day.

While doing all of this, I am using a work light to see and I happen to notice a little glint of light from something off to the right, so I swing the light over and find this...

The socket must have fallen off the extension when I installed the 2nd power steering line and fell down into this recess in the control arm. Quite amazed that I found it!

Waiting for the fluid to drain out and then I'll install the new line, re-fill, and give it a test.

1979 911 SC
Old 06-25-2016, 06:55 PM   #579

Quote:
I go out early this morning to install the 3rd portion of power steering line but can't find the 12mm hex socket to remove the mounting bracket for the lines to the steering rack. I know that I used it when I replaced the 2nd portion and I am usually fastidious about keeping track of my tools for exactly this reason. WTF. Dammit.

I search around under the car, in the workshop, and everywhere else that I can think of and no joy.

I find another hex head that is close and decide to give that a try and hope that I don't strip the hex socket on the bolt. Give it a good strong pull and it the bolt comes loose. Ok, so maybe today isn't going to be a total screwed up day.

While doing all of this, I am using a work light to see and I happen to notice a little glint of light from something off to the right, so I swing the light over and find this...

The socket must have fallen off the extension when I installed the 2nd power steering line and fell down into this recess in the control arm. Quite amazed that I found it!

Waiting for the fluid to drain out and then I'll install the new line, re-fill, and give it a test.

I usually reserve my knee cap or a vertebrae for finding wayward tools...

And brake rotor scalp treatments....

Such is the life of the 'budget' Porsche racer :-)

Mike
Old 06-26-2016, 08:51 AM   #580

thanks for finding it, otherwise my tire would find it on the track

bkovac is offline   Reply With Quote