Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2015, 01:25 PM   #381

I can add a data point - in October I was at Roebling and my oil pressure was dropping in the sweepers. I added the LN Engineering 2 QT Deep Sump with X-51 baffle, and this past weekend at Road Atlanta my oil pressure did not drop. There are some possible "catches" however:

Catch 1 - I did not data log or have a camera - the oil pressure drops were "recorded" by the instructors riding with me watching the gauge at my request, and by me (foolishly) quickly peeking down during a steady state portion of a sweeper.

Catch 2 - RRR is my home track. While I am not in the fastest drivers there, it is the fastest for me and the car is cornering harder there for me.

Catch 3 - I have only ever been to Road Atlanta once before and that was 18 months ago. While RRR is pretty flat (as are all the other tracks I have gone to) and it is wide open with lots of runoff room, Road Atlanta has lots of elevation, and also lots of walls. 2 cars were heavily damaged when I was there last June, and this past weekend 2 more were heavily damaged (1 still drivable) and 2 others damaged but drivable due to a tailgating type collision. I bought the track insurance, and took it easy. And the corners are different. For me turn 1, 4, and 6 were the ones that I had my passenger watch the oil gauge on, and they reported no drops - the needle stayed steady at around 60'ish. Turn 4, a left hand sweeper before the esses is probably the one most like some of the turns at RRR.

The real test will be next time I go to RRR so it can be an apples to apples comparison, and maybe I can have a go pro setup to record the oil pressure gauge.

But I feel pretty confident that the issue is greatly mitigated. Also one difference was that the oil temp barely ever went above 200 F, where at RRR on my fastest laps it got over 200 but less than 220, maybe 215'ish? That may be due to the extra 2 quarts of oil I was running or that is was cold as $%^& this past weekend, water temp only ever briefly moved above the 180 hash mark.

I got a good deal on the LN Skid Plate so I put that on too. Probably not necessary since my car is not lowered. Charles N of LN engineering has an early Boxster with a 911 engine (so the engine is 1 inch lower) and he is lowered suspension too I believe. He said he ran without the plate for a while and was fine, but recently he went to pass a car on the highway and ran over some roadkill that lifted the whole back of the car up, and he said he was glad of the skid plate then. The front part mounts on the two lower bolts that hold the engine mount to the engine. The back part mounts on the two forward bolts of the diamond sheet metal brace. In my opinion this ties the engine to the rear frame and makes some interesting sounds. I kind of isolated it in the back with some rubber and fiber washers and I am trying to think up a solution to put some bushings or something back there, I can definitely tell the plate is on and while you don't hear or feel it at the track, at street speeds/noise there is some kind of unpleasant noises/rattling going on. Maybe the skis plate is rattling my rear trailing arms which are probably shot...

It took 11 quarts to fill it up the middle segment between the high and low mark on the dash gauge which is where I like to run it to avoid smoke bombs.

I am looking forward to reading more about Tom's install and experiences. I will say I love Reinzosil, it is 10,000,000,000 times easier than Loctite 5800 (or 5900 or whichever the one it is) to apply.

Steve

PS My oil temp sender is in the unused port on the driver side cover (where DOF oil feed would go), Chris Zang has a guide on here somewhere, and for oil pressure I replaced the oil pressure switch with a VDO oil pressure sender with warning terminal, not the Porsche part but the regular VDO part. I used part number VDO 360009 with an adapter (I should have gotten 360028 which had the right size with no adapter needed), and VDO 323055 oil temp sender.

steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 07:53 AM   #382

Thanks for the contribution! I did forget to include the feedback on the deep sump pans being a risk, especially for folks that like to hop curbs, in an off situation where the ground is a bit uneven (we see that at a few of the tracks out here in CO).
ianacole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 06:21 PM   #383
Certified Boxster Addict

I feel the need, the need for ....

Practice at Willow Springs today. Two races tomorrow, one race on Sunday.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 04:17 AM   #384

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Practice at Willow Springs today. Two races tomorrow, one race on Sunday.
Good luck!

Post up some video afterwords.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:01 PM   #385

Quote:
I feel the need, the need for ....
"SPEED"

Cool.... can't wait for the videos.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD

Last edited by Chuck W.; 12-05-2015 at 07:03 PM.
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 02:54 PM   #386
Certified Boxster Addict

Ok, been busy lately at work and at the racetrack!

Turns out that I don't have any video from Buttonwillow and I don't have any video from the races at Willow Springs! Damn!

I am not sure what the problem is but video recording is intermittent - sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't (with more doesn't than does).

I am digging into my TraqMate data system to figure out what is going on there.

Regardless, racing at Willow Springs two weeks ago with the POC was great but the competition was brutal. I qualified 4th with a 1:34.7 but the current points leader, Alex Bermudez, went out and set a new BSR/SPB track record at 1:32.0! That is blazing fast for a 200hp car with no aero and DOT legal tires.

For the record;

Race 1: Started 4th, finished 5th of 8 cars
Race 2: Started 4th, finished 6th of 10 cars

Overall, I raced well but I just don't have the speed of the front runners. To address this, first, I plan to spend time practicing at WSIR to work on my times. While I may not have the skill to get into the 1:32's, I should be able to get into the low 1:33's which would make me much more competitive.

Second, I plan to drop as much weight out of the car as I can over the holidays since I am still 40-50 lbs heavy and that is like towing an anchor.

On the good side, there is a lot of very close, competitive, wheel to wheel racing to be had in the middle of the pack! In the second race, I did almost a half lap side-by-side another car the entire time - neither of us was willing to give up the spot without a battle! In terms of racing, this type of experience is much more rewarding then time trialling at the front of the field all by yourself (boring!).

At least, that I what I like to tell myself!
1979 911 SC
Old 12-14-2015, 03:06 PM   #387
Certified Boxster Addict

I also have a fairly long list of season end maintenance, repairs, and upgrades to do;

1. New brake pads and rotors
2. Tranmission fluid change
3. Oil and filter change
4. 2-qt deep sump and horizontal baffle install (Pedro's Technosump)
5. Fix intermittent video camera operation
6. Add engine compartment fan manual switch
7. Reduce weight of car by 40 lbs
8. Reduce weight of driver by 10 lbs (trying to be realistic!)
9. Replace safety harness (5-yr replacement due)
10. Upgrade to a full containment racing seat (safer)
11. Upgrade center dash panel with carbon fiber wrap and aerospace grade switches/controls
12. Fill in car numbers to be solid (the outline numbers can be hard for corner workers to read)
13. New racing gloves (worn out)
14. New helmet (over 100 track days and the inside is pretty gross)

This should keep me busy!
1979 911 SC
Old 12-14-2015, 04:44 PM   #388

That's a good list. You going to go with red or white number fill? My opinion, since you're not asking , would be red.

Would love to see what you end up with the switches. I've been evaluating options on that front.
ianacole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 05:03 AM   #389

Quote:
10. Upgrade to a full containment racing seat (safer)
Two weekends ago I was at a track day and a gentleman had two of the "Bimarco Grip" FIA Halo seat installed in his Subie.

He had the version with the leather wear patch on the bolsters:
Bimarco Grip Racing Rally Bucket Seat FIA NASA Approved Leather Enhancements | eBay

There is a slightly less expensive version without the wear patch:
Bimarco Grip Racing Rally Bucket Seat FIA NASA Approved WRC | eBay

I am 6'2" with a tallish torso and 36" waist, 230# and I fit this seat perfectly. I have also sat in their Bimarco Futura and it was just a tiny bit tighter in the waist, but then I think I lost about 10# since then. My understanding is that if a person buys two they can put it in one box and save on shipping, but that may be just the non-halo seats which can be flipped and nested together.

If I ever go to a full containment seat, and I can't find a smoking deal on the Recaro XL Halo seat (another one that fits me perfectly) I will probably get this one.

Sparco also makes what I believe is called an "Ergo" - it is a halo seat with removable halo wings for street driving. I have seen several sets of these and they look very sharp.

Looking forward to the next write-up, should be a big one with all your upcoming projects

Steve
Old 12-22-2015, 07:47 PM   #390
Certified Boxster Addict

Selecting a new racing seat was a lot more complex than I had originally imagined!

Steve, thanks for all of the suggestions; I took at look at each seat that you mentioned and found many, many more on my own. Sheesh, there are a lot of seats out there.

In the end, I bought a Sparco Ergo halo seat with the removable wings in case they need to be removed for the drive to/from the track. I got a good deal on it at $695 with free shipping.

One reason for staying with Sparco is that I am hoping to be able to re-use the existing mount/slider from my Sparco Pro2000 Plus seat.

Looking at new harnesses next...

Install pic's coming over the holidays!

1979 911 SC
Old 12-23-2015, 06:52 AM   #391
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Selecting a new racing seat was a lot more complex than I had originally imagined!

Steve, thanks for all of the suggestions; I took at look at each seat that you mentioned and found many, many more on my own. Sheesh, there are a lot of seats out there.

In the end, I bought a Sparco Ergo halo seat with the removable wings in case they need to be removed for the drive to/from the track. I got a good deal on it at $695 with free shipping.

One reason for staying with Sparco is that I am hoping to be able to re-use the existing mount/slider from my Sparco Pro2000 Plus seat.

Looking at new harnesses next...

Install pic's coming over the holidays!

Merry Christmas to me
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 07:51 PM   #392
Certified Boxster Addict

Getting ready to order solid numbers - what color do you like best; Gold, Yellow, or Red?

1979 911 SC
Old 12-23-2015, 07:55 PM   #393

Garage
I like the Gold, it seems to flow better with the rest of the lettering. The red gets lost and the yellow just doesn't match the as well as the gold does. Just one man's opinion.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 05:59 AM   #394

Gold looks good!
rastta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 06:10 AM   #395

Yeah, I have to go with gold too. Is there a significance to your numbers "254"? Or, are you assigned the numbers?

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 06:13 AM   #396

I like Gold, the red is hard to read.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:30 AM   #397
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post
Yeah, I have to go with gold too. Is there a significance to your numbers "254"? Or, are you assigned the numbers?
Generally, POC and PCA let you pick the number of your choice out of the numbers that are not already in use. Each club has guidelines pertaining to maintaining your number and changing numbers.

Of course, 001 is in high demand and 666 is not.

In my case, 54 is a number that I have used in various ways over the many years, but 054 was already in use as well as 154. So, 254 was the next logical choice.
1979 911 SC
Old 12-24-2015, 12:49 PM   #398

413 is my wife's birthday and also her favorite scripture, Philippians 4:13. I use that number in an attempt to take some of the heat off when I go to a track event

Old 12-25-2015, 06:14 PM   #399
Certified Boxster Addict

While no video was recored during the last races at Willow Springs, I did get a few nice photos;

A pack of snarling Boxster's coming up the omega into Turn 4...

Close competition is the name of the game in Spec Boxster racing...

Nice side shot ...

On the grid, waiting to go out...
1979 911 SC
Old 12-26-2015, 03:45 PM   #400
Certified Boxster Addict

Back to oil starvation.... I decided to go with a 2 qt deep sump and the EBS X-51 style baffle to reduce the risk of oil starvation. I looked at the Accusump kits and I am still not convinced that they address the oil starvation issue any better than a deep sump while the cost and installation effort for the Accusump system is quite a bit higher.

I started with Pedro's TechnoSump kit which includes everything needed except the EBS baffle; sump extension, oil pickup extension, oil return extensions, horizontal baffle, vertical baffle spacers, longer sump bolts, sump sealant, and MOST IMPORTANT, a sealant tube winder/key so I can get the dang sealant out of the tube!

Thanks to Steve (steved0x) for the EBS baffle. Even though I already have an EBS baffle in my car, having having another one let me build up the entire assy prior to dropping my sump.

As you can see, the horizontal baffle is pre-cut for the factory sump baffle not the EBS unit. Thus, I will have to do a little modding of the horizontal baffle (see pen lines in last photo) so the EBS unit mounts flush on top of the horizontal baffle. This means enlargement of the pickup/return area and cut outs for the orange rubber coated oil dams.

1979 911 SC